Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"
4.1/5
Exceptional
Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: American IPA

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-12-2004

Ratings: 5,316 |  Reviews: 1,845

2.5/5  rDev -39%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Indistinct butter and piney hops. Better than average old school east coast, but doesn't hold up well today.

2.52/5  rDev -38.5%

Best by 5/26/13. Drank 2/24... a good 3 months yet till this beer is over the hill.

I think that's the problem. It's either already over the hill, or never had a floral hop presence in the first place. Yet, it's dry hopped. And many reviews suggest piney, citrus aromas. So it must be over the hill as all I can smell are sweet malts. Zero floral hops.

Bittering hops remain. Not resinous/oily at this point, only bitter. And a huge malt profile before, during, and after.

I don't get the hype on this one. I'm guessing I need to find a fresh bottle... problem is the six pack was labeled with "best by", and that date was way off. When was this bottled, anyway? I assumed having 3 months left till d-day meant this was pretty fresh, but I guess Smuttynose bottles six? twelve? months ahead of best by dates?

Peak IPA freshness is subjective, but come on brewers: take the guess work out of it and give us bottled on dates on the bottle!!!!

What a let down.

2.53/5  rDev -38.3%

I am not sure how this is rated 100. It has a very unbalanced bitterness. It's possible ai got a bad batch? It did improve slightly once poured into a glass versus directly from the bottle. As a lover of big IPA's this one was mildly disappointing.

2.54/5  rDev -38%

Bitter and grassy, that is the short review. Well it pours a nice yellowish body with a white head and some lacing. Smells of heavy bitter hops and a grassy lemon with some malt in the back end. Taste is really just bitter hops with some grassy tanic tang. Not enjoyable in the sense I would want to session this beer. No thanks and never again.

2.6/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle. Wegmans.

2.6/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy dark gold color with a white one finger head with nice retention. There are a lot of yeast particles floating in the beer, not very appealing.

The aroma has grapefruit peeling, pine, and grassy hops. The taste is just like the aroma, with grapefruit peeling, pine and grassy hops. There is a good amount of hop bitterness. Not very balanced. Not my favorite IPA.

Medium bodied, decent carbonation, and it finishes dry. Meh, not a big fan of this one.

2.61/5  rDev -36.3%

Pours a very hazy peach color, fluffy sudsy head that retains well. Bitter tangerine aroma with some herbal tomato-vine hop notes. This is herbacious, whoa! Thin and citric sweet, carbonation is gentle. Lacks a real wallop of hop bitterness and has an herbal, soapy thing goin on in its place. Not a lot of malt to balance either. I'm a little let down by this one, as it lacks the balance and flavor that I've come to expect from this brewery.

2.62/5  rDev -36.1%

Bottle says enjoy before July 2011. Drank on 3/25/11.

The ratings on this one just don't seem deserved. I suppose it qualifies as an IPA on ABV alone, because the bottle I cracked open had almost no hop aroma, and even less hop flavor. Bitterness was barely perceptible. There wasn't any skunk aroma so I know the 'hops' weren't degraded by light. Drank this with a buddy who concurred on my tasting thoughts.

Very disappointed. I'm still scratching my head to see why this was rated so high. I've gotten more hop flavor and aroma out of SNPA (not to put SNPA down by any stretch).

2.62/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I found this to be a disappointment.
The appearance was poor, with too much stuff floating around.
Smelled like a typical IPA, very hoppy and resiny.
But the taste was somewhat soapy. The malt seems absent, and the hops have a taste of grapefuit and pine, but also kinda soapy.
Poor mouthfeel and drinkability.

2.63/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I waited several weeks between tastings to verify my feelings because I know how highly rated this beer is, so this review is coming from two separate six packs and days.

A: Poured straw yellow with a bit of fizzy head which hung around a while.

S: If this were a blind smell, I would say this is a lager. The smell is almost void of hop character. It is a strong yeast and stale beer smell, almost sour sweetness with minimal piney dankness in the mix.

T: Some hop character appears here mostly in the form of wet grass. I get the flavor of lemon soapy water. There is some biscuit mixed in but the result is tough to drink.

M: Nothing abnormal here, medium and fizzy.

O: I wouldnt recommend this beer nor would I drink another. I dont find it to be an IPA because there is no hop profile or character. Perhaps its abstract APA trying to be extra earthy? It seems to lack a direction and the hops are missing, hallow or not in the correct proportion.

2.67/5  rDev -34.9%

A: Pours a light straw-yellow color. Head is foamy with some decent lacing.

S: The aroma threw me for a loop. Smelled a lot like a yeasty, cheap American lager. Some sourness in there, not "vinegar" like it was infected, just sour. Double checked with a guy that's had it before, he stated that's the norm for this beer.

T: Spicey grass hops is all I can get. Burns the back of the throat, pure bitterness. No malt backbone to speak of.

M: A bit thin for the style, but acceptable.

O: Wow, I'd heard a lot of good things about this beer on BA. I can't say I agree, I choked down half a bottle and that's all I could stomach.

2.68/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured into a pint glass. The appearance is a hazy dark golden color with about a finger and a half of head. It has some nice lacing. There is a strong grapefruit and pine aroma. On first sip you get hit with a strong citrus hop attack. For some reason I am not a big fan. From the aroma to the taste, there is just something that doesn't sit well with me. It leaves an unpleasant bitter aftertaste. I tried this several months back and wasn't impressed and decided to give it another try and the results are the same. I love IPAs and hops galore. My only guess is that the bitter citrus flavor is what threw this beer off for me.

2.69/5  rDev -34.4%

Possibly got a bad batch, just wasnt good.

2.7/5  rDev -34.1%

Look: Three finger white head, hazy light orange, great retention, very nice lacing.

Smell: Big citrus, floral, light malt, bit of pine, bit of dough, peach, grapefruit.

Taste: Citrus, floral, pine, light malt backbone, the hops are very bitey, very light yeast.

Final Thoughts:Not for me. I can see how some hopheads like this one, but it's not even a good simplistic to me. It's like I'm drinking watered down hop juice, the hop bitter really ruins the IPA. Had it been something that I would have expected such from, I would have enjoyed it more. I enjoyed the many other common offerings of Smuttynose, and this one is my least favorite. I like IPA's, but this one is little malt backbone, not very flavorful, and just hop bite. Tried it July 13th and the freshness is marked for Nov '11. Just not for me I suppose.

2.71/5  rDev -33.9%

This beer came right off the tap from the Moan and Dove in Massachusetts. I have heard good things about it so I had high expectations. I have to say I was very disappointed by this brew. It was a golden/orange color with a slight white head. It had a very earthy/bitter aroma and an overly hoppy/bitter taste. No malt character, It was like grass in a blender if that makes sense. The aftertaste was much the same, and left more to be desired. Its light body and carbonation allow it to go down very easy but this taste was too off for my palate, I would stay away from this one.

2.73/5  rDev -33.4%

12oz bottle with a best by date of November 2011, served in a Bruery Tulip, but this is my 4th time having this beer over a couple weeks.

Pours a medium yellow/orange color with about a ¾ inch head that slowly dissipates leaving a 1/8 inch fine lace sheet and a ring of froth remains throughout the drink. It’s very,very hazy and be very careful pouring this one as there is a ton of sediment and yeast in the bottle.

Mild grapefruit, I guess, and somewhat sweet nose and almost a pilsner-like biscuit and yeast flavor. Very disappointing. Taste is more of the same. Some grapefruit noticeable centennial hops and a ton of bitterness leaving few discernable flavors. Very light body with about medium carbonation and tons of bitterness in the mouthfeel. Somewhat drinkable.

For all the praise this beer gets I was very excited to try it, and it was one of the only 6-packs I purchased, but I was very disappointed. Thought it may be a Northeastern bias but the reviews are pretty consistent, maybe there’s something wrong with me but I thought this was an average IPA at best.

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Based upon the description and review, what I got from the can wasn't their finest offering. It was sharp, bitter, and without citrus; it had the pine and hop though. I'll have to revisit again.

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" from Smuttynose Brewing Company