Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"
4.1/5
Exceptional
Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: American IPA

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-12-2004

Ratings: 5,316 |  Reviews: 1,845

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

I know it is one of the finer IPA's...I am not a 'hoppy' guy but I can drink this if served to me...impressive for an IPA....Smuttynose rarely disappoints me. It was refreshing and had a citrus after-taste. Probably more bitter than I like but that is the nature of IPA's. I will probably buy it again.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a solid bright orange. Can't see through this at all. Vibrant and inviting.

Smells of grapefruit and some spicy hops. Definite orange/lemon zest.

Taste really is grapefruit and some zest. There's a peppery note that leads into a slight caramelized brown sugar sweetness.

Mouthfeel is mildly carbonated and slightly viscous. Perfect combination for a great lawn mower sipper.

Overall, this is a great ipa that's stands out from the crowd. The color, smell, mouthfeel blend excellently.

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Wow very cloudy yellow with chunky precipitates floating around all over. Definitely different than what I am used to.

S: Good citrus, grapefruit, and also grain smell.

T: Very dry IPA. I taste the usual cirtusy hops, but man this reminds me alot of a grassy alfalfa flavor as well. Its honestly not very refreshing like a West coast IPA.

M: Medium to full body

O: Full disclosure I had a couple of these after moving furniture for several hours so I was quite thirsty. It was not what I wanted at the time (not thirst quenching). Nonetheless, this is a different IPA and not quite like any other I have had before. I suppose this is an East coast IPA, which is not a bad thing.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%