Smuttynose Homunculus (Big Beer Series) | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Homunculus (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Homunculus (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Availability: Summer

This hoppy, Belgian-style golden ale first appeared in early 2007 as the first edition of our Short Batch Series. At that time, we called it the Gnome, an homage to Brasserie d'Achouffe.

2011 - 9.9%

Added by Bierman9 on 02-11-2007

1.08/5  rDev -72.1%

1.75/5  rDev -54.8%

2.63/5  rDev -32%

First, not impressed with the label. Almost didn't buy it just because of the artwork.

22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. 2011. Pours a golden amber with thin white head that fades without a trace. Nose smells like sweet corn and corn husks with some amber malt mixed in and banana peel/leaf. There's flash of hops, but it's overtaken by "esters." Palate is fat, wide, slick and un-bounded. A seeming trainwreck of "Belgian" flavors: banana peel, caramel malt, fruitbasket, cloves and lettuce. Yup...lettuce.

Not impressed at all. It's like the yeast gave up the ghost. A syrupy mess of a Belgian tripel I suppose. (Reminds me of that first bottled batch of Gravitation where the yeast died before reaching the intended alcohol level.) Label is disturbing, beer is flat and viscous. I usually love the Smutty Big Beers, but this is headed for the drain. Sorry folks.

2.73/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Beer had big flavors but they were not balanced. Sweet fruit taste clashed rather than enhance. Also, somehow even with the big flavor, the alcohol was noticeable. This one was bottled in 2011, so maybe the age detracted.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours a clear golden color with half inch white head that dissipated fairly quickly. A light layer of white stays with this.

Fruity, but not too sweet belgian yeasty scent pour from this. Huge on the nose. Bubblegum and pears, a sense of alcohol, light citrus. Bit of hop character, but not much, was expecting maybe slightly more here.

Upon first sip, my immediate thought is malty sweet bomb, but then some bitterness comes through at the close. Has a good spice note. This bitter does not match this sweet. Off balance. Bit boozy for the flavors.

Light medium, smooth carbonation, dry finish.

Eh, was expecting better. Not very good. Change the hops! Or something. Leans too much on the malty side for me.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

22 ounce bottle, 2011 vintage. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a hazy golden/orange color with about a half inch off-white head which sticks around for a little while. There's also a good amount of lacing. Aroma is fruity (but also light), the brew smells like pears, apples, white grapes, bananas, citrus, and a bit of peppery spice. The taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also some bready malt and a slight herbal/medicinal flavor noticeable. Unfortunately, I think this brew starts to taste worse and worse the longer I drink it. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and has a good amount of carbonation. I didn't care for this brew much at all, mainly because I didn't like the taste of it. I didn't think it was awful, but I didn't think it was exactly good, either. I usually like Smuttynose beers, but this one wasn't for me.

2.89/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

I know I've had some good Smuttynose beers in the past, but I have to say that after this one and especially after the Gravitation beer, Smuttynose and I are going to take a break, at least as far as their "Big Beer" series.

This pours a cloudy very light copper color with a medium head and average retention. Lacing is pretty good. The smell is unfortunately overpowered by alcohol, although when straining to see past the alcohol I find some nice fruit, including cherry and berry, and malt tastes, and it's clear there's some yeast being used here. The taste suffers from a lack of balance, with the alcohol flavor out of control. The yeast seems to offer some nice flavors, but the label on the beer says that it is "Impregnated with loads of hop character", and yet I find very, very little hop character here at all. By the way, don't drink this beer when pregnant or when looking for a balanced and flavorful beer. Anyway, it's OK--it's not well thought out, like the Gravitation beer, and I wish I hadn't bought such a large bottle of it. The mouthfeel is drying but spot on as far as thickness, but overall it's a beer I would try again as it needs to be reconstructed.

Smuttynose Homunculus (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company