Single Digit Dubbel Belgian-Style Dubbel Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Single Digit Dubbel Belgian-Style Dubbel AleSingle Digit Dubbel Belgian-Style Dubbel Ale
Liked This Beer
3.67 w/ 1,059 ratings

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Dubbel

Formerly Smuttynose Winter Ale

Smuttynose Winter Ale is a full-bodied, amber beer brewed with a special Trappist ale yeast. Stylistically reminiscent of a Belgian Abbey Double, it features fruity aromas and flavor, balanced by soft Crystal hops. Warming, mellow & pleasantly complex, Smuttynose Winter Ale is your perfect cold weather companion.

Added by Bierman9 on 10-30-2005

Liked:
3.67/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,059 |  Reviews: 504
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a cloudy dark amber with a finger width of medium tan head that retains into a smooth, creamy looking layer that left moderate lacing. The aroma is thick with heavy malt, sweetness, spices, and just a touch of alcohol.

The taste is rich malts and sweetness, spices, and a dark fruit element that allows things to end with a combo of tartness and hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied wiht a thick, creamy feel.

This wasn't bad. I liked the full, rich tastes of the malt and spices that leant themselves well to Winter imbibing and that nearly 7% ABV was very well hidden and kept things fairly drinkable. A solid effort from Smutty!

3.67/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Pumking chalice. It poured a murky, dark brown color with a thin head barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma has a decent malty profile to it with some caramel, toffee and bread notes to it. It has a little fruitiness to the malts as well. A bit of the yeast spice is present, but it's not overly spicy at all. Decent aroma overall.

The taste starts out with some of the yeast spice coming through. Midway it starts to show more of the bready, malty, caramel, toffee flavors to it. In the finish some more of the yeast spice comes back along with a very moderate bitterness. I get some chocolate coming through in the finish and lingering for a bit after.

The mouthfeel is a little heavy, but good for the style. Carbonation is moderate. Drinkability is decent, the yeast spice and the malty sweetness worked pretty well as a Christmas seasonal. It wasn't the best Dubbel, but it was a pretty good holiday seasonal in relation to all the other spice bombs. Pretty enjoyable beer overall.

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.78/5  rDev +3%

Nice off white head with some staying power, little lace. The color is reddish orange dark amber. Clear.

Pearlike sweetness in the aroma...can also detect higher levels of alcohol.

I like the prickly tartness behind the sweetness I expected. It makes this beer a little more complex, just like the slight hop in the background. Good full body.

While Dubbels are not my favorite style, I do like this one because it stays interesting for me. I wouldn't drink it all night but I would certainly enjoy as a change of pace from my typically hoppy ales.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Best Before: July 2010.

Appearance: Pours out a fairly clear, dark brown-amber body with a ½-inch cap of off-white foam, but this settles out pretty quickly.

Smell: Aroma of generously toasted bread crusts, cocoa powder stirred up with cloves, crushed nuts, and dark caramel, with a thin undercurrent of fruitiness.

Taste: Sweetish tastes that first send me thinking 'brown ale': toast, dry caramel, mild cocoa, and unsalted nuts. Hint of dried fruits. Slight, spicy phenolic accents. Light complimentary bitterness imparted by the Crystal hops. For me, the Trappist ale yeast was most felt on the smooth finish, where the spiciness was allowed to linger a bit.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Though the Trappist ale yeast character never really jumped out at me, I still found it to be a pleasant blending of styles, making for a pretty tasty beer. I've had a couple doses of SWA (people quickly recognize the beer acronyms BCS and KBS, so let's get SWA started) now, but I may head out to get another helping before the impending close of the winter season.

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Pristine crimson- and orange-infused bronze; a great color for a winter beer. The pale tawny crown contrasts nicely with the liquid on which it rests and demonstrates a fair amount of character as it slowly fades away. Unfortunately, lace is limited to a short, tattered collar.

The nose reminds me of an especially malty, especially fruity English ale more than a true dubbel. Apparently, SBC has brewed this beer with an authentic Trappist ale yeast strain, although I'm finding it hard to appreciate it on smell alone. I don't detect any added spices either. It's a bit short on complexity and distinctiveness, but still isn't bad for a winterish brew.

Whereas the nose had me wondering what on earth the brewers were thinking when they dubbed this beer a dubbel, it tastes quite a bit like one. And a tasty one at that. It's much more malty than hoppy, and has that cocoa-like, roasted walnutty, tobacco leaf, 'brown' malt flavor that is characteristic of the style. It's also fruity, in the manner of severely bruised apples and leathery dried cherries.

Winter Ale isn't nearly as yeasty-spicy as the best Belgians, but at least I can appreciate those tendencies on the palate. There's a pinch of clove and possibly cinnamon as well. Added spices probably wouldn't have been a good idea since they would have masked what yeastiness manages to come through unscathed.

The finish is long, not lingering, and shows off the modest bitterness and flavor of the Crystal hops. Although the mouthfeel isn't much bigger than medium, it's a good sort of medium, an easy drinking sort of medium. The carbonation is subdued enough to keep things smooth and borderline creamy. This is one of those beers that's gone before you know it.

Winter Ale is a bit of a pastiche (an amber ale that uses Trappist ale yeast and American hops, then calls itself a dubbel), but it works somehow. I'll just chalk it up to the brewing talent at Smuttynose and be done with it. The only thing that really matters is whether or not the beer is delicious. It passes that test with flying colors.

4.26/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

II recently began working at Molly's Carryout & I was tasked with rearranging the Mix & Match sections of one of the coolers when I came across some bottles that I knew that I had never reviewed. This was one of them, so I brought it home & set it aside until now.

From the bottle: "Make mine a Smutty!"; "Crafting fine beers in NH since 1994"; "Come visit our brewery and Hayseed restaurant at Towle Farm in Hampton, NH. And visit us online at smuttynose.com for events, releases and great Smerchandise in our e-store. As always, thanks for saying: Make mine a Smutty!"

A Pop! of the cap, a quick aggro pour & I was ready to go! My actions garnered me two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, light-tan head with reasonable retention that left nice lacing behind as it fell. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity & mahogany highlights. Nose was rich, sweet, & very malty with a marshmallow-like scent that seemed to jump out at me, along with dried, dark fruits like raisins, prunes & cherries. Mmm. Mouthfeel was big and fluffy on my tongue & while I may have colored my perception by mentioning marshmallow, it did come to mind. The taste was more of bready malt & fruits than marshmallow, however. I got a lot of cherry/cerise/kirsch flavor coming through & it made me think of a yellow cake with cherries. It was definitely dessert-like in terms of its taste(s), which was kind of a nice change of pace for me as a hophead. I am going to characterize the finish as sweet, although an argument could be made for semi-sweet, especially given the ABV & the yeast's activity to get it there.

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

The pour was really well done here with a nice amber color with a light hint of caramel around the edges, big head comes up and over the top and settles down gently into a firm and long lasting pillow with loads of side glass lacing. Aroma is nice, much sweeter then I was expecting. Lots of caramel and malts right up front here, light hint of an herbal note boucning around as well, but not terribly strong. Warming brings out a yeast note that is quite intresting and adds a light fruit touch to it, but very sweet still. Flavor again is very intresting and not what I was expecting. Rich notes of caramel and almost candied like sugar abound here. Light touches of hops play on the tongue now as well, very intresting. Comes across almost like an amber ale to me, has that bready maltiness and caramel flavor I associate with it. A bit thin on the feel but the carbonation really saves it and gives it that little bit of pop to pull you in. Soo nicely done that it goes down like candy and really just a smooth and really nice drinking beer.

Overall this one kinda confusues me. A bit light for a dubbel I have to admit but it was still a really well done beer. Needs a little bit more to make it excellent but this is really nice none the less.

3.78/5  rDev +3%

I had this at Al's of Hampden in Enola, PA. Served on tap in a pint

A - chestnut brown color w/ good clarity, two fingers of tan cream crest the ale and it has a tiny bead

S - A sweet, nutty and spicy nose w/ slightly yeasty aroma. The odor of subtle toast and honey w/ mild dried fruit scent

M - a lighter medium bodied feel, slightly strong effervescent front w/ a mildly roasted texture in the middle ad gentle alcohol influence w/ a mild sweetness and subtle spice in the finish

T - A crisp roasted and earthy taste w/ subtle fruit notes and spice is mild w/ creamy flavors that meld well. The mild yeasty fruitiness comes in late in the taste w/ a subtle toasted malt which is almost almond-like w/ a mild bready yeast tinge in the flavor. There is a subtle pine hop taste which seems like an afterthought

D - the drinkability is pretty good w/ flavor that is clean and pretty easy to quaff- the flavors of the malts are in focus and satisfies well, but doesn't prompt me to order more than a couple to be honest

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

From 11/22/11 notes. Had on cask at FireWorks in Arlington, VA. Served in a pint glass.

a - Pours a mahogany brown color with one inch of tan head and light carbonation evident. Had a little bit of a reddish tint to it.

s - Smells of bananas, wheat, cloves, bready malts, light spices. Pretty decent.

t - Tastes of bananas, bready malts, wheat, roasted malts, light yeast and spices. A little bit of a step up from the nose.

m - Medium body and no carbonation, super smooth and creamy. Very easy to drink.

o - Overall a very easy to drink dubbel. Lots of bananas, bread/wheat, and cloves. Would definitely order this one again.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Randomly picked this up last week, engaged by the semi-kitsch label. It pours a clear ruby-garnet topped by a short finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises red grapes, dusty toffee, rye bread, figs, clove, honey, very light orange peel, a touch booze, and a few drops of coffee. The taste holds notes of rye bread, light cocoa, light mint, toffee, brown sugar, clove, black pepper, figs, and a bit of red wine. The body is a meek medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a smooth feel. Overall, a very nice brew, one I'm going to look for during it's appropriate season.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Trying the Smuttynose Winter ale. The beer pours a clear copper color with a medium sized head that laced alll the way down my glass.
The scent of this beer was very sweet malt that included characteristics of belgian ale yeast. The taste was pretty mild and had great malt character. The mouthfeel was a good medium body with decent carbonation. I highly recommend this winter sensation.

3.91/5  rDev +6.5%

I've passed this over for years thinking it was a spiced winter ale, well today I fixed that and bought a bottle. Pours a deep clear shade of orange garnet with a bubbly beige head that displays remarkable retention but spotty lace. Smells of spice, pepper, and caramel with hints of dark dried fruits. Sweet sugary flavor is highlighted by caramel and sweet reduced fruit syrup. Hints of spice, and Belgian esters, but not to much for my palette. Medium body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a sweet creamy mouthfeel. Decent brew, surely not the best dubbel in the world, but very respectable. Time to check out some more brews I've been avoiding.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

WTF, is a 4.5% beer now a dubbel, somebody change that rediculous label on this brew. Best by June 2010 yeah fuckin' right, I had this during Christmas on tap at Sharp Edge in Washington County the Brasserie. Low abv beers are meant to move quick brewed in october or november this is dead by march or april I don't care what Trappist yeast you use. Pours a deep clouded amber mahogany brown hue with a light beige khaki head, nice head retention again another gusher as I cracked it open, WTF? Aroma has a creamy nut and fruit combo let's go with crushed almonds and raisins cooked in a cookie dough maybe an Italiano biscotti. Flavor has a creamy sweetness going on okay I will swallow my words it is a dubbel light slight tart apple raisin combo with a nutty yeast flavor going on it's really a nice session ale a bit of a dryness in finish more power to 'em I didn't enjoy the draft as much. Maybe a 4.5% brew was too young with the yeast in the bottle this brew is drinking nice, I bough this for 2 bucks a bottle. Mouthfeel is medium bodied dry finish on the palate carbonation is even during the drinking experience but was pretty much a volcanic explosion on the opening of the cap.

3.46/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A - dark amber with a thin lacing of offwhite head that has no retention

S - very little to report; some caramel

T - baked apples, caramel, some grains, faintly metallic finish

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This beer doesn't seem to hit it's mark. For the most part the aroma and flavor try to survive on caramel malt alone with some esters trying to help out in the flavor. Unfortunately, a few off flavors creep in that detract from what this beer could have been. I'm glad I tried it once, but in my opinion there are better winter offerings and better Dubbels on the market.

Single Digit Dubbel Belgian-Style Dubbel Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company