Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"
4.1/5
Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: American IPA

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-12-2004

Ratings: 5,309 |  Reviews: 1,843

2.95/5  rDev -28%

Slightly hazy pale golden orange with a 1/4 finger of dense white foamy head. Nice lacing.

Nose is pretty non existent. Just a hint of lemon. Nothing spectacular.

Taste is pretty hopforward, with dry, straw flavors. Little bit of lemon and orange in the mix, but finish is lots of super dry hops. Mouth puckeringly bitter from the hops.

Feel is a little too thick for all that hoppiness.

I am skeptical that this beer may have been infected, as the tastes are so far from what I expected. Though as time passes drinking it, it does balance a little more. I think it's just not for me. Too much dry hop. Not enough fruit and juice, nor stickiness.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Poured from a 12 ounce bottle approximately six weeks old. The beer is a light orange straw color with a slight haziness. The beer poured perfectly into a standard pint glass, with the head just barely coming over the rim of the glass. The head retention is incredible, and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S - Not overwhelmed by the smell. I couldn't pick out anything in particular.

T - Edited after several 12 packs. By now I've gotten the appeal of this one. I'm picking up a lot more of the grapefruit peel that I had previously been missing. It's a one-dimensional flavor, and still quite bitter, but the bitterness doesn't overwhelm me as it once did.

M - Matches the appearance. This portion of the beer is solid, especially after growing more accustomed to it after a year or so.

O - Edited: From disappointment to a staple in my IPA rotation. This beer has been growing on me throughout the year as the more tropical IPAs have been losing their appeal. This is quickly becoming a great beer to savor upon my return from work. I really look forward to it, and at the price-point the value is fantastic.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

I know it is one of the finer IPA's...I am not a 'hoppy' guy but I can drink this if served to me...impressive for an IPA....Smuttynose rarely disappoints me. It was refreshing and had a citrus after-taste. Probably more bitter than I like but that is the nature of IPA's. I will probably buy it again.

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" from Smuttynose Brewing Company