Smuttlabs Durtay

Smuttlabs DurtaySmuttlabs Durtay
Notes:
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 10
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark, with a small off white head. A big, sweet aroma of caramel and brownie batter with hints of chocolate. Much the same in the flavor with the lingering remnants of hoppyness that has faded with time. Very nice, I was a little worried this might be past its prime, but it seems to have aged gracefully.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from the gift shop, labeled May 2015, poured in a Duvel snifter

Look: Fairly dark for a brown ale, head disappears quickly.
Smell: vanilla with a lot of alcohol evident
Taste: More going on here. Lots of vanilla and heat from the alcohol. I can't detect the hops, but see below
Feel: Pretty pleasant. The alcohol doesn't burn as much as I thought, and the taste changes on my tongue for a couple seconds after I swallow.
Overall: Honestly I'd had this in my fridge for a couple months and had forgotten how much alcohol it was when I opened it. My first couple sips I thought it was going to be a long night because the alcohol was overpowering everything else. As I got used to it it really grew on me. I don't know if I'd buy it again but I'm glad I tried it.

4.11/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle from the gift shop.
Finally wrangled the cork out to pour a mostly clear dark brown liquid with faint garnet at the edges and a thin tan head that dissipates rather quickly. Huge molasses, rum, vanilla notes on the nose with bits of caramel and brown sugar and just a touch of earth and ethanol. The flavor is sugary sweet with rich brown sugar caramel and molasses with hints of vanilla and a light fruitiness. Low to moderate warming alcohol, faint carbonation and a sweet sticky full mouthfeel. Really well made beer right here. Its a sipper for sure, but I really enjoyed this for an hour or so in front of the AC tonight.

3.76/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Very dark brown with a tan head that disappears very quickly. Smell is very rum heavy almost no scent of beer. Taste is similar although not as hot as expected from the smell. Rum upfront with a nice brown ale undertone. Very alcohol heavy on the back end. Medium bodied feel and kind of slick. Not a bad beer, but certainly not something I would seek out.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had tried a small glass of this at Hayseed on Saturday (20JUN15). Returned to Hayseed yesterday (21JUN15) for Fathers Day with Alewife and the Scheister for lunch, so I went for more of this one...

Served in a large snifter, filled to the top, 16oz or so.... Color was a deep, dense, dark brown, with a bit of chestnut. Was quite opaque, so no carbo espied. Had scant head and lacing, likely a by-product of the high ABV... Nose had a good level of sweetness, with brown sugar and rum notes. Body was fairly medium, with a smidge of prickly roughness on the tongue.

Flavor had a solid amount of sweetness as well and, again, was quite rummy and boozy. It was like a liquid slab of rum-soaked brown bread, with some brown sugar sprinkled on top. Had a hint of floral hopping at the finish, though it was mostly a rummy, malty sweet, warming concoction. Listed as a strong ale, it could also fall into the old ale category... Macht nichts! Prosit!!

4.2/5 rDev 0.0%