Smuttynose Hanami Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Spring

Added by Sycodrummer on 12-10-2006

3.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a small glass, The liquid is a clean and clear looking light copper with extra carbonation. The head was not so big, a finger white and just a touch of lace.

The smell is light, cherries, but not Smith Brothers. thankfully. Still faint.

The taste is ok nice with the cherries if that is your thing not quite for me. This is how ever one of the better tasting cherry beers I have had.

The mouthfeel is light and airy.

The drinkability just is not there. Mk

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a clear amber.Small head of thin bubbled foam. Leaves some decent lace along the sides of the glass.

Smell is fairly non-descript other than malty woody and somewhat cider -ish.

Taste is a good upfront malt with nice pale ale type hop kick a fairly dry and woody finish. The fruit definitely comes into play on the finish as well and it reminds me of cherries or plums.

Not too drinkakble. A decent novelty beer but thats about it.

3.8/5  rDev +16.9%

I found this to beer a pretty good pairing of fruit and grains. It was a nice redish color, but unfortunately had no lacing. Its smelled of clean caramel grains like out of an amber. The cherry had the top-note in the flavor, but was mixed with toasted barley grains and a bit of creamy yeast (or maybe diacetyl). The mouthfeel was sweet, but still tart. A fun beer to try. Not another dumbed-down overly-sweet fruit beer.

2.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Mine was a cloudy amber color. It poured with a modest head and had some lacing. At first it semed very sour, but less so throughout. It did seem fairly carbonated and the finish was a sour bitter. It was interesting, but not compelling. One was enough.

2.89/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours with a big, fluffy cream colored head that leaves good lacing. The body is a very pretty clear ruby-amber color with a light steam of carbonation.
The smell is a bit hard to define, kind of a musty, cherry aroma.
Initially, the taste is a very tart/sour cherry and finishes dry and sour.
Mouthfeel is medium with a carbonation sting.
Drinkability is difficult. I didn't like it, couldn't finish it and wouldn't have drunk as much as I did if I wasn't trying to review it.
I do like Smuttynose beers and think this must be another risky beer for them that didn't work for me.

2.76/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a clear ruby amber color with full finger off white head that resists fading. Significant, 3D, lacing present.

The smell is complex. Earthy and a little smokey with a berry fruit note of the cherry. I'm detecting "that yeast" that I've found in a handful of 'winter' ales that I've experienced recently. Not a big fan.

The mouth feel is light and a little acidic... then comes the swallow.

The flavor ending is sour. The tartness is clean for the most part with only a slight lingering presence. I'm not going to finish it. Empty calories need to be a pleasant experience.

2.05/5  rDev -36.9%

Interesting. I'll say that much for it. Very interesting.

On the plus side, a beautiful beer. Bold, cherrywood with a pretty tan head, a few trails of lacing.

And now for the minus side.

Smell is musty, sharp and sour. Beer is full, almost chewy, but the chewiness is dashed by a sharp assault of sour cherry. For a moment, the sweetness of the beer bears up against the sourness, and for that moment, this is a good beer; however, the malt crumbles, and you are left with a sourness that then seems to escalate in a vindictive fashion, leaving you with just a hint of cherry, and a whallop of acrid, dry sourness. And then, instead of fading, the sourness gets worse... ten, fifteen seconds after you have swallowed, it's still there, burning slightly, like backwash.

Not able to finish it. Glad I only had one, which was donated by a friend who was trying to erase evidence of the six pack she bought.

I want the beer that this was before they added the sour cherry to it.

2.93/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a five finger cream head that fades to a thin layer leaving some lace. Clear amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Slight hoppy nose. Flavor is tart maybe cherry, dry tart finish. Not like any Belgian Ale I have tasted. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH.

3.83/5  rDev +17.8%

This is an interesting beer. It pours a translucent copper with a thin white head.

The smell is subtle with some hints of cherry.

The taste hits you with some sour cherry flavors readily apparent with a light finish. It is different and interesting for a Belgian inspired ale.

The mouthfeel is pleasant, and the drinkability is decent. This is a nice beer for a lot of occasions. Maybe not a session beer, but worth trying.

This beer is a great example of what I love about Smuttynose. They make a variety of styles well, and this is one of their more adventerous efforts. I'm glad they are making different, interesting beers like this one.

3.72/5  rDev +14.5%

I was able to get about a finger's worth of reddish/off-white head out of the pour, but it did not have very good retention. The color was a slightly cloudy medium-red and the nose had a slight sourness to it, undoubtedly from the cherry juice added to the beer. The mouthfeel was very effervescent with a great sour cherry taste on the tongue. The finish was rather dry and the whole experience reminded me of my uncle's homemade Montmorency cherry wine. I would not want a whole bunch of these at one sitting, but it would be a wonderful accompaniment to fish or as a dessert beer.

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

The beer pours a reddish color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale ale scent along with a mild cherry aroma that peaks through. The taste is decent. It has a sour cherry flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry and tart.It has a light malt feel, but the flavor is dominated with cherries. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a weird brew, but I kind of like it. It's tart and flavorful. It's different, not bad.

2.95/5  rDev -9.2%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a gueuze glass. I picked this one up because it was a Smuttynose, and I had never seen it around before. I usually like their ales, so I expected good, if different, things from this.

Pours a hazy, ruby-tinged copper color, with a scant amount of tan head.

The nose is sour cherries and yeast, with some spice notes.

The flavor is bitter, with cherries and yeast both making it so. There is a definite malt backbone, but it never really comes to the forefront. The cherry flavor at the end is a little too strong for me -- almost more juicebox than ale.

The mouthfeel is hurt by excessive carbonation and fizziness. Drinkability is ok, but with the tartness and high carbonation, this is definitely a slow-sipping, one-at-a-time beer.

Overall, I'm kind of disappointed. I can't really reccommend this at all.

Pours an intriguing amber red into my Harpoon IPA glass. From the bottle it has a pink look to it but, when in the glass, it goes the way of the amber red. Head rises to a pillowy inch and slowly subsides.

Aromas are slightly spicy with the hints of cherry and thyme. Put this to your lips and everything comes alive.

The brew hits your lips and then dances its way across the tongue. Initiall sensory reception indicates belgian ale, oh and a hint of hops. Quick transition to the cherryliscious flavors with the sour setting in - nice. Finishes sour-dry - ver nice - a bit of sweetness left on the tongue.

This brew is quite nice to start the day - or anytime for that matter. Highly recommend giving it a try.

2.76/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

FIRST TRIAL: Bottle from Murray's. This is a tiny bit interesting, but not nearly as interesting or as unique as I was expecting. To tell the truth, beyond the name, there's just really not that much to it. I enjoy the Smuttynose Big A IPA and their regual IPA is fine, but the more of their products that I try, the less impressed I am. The beer pours a red copper with a reasonable sized head that diminishes very quickly to just a slight ring around the top. The aroma is almost reminiscent of a plain amber/brown ale, with just a faint hint of cherry. The taste is similar... not much cherry, not much anything at all. The aftertaste is subtle-y bitter with a hint of sourness. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I had this beer right after the Rubaeus. It might be good because I can compare two different fruit beers back to back, but then again I may not be tasting all that well after the very fruity taste (relative to this beer) of the Rubaeus. I can't really imagine recommending this beer.

3.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Well, I was down in the Smuttynose section, and was taken by the cute cartoons on the label, and I couldn't quite figure out what kind of beer this was aside from that it was for springtime (the sakana maturi [cherryblossom festival] theme helped). Only once I was puzzled by the beer's ruby color did I study the label further and discover that it's made with cherry juice. Makes sense in a weird way, and though I didn't like it much at first, the whole idea grew on me. It's a little like a Kriek, I guess.

It's pretty in the glass, all red & white. Smells like cocoa and unripe cherries with a sweet & sour thing going on that kind of freaked me out. At the beginning of the glass, I was not happy about the taste, but its sourness grew on me. I agree with the reviewer who said that they've got a good start on an interesting beer, but it still needs some tweaking. The sourness of the yeast leaves a good dry mouthfeel, but still I'm going to need a while to work through this sixpack -- i don't think i could have more than one in a session.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

Smuttynose Hanami Ale
12 oz brown bottle
Best before August 2007
Served in a Chouffe Houblon goblet

Pours a light reddish pink with burnt orange highlights. A decent head on top providing some trails of sticky lace.

Whiffs of grains and obvious fruity overtones Certainly pick up some cherries in the nose.

The sip starts off with a syrupy quality, almost like concentrated fruit juice. There is a grainy quality to provide a backbone. The finish provides a striking, yet controlled sour punch with hints of cherries and cranberries. Pleasantly tart with a spritzer-like carbonation. Very smooth and refreshing.

An interesting beer to say the least and a nice alternative to other spring seasonals.

3.51/5  rDev +8%

What a surprise to see this beer which I have been interested in trying for some time right across the street from me at the spirit shop. I haven't been hearing too many great things, but I'll try not to let that sway my asessment. It pours a really great looking rasberry color, and a white laced head. The cherry juice is apparent in the smell, very sweet and sour at the same time. I can already tell that this is a strange one. Taste was wow, really tart in the front, followed by a creamy sweetness in the background. It really is like berries and cream. I also picked up on a little bit of leafy green character on this beer. Mouthfeel was light, and a bit shocking at first, but after a few sips, it becomes much easier to quaf. I can't imagine making a night with this beer, but a single one is pretty damn interesting. As far as I can tell, this is the freak of the Smuttynose line. All the others are awesome, but this one is just weird. That being said, I liked it alot.

3.82/5  rDev +17.5%

12 Oz Bottle - 2007 Vintage - Best Before July 2007 - Poured Into A Cantillon Bar Glass

Appearance: Poured quickly into the glass followed by ample head that is quickly disappearing. Carbonation is present and bubbles are still sticking to the sides of the glass. The beer is orangish red. This is a filtered beer with no existing sediment.

Smell: Mango sweetness and belgian yeast are very strong aromas. I supposed there is some cherry in there but I might be forcing myself to believe that it is.

Taste: Wow. This is a complex beer. Carbonation pinch on the tongue is immediate. The flavors come in as a belgian pale ale and exit just as fast. Yeast is apparent but not cloying. The cherry flavor is screaming to get out but it makes it's presence known as a tart finish. Malt stability makes drinking fun.

Mouthfeel: This is a perfect 5 for sure. It's a fruit beer. It's a belgian beer. It's a fun experience of mouthfeels. It goes above and beyond of how it pleases the mouth. Tart, complex, carbonated, smoothe.

Drinkability: Great! This is refreshing and could be consumed in quantity. No bad aftertastes and plenty of flavor. Bravo.

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 12 oz bottle purchased at Oak Tree Buy Rite.

A: The ale pours with an amber red color that has just a bare tint of deeper cherry red. The head weighed in near 1 finger on pour and quickly dissapated away.

S: The ale has a nutty malt aroma that is slightly sour with a yeasty funkiness.

T: The ale has an Old Brown Dog Ale body, strong on nutty malts upfront. As the first wave of maltiness subsides, a subtly sour flavor emerges. It has a tart edge, as though it were a pinch of brett or some open fermentation. The taste ends with a sour cherry flavor.

M: The mouthfeel is interesting, careening from nutty to sour cherry in one sip. The subtlety of the tartness is appreciated.

D: I think that one glass is enough, the tart sourness is tough to take in mass quanitites.

2.73/5  rDev -16%

I actually picked this beer up thinking in advance that I would not be much of a fan. But I like to prove myself wrong from time to time, so here goes...

Pours well in to a standard pint glass. A reddish-orange color with a nice looking head. Darker in color than I thought it would be. The foam even has a slightly reddish tint to it... or is that just my mind playing tricks on me, trying to force the cherries into my conscience. Leaves a nice lace. The bouquet here is not very pronounced. Faint cherry aroma deep down, but otherwise a very bland aroma. It should have been a bit stronger, for a fruit beer, in my opinion. The taste is interesting. Malty, with a very tart cherry sting attached. It really hits my taste buds hard. Acidic and tangy. Not unpleasant, but not very good either. If there is a hop presence here, it is drowned out by the tartness of the fruit. At times it calls to mind the tang of the Rodenbach, but the rest of the beer is relatively weak. If there was a stronger malt presence here to add more sweetness to balance out the tartness of the cherry flavor. A yeasty, breadlike aftertaste. Interesing, but on the whole I think this one misses the mark. Revisiting the recipe might be in order. A valid try, but a failed experiment in the end.

3.36/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a slightly dark orangish-brown with a frothy off-white head that never really disappears. Fruity, estery aroma with firm yeast notes. Pretty much the same as the aroma: fruity (cherry, mostly), estery and some slightly clovey yeast character. There’s a good bit of malt sweetness but it’s well balanced by a firm, sour tartness (probably from the fermented cherry juice).

It’s not the most substantial beer I’ve had recently, but it’s crisp, tart and pretty refreshing. I know I’m not having any trouble getting through the six-pack…

Recommended…

3.78/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: pours a clear orange color with some reddish tones. One finger head lasts a while. Medium lacing and low carbonation levels.

Smell: light cherry sweetness is the most predominant flavor.

Taste: wheat, cherries, plums, and very soft bitterness. The fruit flavors are mild and not fake in any means.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp and very dry throughout. Short cherry-laden aftertaste. Light-medium in body.

Drinkability: nicely refreshing beer here. Easy to quaff, but after two bottles this may get a bit redundant. Worth giving it a shot.

3.36/5  rDev +3.4%

Though I probably shouldn't be pouring this into a pint glass, alas, this 12 oz. bottle is going into a pint glass.

Appearance: A nice slightly hazy ruby red color with lots of bubbles floating to the top, which end up contributing to a pretty rocky head at a constant 1" toward the top of the glass. It ends up leaving a nice mix of bubbles on the side along with some decent rings of lacing too.

Smell: As it warms there's hints of sour cherries, slight yeast, some light chocolate, and malt sweetness. Potential to be wonderful, but it's kind of blurry right now.

Taste: Kind of like a watered down chocolate covered cherry in some sense. The first beers I thought of while tasting this were Troegs Mad Elf and Bell's Cherry Stout. Of course the latter being a stout really doesn't compare in some sense, but Mad Elf seems to be the closest thing to this I can put my finger on. However, since the ABV is so low, I feel like that's one thing taking away from this beer, as if Smuttynose wanted to make an almost lighter version and instead of a strong Belgian made a Pale Ale. This is where it suffers. Still, there's enough malt to bring sweetness, while the cherries are tart as all hell and lip smacking. It's not as harmonious as it could be, but this is pleasantly sour, especially when it warms, and though most would rather have a Saison or something like a Flanders Red (and I would too), this certainly is different, kind of light, a bit unbalanced, but interesting enough to keep me drinking and enjoying it.

Mouthfeel: Unfortunately a bit thin and slightly watery, but I think that, along with the lower carbonation levels, for me at least, lets the sour nature of the cherries come through a bit more, which saves this from being lower than the rating I'm giving it right now.

Drinkability: I'm not necessarily surprised by the ratings before me on the rather low side, but I quite enjoyed this for something different, and all in all something pretty ballsy. I'm not sure I would make this a staple, but the six pack I bought proved to be, as I said, something both different and fairly engaging. Yes, the recipe needs to be tweaked to make it a winner, but for now it's an interesting brew, especially for the upcoming spring season.

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 oz bottle with the funky little Pokemon label, I poured this into my tulip glass. It poured a nice bright red with a casual bubbliness. The aroma is very even-keeled, with maybe just a tease of cherry blossoms. But the flavor is pure sweet cherries, but not in an obtuse overly sweet way. The fruit here is more humble and calmly delivered. I like this. (#2736, 3/5/2007)

1.64/5  rDev -49.5%

A - this ale pours a light brown, with a finger of rocky white head, with small and swift carbonation

S - a rather unpleasant musty aroma, hard to pick out any particulates, you can tell its a sweetened hoppy aroma, but thats about it

T - a dull musty cherry aroma, low quality hop flavor, lack bitterness and sweetness, very bland, with a acidic sweetness

M&D - not very palatable, i will try this again though to make sure i didnt get a bad one. just wasnt very tasty, though i had no problem chugging it to get rid of it

Smuttynose Hanami Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company