Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series) | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company

2013 - 7.0%
2014 - 7.2% brewed with Pineapple Sage

Added by Bierman9 on 02-12-2006

4.5/5  rDev +16%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellow-orange color and a slightly cloudy consistency. There was a huge, foamy, long-lasting head and good (but not great) lacing.

S: A nice aroma of citrus, fruit, malt and esters.

T: Tasted of apples, citrus, pears, malt, yeast and some esters (this is particularly present early on). Very complex and flavorful.

M: A big, biting amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

D: This is one of the most drinkable American versions of a saison out there. Well-made and tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

For my 200th review, I've decided to review this beer. This is probably the only one in the Big Beer series that I've seen around here.

Poured into a goblet. Color is a very nice amber/brown hue with minimal head. Aroma is bold, spicy and malty. Somewhat sweet as well. Taste is much of the same. It starts off warm and spicy, almost chewy. The mouthfeel is really nice as it leaves a sweetness on the back of the tongue. Well-balanced and pretty much what I expect from a saison. A second sip confirms much of the same. The alcohol is well-masked and is barely noticeable.

As for the style, I think it's closer than other saisons I've reviewed. I would rate it higher because of this. An excellent sipping beer.

Bomber from 2007...modified Duvel glass

Eyes: Pours bright ..orange. Heads nicely and recedes to a 1/4" head that laces the glass as it does.

Nose: Orange blossom ...honeyed malts

Tounge: Sweet Malt that winds up only to ride shotgun to citrusy spice

Texture: Medium body...smooth....creamy after some breathing

Overall experience: Not my first bottle of this elixir...not my last!
The kicker ....4.99 for the bomber

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

This offering from the Smuttynose Big Beer Series pours a foggy golden orange leaving a thick tan head. The aroma is pitted and tropical fruit, bananas, orange, lemon, lime, cilantro, yeast, wheat/bready aroma very nice and complex.

The taste is absolutely fantastic sugary ripe pineapple, grapes, passion fruit, orange, mango, wheat, spicy rustic hops and yeast delicious farmhouse one of the best I've had.

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured into a Cigar City snifter. Label says it was bottled in 2011.

A- Pours a bright orange color with a one finger head that slouches down the an 1/8 inch ring with a spot of surface bubbles in the center and thin foam surrounding it. Quite good lacing as well.

S- Wonderful. Full wafts of ripe banana. Also sense some possible spice.

T- Oh my. I was right about the spice since upfront there's a clove sentiment which leads to those awesome bananas with an all-encompassing sweetness. After a few sips, the alcohol is finally detected and felt. At first, I couldn't tell at all that this was over 9%. Has a fruity finish with some hints of grapefruit. Kickass.

M- Medium carbonation and a solid body with a bit of back-of-the-throat sourness.

O- This is some good sheet, man. I didn't know farmhouse ales could be this...big! Yet it still has all those characteristics I love in the style. I may have found my favorite Smuttynose brew.

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Light amber hazy brew, leaves nice lacing, active bubbles

Aroma as spot on for the style, spicy-sour with a slight funkiness, but that is a clean funkiness, if that makes sense.

Taste is wonderful, tangy fruitness and a crisp mouthfeel, balanced by a nice heft on the palate. The flavors are multiple, complex, herbal and apply fruit notes. Great job!

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

I generally like Smuttynose beers and think them a fine brewery. That being said, I was stunned by the quality of this beer the other night. I ordered the 3 for 4 (three 10 oz beers for $4) at Mahaffey's the other night and quickly pushed aside the Dominion Winter and Anchor special ale and just drank this.

The beer pours a honey gold peach color with fair head retention and good lacing. The beer was very spicey and lively on the nose with nuances of rose, ginger and white pepper. The beer smelled great, but was even better on the palate. The beer has moderate sweetness with flavors of banana, bubble gum and orange. The beer is very light on its feet and carrries its 7.5% alcohol very well. The beer is incredibly drinkable and I was absolutely shocked to see the abv. as high as it is. The beer has a soft, almost creamy finish and is just delicious.

This is one of the best (perhaps the best) domestic farmhouse/saison I have ever had. A very impressive beer from Smuttynose.

Edit: Am trying this beer on tap again today on 8/1/10. While this beer is still very good. Smuttynose has obviously changed the recipe considerably since I first reviewed this beer in 12/07. A far cry from the 7.5% listed on this site, the 2010 version clocks in at 9.3% and shows it. The beer is still quite delicious, but the alcohol is starting to show, and I don't think it really helps the flavor profile in this beer. Really don't see the need to "imperialize" this excellent beer, but that's just my opinion.

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Deep golden body. Clarity is almost perfect. Head is small and bubbly. Off white in color. Lace comes in sparsely placed patches. Great nose of honey and hay and pepper and dough. Nice barnyard character on the palate, though not overbearing. I like the doughy yeasiness and bready malt base a lot. This is very easy on the buds. A little lemon and a little peppery spiciness add some complexity. Very well rounded. Mouthfeel is very easy going. Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. A very enjoyable saison.

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

a: This was a clear, slightly coppery golden color. It poured with a big but short lived sticky white head.

s: Smutty got the funk part just right. Earthy, pungent, and mildy acidic yeasty notes dominate. Also some almost citric, flowery hops and a little coriander. Nice touch of heat as well.

t: This has brief moment of sweetness before the yeasty funk kicks in. The finish is dry and peppery with a surprising hit of leafy, lemony hops.

m: Big viscous body and lush, creamy carbonation. This has a filling, chewy feel overall with a lingering peppery/funk bite.

d: I really like this one. This almost gives Ommegang's Hennepin a run for it's money. I need some more of these.

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Kruggerand gold with a faint yeasty haze following the first pour. The three finger crown is an especially attractive shade of rich ivory, has a firmly creamy texture and isn't shy about laying down lace. Plainly and simply, this is good looking beer.

According to the aroma, Farmhouse Ale is a fruity-herbal-spicy saison, as opposed to an earthy-funky one. In other words, this is a Brettanomyces-free zone. Can a saison yeast result in a beer that smells this authentic and this wonderful? In the right hands, why not? Warming opens things up even more and forces me to click on the next highest score.

Farmhouse Ale is yet another outstanding Big Beer Series offering from Smuttynose. Who knew they had a Belgian-style saison in 'em? They definitely did their homework... and it shows. This stuff should be released in 750 ml bottles with a cork and cage. That way, the packaging can be as impressive as the contents.

With respect to flavor, barley malt stays the hell out of the way, which is definitely for the best. I'm guessing that pale or pilsner malt is numero uno by a fairly wide margin. Thanks to Belgian candi sugar, there's still a good bit of residual sweetness to balance the bitterness and the hoppiness.

The flavor profile includes ripe pears and apples, a surprising amount of creamy banana, a twist of lemon and a generous sprinkling of ground clove (possibly even coriander). It just occured to me that this ale tastes like an Imperial hefeweizen. And a damn good one at that.

It doesn't matter if you like big American beer or Belgian beer, the mouthfeel is beautifully built. The beer feels medium-full on contact, then the well-buried bubbles take over and lighten it to a silky smooth creaminess that seems to linger forever.

When I put Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale on my wants list, I had no idea what incredible beer it is. Thanks to biegaman for sending me this bottle so I could find out. Trouble is, now I want more. Much, much more.

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

Cant say enough good things about this beer. Fan-freekin-tastic.

Pours a 1 finger foam clear golden yellow.

Smells, crisp, fruity, a little funky. P-funky...

Sweet, carbonated, fruity

Finishes sweet, crisp. If fairies peed, this is what it'd taste like.

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

Bomber (notched 2008, I just bought in Boston last week) poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, the Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale is a dark burnt gold with a large, tight bubbled white head that leave heavy chunks of foam.

Smell is full of saison esters, peppery then tropical fruit, with a hint of rubber and some funky phenols.

Taste is very nice, big saison flavor, very authentic and well done, with no off flavors. Pithy citrus and other fruits dominate, yummy.

Mouthfeel is very carbonated, medium bodied and super clean.

Drinkability is great, a big estery saison, heavy on the fruit, right up my ally. I brew mostly saisons, and this is very similar to my favorite batches, and so really speaks to me. Wish I would have brought back another one of these to share with some fellow saison lovers, as this is one of the best American Saison I've ever had...I need to give this one a showdown with Southampton's Saison Deluxe, wow, it's f-in' good!

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

This is my new favorite Belgian style beer. It pours a nice light amber color, with a healthy head that fades quickly. Smell is like a typical Belgian Tripel to me. This is one delicious beer! The taste is nice and malty, slightly yeasty and spicey. No overpowering Belgian flavors that typically turn me off from the style, just in my mind, the perfect balance between those and a sweet maltiness. There is a slight tartness there to balance the malty sweetness. Hops are there, but not very strong. Although Hennipen is the only other Saison I've tried, I am starting to see the appeal of these beers.

Update: I just had another bottle of this beer last night, and I have to add that it is really refreshing. I had it shortly after running (after a few glasses of water of course) and it really tasted great.

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Yeah so this is a nice orange red tinted clear with a white large chunky dense head. Damn near picture perfect in fact why not. Smell is of summer feilds with sweet malt and a lingering stinging feel from the CO2 in my nose. The nice citrus tones are well matched with the noble hop character. The flavor is just a large dump of the smells with a tangy sweet after taste that plays well in Peoria. Nice light decent carbonation that lends to solid drinkablility and makes this a beer to get a lot of at only $3 a 22oz.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

Got in a trade with johnnnniee - many thanks! Poured from a 650ml bottle with a 2007 date on the label into my DT tulip. It was a hazy golden honey color. It barely had a head and that was quickly gone. No lacing and slight carb. The aroma was spicy and orange with the usual corriander. It was a little fruitier than most saisons and didn't have that typical "dry" smell to it. The taste followed the aroma and again had a more spicy/fruity than dry finish. Really liked this one as the very dry ones leave me thirsty for a water chaser. This is my first Smuttynose and looking forward to trying more. Highly recommend if you can find it as it's a very limited release. (4.5, RR, T, Y)

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

The Farmhouse Ale poured beautifully into my tall pint glass with a short head that belied its fathoms of taste. The fruit and floral aromas told me more about this ale I as dove in for a taste. The golden red ale tasted differently each time as a hundred different colors came to my mind. A light sense of hops came around to remind me this was an ale and not just a glorious find. It also had a malty background, unlike other saison interpretations I have had.

My hat is off to the Smuttynose Brewing Company for creating such a great ale.

4.41/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this one from JasonA, cheers!!

Pours an effervescent amber with one finger of pearl colored head. Nice vicious look to this one, hazes a bit at the bottom of the bottle; average lacing & head retention

S: Orchard fruits & apple peels, orange blossoms & nature in abundance!

T: Pears, honey, apricot & a bit of dirt, mushrooms & dryness up front. Nice green apples, white grape juice & grapefruiity hops as this warms. Finishes with fruitty crispness, a bit of grapefruit hops & much appley goodness

MF: Sticky, effervescent & light/medium bodied all at once

Drinks very easy, despite all the complexity going on here. A great take on the style! Smutty rarely disappoints & mostly blows me away!

4.4/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer. Light, FUNKY, and a bit floral. Definately a farmhouse ale. FUNKY but not sour. Quite refreshing. Great Spring, Summer and Fall beer.

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company