Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: American IPA

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-12-2004

Ratings: 5,268 |  Reviews: 1,836

1.08/5  rDev -73.6%

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

1.73/5  rDev -57.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

1.73/5  rDev -57.7%

I've had this beer multiple times and I don't know why I keep doing it to myself. A hazy golden amber pour. The aroma is poor to say the least. Astringent hops, chemicals, smells of hop over-extraction. The flavor is terrible. Extremely bitter. Resinous, biting bitterness, weak malt flavors struggle to make themselves known. Some grapefruit? Pine? Little complexity. A poor attempt at an ipa. Shocked people enjoy this so much.

Edit: I've tried to go back and edit this review as it almost doesn't seem fair to give it an F but I can't change a thing. This beer is awful.

1.75/5  rDev -57.2%

12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A- Clear amber. Grayish off-white head, some lacing.

S- Not much to smell. Some bready malts, a bit of spicy hop, but I’m being generous. Basically smells like a Coors Light.

T- Bitter moreso than truly hoppy. Very little malt to back up the bite. The aftertaste is so sour it’s patently offensive. Tastes skunked. Not sure if that’s the alcohol I’m tasting, but I hope so.

MF- Medium carbonation. Fairly robust body coats the mouth, which unfortunately lets the flavor linger.

D- Not drinkable. It’s not too heavy, it just tastes like failure. While I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "hop head," I've had and enjoyed hoppier beers than this. This is my review after trying two of these. I realize my review differs greatly from others. Hoping I just got bad six pack.

1.9/5  rDev -53.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

2.15/5  rDev -47.4%

I was initially excited buying this beer due to all the enjoyment reviewed by fellow members, however, after I poured the ipa into my tulip and took a wiff and taste i was hihgly disapointed. It smelled similar to a german lager and tasted similar as well, except hoppier and fruitier. I can't explain why--- being the "drink by" date was 04/10. Maybe I just had one of those rare good beers that turned out bad who knows...wouldn't recommend from this tasting, yuck.

2.19/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.2/5  rDev -46.2%