Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Old Brown Dog has been cited as a classic example of the “American Brown Ale” style of beer. Compared to a typical English Brown Ale, Old Brown Dog is fuller-bodied and more strongly hopped.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-1998

Ratings: 2,700 |  Reviews: 974
1.16/5  rDev -70.5%

1.36/5  rDev -65.4%

My 1st try from Smuttynose and I haven't been back to anything by the company. From notes; Bottle poured into pint glass very little smell wise save for a mild soury malt smell. No ABV printed on bottle that poured a rich caramel color w/no head but lil bubbles. Hoppy, malty and a lil typical but NOT smooth goin' down...kinda had to choke her down, before I split the rest w/the sink drain. I'll have to try a different style from this brewery but this was a turn off that will keep other breweries ahead of the Smut on my "to try/get" list

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A muddy brown hazy color with almost no head. A little aroma of weak malt, the taste is a little wort like. It has some basic sweet mealtimes with a watery mouthfeel and practically no finish.

2.56/5  rDev -34.9%

For a smuttynose, this one is not up to par. The smell is musty, a little tinny, it did remind me a little of a wet dog ... not too good. The color is dark, rich, amber, clear, with not much head. Okay on the carbonation front. The taste ... hmmm. Decent mix between hops and malts, on the dry side, a medium balance and texture. The taste has some fruity complexity, there are difficult to discern flavors in this beer, maybe a little on the coffee/chocolate side of the taste spectrum, but I remain unimpressed. It's okay, but not worth returning to and a bit of a disappointment coming from Smuttynose, which has made some excellent beers in the past.

2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

2.65/5  rDev -32.6%

A: Brown with great clarity. The White head fluffs up nicely but dissipates quickly to almost nothing.

S: Roasty, toffee and carmel. Not much grain or hop aroma, plenty of roast and malt.

T: Maltiness and roast flavors come to the front, not much hop flavor, restrained in the finish. Bitter dark chocolate flavor lingers on the palate that turns almost sour.

M: Not very much carbonation, and a bit too watery for a brown. Not enough body to the beer.

D: I could drink several of these, though I am not sure I would like to, as I think you could find a better brown to substitute.

2.7/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pretty good, lighter than expected. Would like to find something I the middle between this and DFH's Indian brown ale

2.71/5  rDev -31%

Smutty Nose Old Brown Dog ale, I love saying Smutty Nose! The sound of it Smutty Nose... Smutty Nose... Smutty Nose.

Anyway, Old Brown Dog Ale is a favorite of my friend- Otter! It is a popular beer at Isaac Newtons- Newtown, Pennsylvania. I've wanted this beer for a year now, so now it's time.

Old Brown Dog Ale pours a beautiful hickory reddish brown. A simple but nice tan head, not to thick but thick enough.

The smell is of chocolate and some spices. Not too crazy over the smell.
The taste is of a stale chocolate and spice, very sweet and not that good!

I bought a 6-pack of Old Brown Dog Ale and I'll drink them all, but the taste isn't very pleasant so it'll take me a week or 2 to finish. Man, what a bummer I wanted to like this beer and I'm really trying but the stale chocolate taste isn't enjoyable. Hopefully WeizenHeimer is better.

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The best thing about it was the smell. Thought the taste was thin and average. Wouldn't buy it but would drink it for free.

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

A slightly murky reddish brown with a very thin head that quickly dissipated with no lacing

S bready yeasty aroma

T just a whisper of hops and malty biscuit on the tongue

M for me this was minimal carbonation not a lot of body showing here

D very average, I was expecting much more from this one, I think that I'll be saving it to "share" with the in-laws :)

2.75/5  rDev -30%