Smuttynose S'muttonator (Heritage Series) | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose S'muttonator (Heritage Series)Smuttynose S'muttonator (Heritage Series)
Liked This Beer
4.03 w/ 638 ratings

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Doppelbock

Formerly Smuttynose S'muttonator (Big Beer Series)

S’Muttonator Double Bock displays the characteristically full malt flavor that can only come from using the best German specialty malts, and a traditional decoction mashing technique. The extra effort also adds a lot of extra time to each batch, but that’s the only way to get the nuttiness, toffee notes and smooth character beer drinkers expect from a double bock.

2007 - 9.8%

4.03/5
Alströms:

1.04/5  rDev -74.2%

2.5/5  rDev -38%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy brown color with a big off white head.

Nose is big and boozed with a big raisin stench as well. Smells like grape jam and alcohol. Not the most pleasant thing in the world.

Fortunately the flavor is a bit more mild. Big body with a cinnamon raisin bread flavor. Hints of caramel, brown sugar, and honey are present as well. The sweetness is cut with a subtle herbal hop presence however a warming alcohol presence is found on the finish as well as a lightly lingering sugared fruit sweetness. Not bad but nothing impressive either.

A simple and slightly different doppelbock.

Im just glad it doesn't taste like other smuttys I've had before.

2.64/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I am not rating as good as others. This beer just has no personality. Perhaps I don't have a favorable batch.

2.74/5  rDev -32%

Appearance: The lager is a deep auburn color with no visible sediment. It poured with a vigorous head that quickly settled down. There was no lace remainder.

Smell: A mild malt note emerges from the lager. I stress mild because the nose does not imply a doppelbock. I expected an overwhelming malt nose that was sweet and grainy. Instead, the aroma was very muted and relaxed.

Taste: A little stronger than a Vienna lager, the taste does not live up to expectations. In the taste, I pick up a smoked malt character that conjures up a rauch-lager hydrid. The taste does not impress me.

Mouthfeel: The lager sits nicely on the palate, although the taste is a little muted.

Drinkable: Moderately drinkable. For someone looking for the malt charge of a doppelbock, this beer will disappoint.

2.74/5  rDev -32%

Bottle marked 2014. I'll start by saying this beer seems young for a doppelbock. I am scoring based on my 'off the shelf' experience. Merely a warning.
The malt is there but the young astringent, bitter flavor begs attention. The alcohol is quite overwhelming as well. I believe this beer will do much better with some age. A true Doppelbock should be all malt forward, almost chewy, with a warming flush affect from the alcohol. You shouldn't taste it on the front end.
Do the dilligence where the brewery may have left off and lay this down for 8-10 months. Could be intentional to lengthen its shelf life? Again, not brewery bashing. rating based off of experience. I will purchase a second bottle and throw some age its way. it would be worth the wait.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

2.85/5  rDev -29.3%

Bomber into an oversized wine glass. 2005 version.

Appearance: A dark amber color with brown hues. Some bubbles, but not many, gurgle toward the top of the glass. Hardly any lacing and almost no head to speak of.

Smell: This is a doppelbock? I get a lot of sweet malt and tons of hops, and really nothing more. There's not really much balance, and it almost, oddly enough, smells like a barley wine. Bland stuff.

Taste: Damn, this tastes like a barley wine too. What the hell is going on? There's a harsh balance between the sweet malt and hops, as if they're both trying to come through more, but instead of harmony there's heads colliding and too much dissonance. Finishes extremely hoppy, once again like a green barley wine. Did Smuttynose really make this?

Mouthfeel: Overly cloying and coating, and almost syrupy. I feel like the brew's sticking voraciously to my gums and the sugars are eating away at them.

Drinkability: Wow, maybe my biggest shock of 2006 so far. I love Smuttynose and all their brews, especially the wheat wine and the Big A IPA, but man... this is just bad. I don't think this is a bad bottle, and I was pretty neutral when I opened it. I'm utterly shocked and disappointed. Still, though, I'm thinking this is just a slight chink in the chain, and it's not deterring me from purchasing more of their brews for sure.

This is a big american brew. Certainly inspired by the doppelbock style (or perhaps samiclaus?), but not very malty. It's difficult to rate this one. It's REALLY well-crafted, but it's just not a doppel.

A: Medium-brownish orange, off-white head, some retention.

S: More fruityness than the average doppel (given its strength, perhaps the fermentation got a little too vigorous); brown sugar; slightly peppery.

T: Bread, brown sugar, grassy/slightly peppery hop spice, dark (slightly burnt) caramel. Bitterness is well-balanced. Alcohol is INCREDIBLY well-hidden, but it seems like it could use some lagering to smooth out the flavours.

M: Moderate body is really well-attenuated (surprisingly thin for its weight, it lacks the malty backbone of most doppels).

D: Perhaps a little potent for Lent. Not a session lager.

Thanks for the sample biegaman!

Sorry for the average scores, but I gotta review 'em as I drink 'em. Had on tap at the Barley Pub in Dover NH. My over-all impression of this one was of sugar. Medium dark amber when served, low head. Burnt sugar aroma. Tastewise was more of the same, there were notes of spun sugar to start, and the finish was more of a maple sugar flavor.

3.03/5  rDev -24.8%

22oz bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Great looking dark, transparent, ruby-red brown. good 3/4'' inch head which lasted substantially. Ok lacing.

Smell = Lots of spice and fruit with a high bit of alcohol coming through. I smell cherries and plums mostly. A bit too pungent but still good.

Taste = I think this beer would be so much better if it had less of an ABV %. The flavors are initially very good with a sweet, malty fruity mix but then the alcohol comes and it just overpowers everything else. I do enjoy high ABV beers but they have to be done really well and the brewers need to make sure the alcohol doesn't dominate everything else. This beer fails at that and brings the taste and drinkability scores way down.

Overall = I like a lot of things about this beer but I can't recommend it. I just don't think they do a good enough job of mixing the alcohol in with the rest of the flavors.

3.04/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours out a hazy brown with a barely-there head. Smells of brown sugar, figs, lots of toasty malts, some booze. Flavor does not remind me of a classic, chewy doppelbock. It reminds me more of an imperial dark amber lager or something. Loads of toasty malts overwhelm the more caramelly/dried fruity malt aspects. Alcohol isn't overly present. Mouthfeel is rather flat and slick. Not impressed with this, at all.

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

22oz bomber (notched 'bottled conditioned in 2008') recently recieved in trade from ATPete, thx! Served at 55F in my Delirium snifter, S'muttonator is dark hazy garnet with a tight bubbled tan head that leaves pretty heavy lace.

Smell is sweet, grape soda, perhaps a bit of roast, it opens some as it warms, but there is a bit of rancid grain or something that asserts itself more in the taste.

Taste is very rich and sweet, raisin and medjool dates, a tinny bite, grassy hop bitterness on the lingering, malty finish. Something about this isn't working for me at all, there is a sourness that stands out, but it's tough to pinpoint any one off flavor, just the sum of the parts is failing for me. Below average.

Mouthfeel is thick and malty, with lots of creamy carbonation.

Drinkabilty isn't to high for me, I'm just not feeling this beer. The strong flavors hide the ABV, but that's really no solstice.

3.11/5  rDev -22.8%

appearance- the beer pours a tan head two fingers deep and is a deep mahogany color.

aroma- i can smell the munich first, with crystal malt/ toffee tones under it, and a sharp phonol kick.

taste- the palate is light and dry. there is some richness to the malt and the sweet spots there, but alcohol overwhelms and the hop bitterness lays a bit heavy for this style.

mouthfeel- there is little of the lush creaminess that i look for in this style, and every sip ends wiith a wash of heat.

drinkability- overall, it's too strong and bitter, with little of the classic malt profile to back it up. definitely an american interpretation of the style... still the strength is endearing as i empty my glass.

3.12/5  rDev -22.6%

12 oz. bottle drank as part of a BJCP tasting group (Category 5: Bock) on 01/14/2015, poured into a snifter glass and drank over 15-30 minutes

3.16/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

650 ml bottle poured into a Heavy Seas tulip (2014 bottle, 9.8%)

A: Burnt Sienna body color with a mild head on the pour but leaves some lacing and a bit of a collar.
S: Interesting scents here. Lots of spices with a sweet malt base. Just a tiny bit of yeast in there.
T: Weird flavor here that is yeast, bread and some sweet malt. Weird spices that dominate the flavor profile. Sweet malt base undertone. Yeast and bread with some spice is the aftertaste.
M: Nearly no carbonation. Maybe I should have waited for it to bottle condition a bit more, but I don't think I should have had to wait.
O: Just weird flavors here, that make for an uncharacteristic doppelbock. Not like the doppelbocks that I'm used to.

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Smuttynose's S'Muttonator, double bock beer. 9.8% ABV.

A: Just a bit of head. Soda-like carbonation. Nice, deep plum color. Cream soda-yellow in the dimple, with a neat pile of bubbles along the bottom.

S: Fairly earthy for a doppelbock. Citrus hop backing; not the star, but present. Also odd for a doppelbock. Tree sap. Alcohol seems a touch apparent. Dust and dirt.

T/MF: As with the smell, nothing like any other doppelbocks I've had previously. Hoppiness is slightly forward, but malt is right behind it. More tree sap, tree bark, citrus, earthiness. A sickly sweet backing. I was expecting a fairly carbonated beer from the look of it, but it's fairly calm. More bubbly than other doppelbocks, but just barely.

I'm not happy with this one. I've always heard of Smuttynose as one of the better east coast brewers, but this doesn't have me enthusiastic to try their other beers.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

3.22/5  rDev -20.1%

22oz bottle poured into a large snifter, split during a tasting. Generously provided by 603BeerMe. Thanks!

A - Pours a dark copper, hazy body with a finger's worth of head. Decent retention with small, scattered lacing.

S - Smell is very sweet, heavy on caramel, toffee, with some darker fruits in the background.

T - Taste, much like the nose, is malt-heavy and very sweet. Lots of caramel, figs, currants, and perhaps a hint of bitter chocolate. Finish is long and surprisingly bitter.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy bodied with low carbonation. Relatively smooth and creamy, but as mentioned in the taste, it ends bitterly.

D - Drinkability for me is pretty low. A bit too sweet up front and too bitter in the back for my liking. Becomes a bit hard to drink about halfway through.

3.22/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

The bottled version poured out into my .5 liter mug with a huge creamy caramel colored head. Hot alcohol aromas dominate the nose. Creamy mouthfeel is quite appropriate and there is a nice raisin, dark chocolate, and plum flavor, but the hot alcohol aromas and flavors seem to overide everything else. Now I can see why they delayed to release of this beer, hoping the hotness subsides. Its something I am noticing in many of their big beer series lately, maybe they are too big? I will buy a few bottles and let them sit for a few months. Hopefully it mellows by the time the traditional dopplebock season rolls around.

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

a: This was a hazy mahogany/ruby color. It poured with a big, sticky, light tan froth.

s: Warm dark fruits and some floral hops. There was a little chocolate hiding behind the excessive heat.

t: This is fairly hot, almost to the point of being harsh. The strongest flavors are of dry, perfumed, bitter heat. The sweet maltiness is there, tasting of raisins and chocolate, but it doesn't take center stage as it probably should.

m: Mouthfeel and carbonation are fine, but I didn't like the lingering bitter heat.

d: I don't think I'm a style nazi, but in my limited experience I haven't had a dopplebock like this one. One and done for me.

Smuttynose S'muttonator (Heritage Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company