Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series) | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company

2014 - 7.2% brewed with Pineapple Sage

Added by Bierman9 on 02-12-2006

Reviews: 399 | Ratings: 663
4.09/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Bell's tulip pint. 2009 date notched on the label. The eggshell colored head of this one was ginormous and brittle. It eroded oddly and left big soapy dollops and sticky sheets of lacing - impressive. The body was an orangy gold color and it had a light haze.

The smell was primarily of Belgian yeast and soil. Plums and general fruitiness grew as it warmed slightly.

The taste was tart and peppery. Very scratchy and spicy. Pears and stonefruits. Green apples. Lots of flavor in this one. Pretty complex flavors here.

Mouthfeel was medium in body, but full enough. Medium to mild in carbonation. The head and the flavor are the standout characteristics of this one.

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2014. 7.2% abv. Brewed with Sage. Pours a clear gold with one finger thick fizzy white head, a few dots of lace on the glass. Thin ring sticks to the end. Smell: pils, mildly herbal and spicy, dried apricot and dried pineapple notes. Taste: spicy, biscuit, sugary dried apricot and tropical fruit; strong herbal flavor cuts through the sweetness which is otherwise more in BSPA territory. Really, the whole beer is, but it's nice nonetheless. 3.5/3.75/3.75/4/3.75

2010. 9.3% abv. Pours a mostly clear golden color with one finger white head, spotty lacing. Smell: pale malt base, a little musty, spicy and a little grassy. Taste: quite spicy with a dose of orange citrus, pretty standard otherwise, but nice enough. Mouthfeel: carbonation maybe a little more than most, but not to the detriment of the beer. Alcohol makes only positive contributions here, very drinkable for a saison of this abv. Not amazing but pretty enjoyable. Early July 2010 release. 3.5/3.5/4/4/4

Bottle poured into a tulip glass

A- Big frothy white head, cloudy golden color, head stays thick and fluffy, lots of lacing.

S- Smells very earthy, with notes of apple and a little lemon.

T- Mildy fruity, apple is present with pepper and a nice hop finish.

M- Medium body, medium to high carbonation.

D- This is my first time trying this beer style and I thought that it was great, looking forward to my next!

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

22oz bottle opened and shared with friends at Nicole's birthday party. Enjoyed on the deck on a wonderful sunny afternoon.

Hazy body, an orange-yellow color, and little head and lacing. While it's not ideal, I'll take this over the farmhouses that pour 1/2 beer and 1/2 foam.

Smell is earthy and spicy, with some mild fruitiness. The yeast is grassy with just a touch of pepper. Nice, but I've had better.

Taste is nice, refreshing. Some orange and citrus and earthiness from the hops and yeast. Malt is bready and has just enough w/o being too bold. This is good, nice blend of flavors and spice, predominantly corriander and clove and just a touch of wildness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied but the carbonation is too much. I enjoyed this American take on the style. I still prefer my Fantome anyday, but this is good stuff.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Another Saison for Saturday in Summer folks. Pours a golden / copper hugh which is very clear, bubbly and effervecent. Dense kinda soapy head with very good retention. The aroma is indeed farmhouse-esque. Hay, straw, some spices, grassy aroma and ehh dare I say a little soap comes through at the end but generally a nice aroma. Nice flavor, spicy and grassy. Not too much going on in the way of yeast produced tasty-ness here which is too bad. Mouthfeel is kinda what I expected, not bad not great. The alcohol is not terribly well hidden in this beer but that does not detract all to much from its drinkability. Not a bad beer and I'm pleased to be drinking it. But I don't know if I would buy it next summer for another saturday.

3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

22oz bottle poured into a goblet. Bottle-conditioned in 2010.

A: Hazy orange body. Surprisingly modest head. No lacing.

S: Fruits, spices, and a hint earthiness.

T: Strong earthy notes and some nice bitterness. Not nearly as sweet as the smell would indicate. Unfortunately, it's all overpowered by an immense alcohol burn that gets worse as the beer gets warmer. The last few ounces were nearly undrinkable.

M: Medium-bodied, hardly any carbonation.

D: I feel like it has potential, but it needs some age on it to mellow out the alcohol before it can become really drinkable. It may not be fair to grade a beer that's still green, but my stance is that it shouldn't be available for sale if it isn't ready to be drank.

3.92/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Flying Bison tulip glass. Poured a bright golden orange color with a thin and fizzy white lacing scattered across the top of the beer. The head faded to some faint traces after a few minutes.

The aroma has an orange peel and coriander type of citrus flavor to it. Some peppery spice comes through as well. I imagine the Belgian yeast adds a lot of the fruit and spice flavors that are coming through. Pretty flavorful and interesting aroma to it.

The taste has a nice mix of citrus and spice flavors. Some orange peel citrus flavor comes through along with some peppery spice in the finish. The Belgian yeast adds to the fruity and spiciness of the flavor. Some herbal, earthy hops are present throughout the flavor as well. A little bit of bready wheat rounds out the flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is on the higher side. Drinkability is pretty good, it had a nice mix of flavors and was a pretty good beer to drink this afternoon.

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a large tulip glass.
I have never seen a beer with this much head. Huge, thick puffs of foam rising out of the glass. As it settled it left 1/4" thick remnants of the head all the way down the glass. Beer itself was a hazy burnt orange. Smell was funky, grassy. Definitely what I expect from a good saison. Taste was crisp and intense. The ever intriguing horseblanket was front and center with this beer, followed by a nice banana like flavor on the back end. Mouthfeel was crisp and dry.
I love Smuttynose, but this is the first I've had of their "Big Beer Series". Hardly an original concept, but this beer at least lives up to the name for sure.
Big presentation, big aroma, big flavor, big beer.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

I really liked this beer it has a distinct taste of a farmhouse saison and represents the style well.

It pours a nice cloudy golden color and taste fresh earthy with lots of spice. Pour into a tulip glass the bubbles continued to flow to the top.

The taste was interesting but well within the style refreshing exspecaially on a hot day.

I highly recommend to someone looking for this style it is done well and as alway smuttynose delivers.

2.03/5  rDev -47.7%

Pours a cloudy brass with a think foamy head, really appealing.

Smell is not strong, but there is Belgian yeast and something like sweaty leather (saddle?). There is a warning of alcohol, but it's still promising

Taste, starts out crisp and citrusy with a hint of spice and a balancing undertone of fresh bread. Then disaster strikes. Who dropped the shot whiskey in my saison!? Nasty, cheap booze takes over and stays. Can't get rid of it. The promising start of the first sip is gone, the booze doesn't go away.

Mouthfeel was OK I guess, a little sweet, for me, medium body, but a touch heavy for saison, I think.

Drinkability - poor, to me. If you like Seagrams 7 and aren't looking for a crisp, refreshing saison it may be good. I did not want a premixed boiler maker.

A rare drain pour.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

I have had a few of these Big Beer Series from Smuttynose, and I do have to take my hat off for this amazing brewery. The beers that I have had from them have been spectacular!

The appearance on this one is a really nice orange heart that gradients out to a strong golden color. It has a nice off white head that is incredibly frothy and leaves a nice lacing on the sides of my tulip.

The smell is of strong Belgian spice, bitter orange, and coriander.

The taste is amazing, very well done. It has a great dry saison taste that is backed by some great Belgian yeast esters, orange peel, white pepper, and a little bit of barnyard. Really spicy which adds a great complexity, totally enjoyable.

The mouthfeel is good, perfectly carbonated and the spices really let the palate roam free. The drinkability is awesome, but there are so many flavors and it is such a complex brew that you want to savor it while its still in your glass.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Pours golden yellow with orange tints...there is copious amounts of thick foamy head that last awhile before falling to a 1/4" cap that leaves sheets of lacing.

I smell red apples, grapes, lemon, ginger, biscuits, sweet with some spice. I would like a little more earthy, musty funk.

I taste sweet red apples and ripe fruits up front, with a spicy bite taking over.

I think a creamier body would have suited this beer better...too dry...with too much bite.

Enjoyable with great flavors... not one Id drink all night though.

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Poured into a standard pint glass. The color is dark gold to light amber. I hear a loud fizzy sound as I pour. Highly carbonated. There is very little head but what is there stays around for the entire session.

S-Sweet and malty also some caramel.

Taste-A mildly sweet and yeasty taste hit my senses first. Then in the back of my tongue I sense a substantial bitterness. I also taste some citrus/lemon flavors but they are very faint. There are also some other flavors but they hide just beneath my ability to identify them.

Mouth feel is medium and appropriate for the style.

D-I like this beer. I could easy drink a few in one sitting. The bitterness may be off-putting to some for this style, but I think it provides a nice balance.

3.34/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy orange color with a huge foamy head that leaves great lacing. Big floral nose with some bitter astrigent like notes. Taste is not up to par with the great saisons I have had but still has a nice bitter floral taste. Mouthfeel and drinkability are on par with the style but still doesn't have that wow factor I was looking for which I really was expecting from a smutty nose product. Overall this is worthy, and I would order while out, but nothing to go crazy over.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

From a 22oz bomber, poured a deep yellow orangish color with a big foamy head. Pretty hazy and murky with lots of sticky lacings. Sweet malty aroma with hints of biscuit, yeast, and citrusy grapefruit. Tons of carbonation and a nice sweet full body feel. Sweet malty flavor in the front that leadsto a brief yeasty/biscuity middle and a spicy alcoholic ending. Quite drinkable. I will enjoy this one again.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Yo Bobby Z - I got the Exit 16, you got the Farmhouse? Word up.

A - Orangey-gold with a bit of white froth and lace

S - There is a strong green apple aroma, combine that with a pristine mineral-y malt and it smells exceptionally fresh. There is also a Tripel-like sweetness.

T - The taste is very nice, delivering on all of the promise of the nose. Big green apple flavors fuse with a pale and lightly astringent malt, with a healthy dose of grassy and exceptionally delectable hops on the long drying finish. A big-time winner here for Smuttynose.

M - Big feel; it seems quite robust for the style.

D - Very impressed. This is a hell of a brew.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Golden orange with very active carbonation and a ridiculously huge amount of foam. Foam takes forever to fade away and settle into a sold two-finger cap. Solid foam left all the way down the glass.

S - Wheat and Belgian yeast dominate the nose. Lots of ripe fruits and just a touch of mustiness. As the beer warms the sweetness really begins to open up.

T - The sweetness typical of Belgian candi sugar dominates up front with a quick tartness of ripe fruit coming in. Apples, pears and just a touch of lemon zest. Spices become more noticeable as the beer warms with hints of corriander and just a pinch of nutmeg. Spice is just a touch too strong for me to bump it into the 4.5/5.0 range, but this is a fine tasting saison.

M/D - Crisp and very well carbonated. Sticks on the tongue just a bit. Very easy drinking. ANother successful beer from the folks at Smuttynose.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Farmhouse Ale pours a light copper color. It's clear, and has more of a gold look when held to light. I was expecting at least a little haze, but it's not here. A soft white head covers it. It's modest and only rises to a finger or so in depth. Retention was short. Stringy strands of lace line the glass as it descends.

The nose would benefit from more power, but it's still good. Belgian yeast is readily apparent. Ahhh. That's a promising thing! Smells nice and authentic. It certainly has an earthy, musky, grassy thing going. I'm not getting any funk. I'm fairly certain there's no Brett here. It's a little fruity. Smells like apple mostly. Spices are subtle, but are noted. Smells good all-around. I'd like a little more strength.

Wow! This is damn good! Shockingly good! Farmhouse Ale kicks off with a bit of a sweet malt flavor. It's followed by sweet apple and pear fruit flavors. Belgian yeast comes through loud and clear. It kicks up the flavor a notch or two easily. I'm impressed. This is a job well done by an American brewery. It's earthy, grassy, and a little musky throughout. There's not any Brett here though. No worries. It's not missed. Clove and pepper spices add some pizzazz. Alcohol isn't a factor at all. Finishes a little spicy with a nice blast of Belgian yeast.

Farmhouse Ale has a medium body that's very creamy and smooth. Carbonation is light. If this were a blind tasting, I truly might guess that it's authentically Belgian. Drinkability is very high. This is one tasty Saison that goes down super smooth and easy. At 7.5% abv, it's not intimidating. A bomber probably isn't enough.

Smuttynose Brewing really shocked me with this one. This might just be the best American Saison/Farmhouse Ale I've ever had. It's damn good, and could easily be confused with an authentic Belgian release. I was not expecting it to be nearly this good. This bottle is about 2 years old, and perhaps has improved. I need to find a fresh bottle and find out. If you see this anywhere, pick it up! Very impressive stuff.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Nice earthy offering from Smuttynose leaning on a sweet side for this type of brew. Maybe a tad too hefty for the style.

Presentation: 22 oz capped brown bottle. Label with a classic painting of a family scene under a tree noting style. Side paragraph describes the series, style, main intent, and ingredients. Shows bottle conditioning date (2009). Served into a tulip glass.

A - Hazy deep gold pour with a rich frothy head, good retention and some lacing.

S - Sweet and spicy notes with an earthy and shy funk touch. Orange peel, clove...

T - Sweetness goes rubbing shoulders with an earthy bitterness. Spicy touches, pepper, clove, orange peel.

M - Medium body and carbonation with a generally smooth finish hindered by an occasional bitter swing.

D - It works well but lags a bit behind of what could be a higher drinkability with a better balance, in particular a smoother integration of the sweet profile.

Notes: Quite likable, and the price-quality ratio of these bombers in the area has been remarkable. But while enjoyable I´m not sure it is the saison I like the most to engage people around a table, it can be a bit rough, or heavy handed on occasion.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

I'd like to open this review with a question. Who cares how a beer smells? Does it matter if it tastes good? Unless it literally smells like an ass....so bad that you can't get it to your lips.

Anyways, I had to choose between this and Arrogant Bastard, and after the first sip I was wishing I had the bastad. I am not doing a comparison here, but after the next few sips, I got into the beer, and I was good with my choice. I think that says alot about the beer. It is solid, it is my first Smuttynose, I don't drink alot of belgians, so keep that in mind.

Good pour, great head, light vanilla brown color, taste is smooth for the most part, a bit bitter at the end, has that creamy vanilla taste, with a bit of lemon, light and fluffy, good for a change up. This is usually the opposite of what I drink, but I liked it, It is tough for me to compare it with others like this, because it is not usually what I get, but it was a solid beer, I would get it again sometime if I was looking for something in this world.

The real eye opener for me is Smuttynose, I want to try more of their beers. It is a tough task....but I am up for the challenge.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

this was the closest to a true Belgian Farmhouse Ale you can buy. Very good taste with exceptional taste, smell, appearance, and drinkability. ... We who love this brewery have come to expect nothing less.
That is why I always say "Make mine a Smutty"

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

22 oz. bottle, bottle-conditioned in 2009. Pours a hazy golden color, maybe an range tint to it. White fluffy head holds together well for a few minutes, then fades to a nice ring, leaving a nice patchwork of lace.

Fruity in the nose, especially ripe apples. Maybe a hint of banana. Some earthy, slightly peppery and yeasty notes seem to close things out.

A big malt character seems to stick out up front, with a good amount of sweetness. Lots of ripe fruit. A faint pepper note. Earthy and slightly yeasty. Only a hint of tartness, and not much funk to it.

Mouth seems a bit full for the style, and the carbonation is on the lighter side. Alcohol seems hidden pretty well. A nice beer, but quite my preference for the style.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer has a hazy apricot body with a big foamy off-white head with a sea of slow microbubbles.
S- The fruit aroma has a dry soft cinnamon spice with a light we stone note in the finish.
T- This beer has a green herbal pine note with some wheat dough notes. There are some cheese rind notes with some yeasty earthy hint in the finish. The light spice comes through in the finish aswell.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a tight fizzy finish. Some alcohol heat comes through in the finish.
D- This beer is a big fusel in the alcohol finish with some odd fruity finishes that is more like breakfast cereal than yeasty.

3.84/5  rDev -1%

22oz bomber, $5.99 from Lebanon Health Food Store, Lebanon NH. Bottle-conditioned in 2009. Served luke-cold, ~55F in a standard pint glass.

A: Massive 4-finger rocky white head takes forever to settle. Like meringue on a pie. Brew is a cloudy golden yellow. Huge icebergs of foam cling to the glass.

S: Sweet honey, lemon rind, melon, biscuit. Nice, but not hugely fragrant.

T: Taste is a much more intense version of the nose. Sweet honey and lemon rind throughout plus an appropriate bit of yeasty funk. Some herbal qualities become apparent later on.

M/D: Big thick mouthfeel. Alcohol not apparent. A bit too thick/sweet for what I'd expect from a Belgian farmhouse.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

Received this in a recent trade, thanks Vermonthiker! Poured into tulip glass. Poured an attractive orangey-yellow color with a tall, white head of coarse bubbles that had great retention and very good lacing.

The aroma was a nice blend of spices and yeast, with some pleasing grain in the background. The flavors followed the path blazed by the aromas with everything being nicely amplified. I also picked up some fruit notes that I didn't smell.

The body was very good, crisp and dry, and was a pleasure to drink. Drinkability was excellent, I could have 2 of these 22s without any trouble (I may have to trade for more of this).

Overall, a very good beer that you would do well to try, I'll be getting more of this.

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company