Really Old Brown Dog Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Really Old Brown Dog AleReally Old Brown Dog Ale

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Old Ale

Olive, iconic mascot & spirit guide of our brewery, first appeared on our Old Brown Dog label in 1994 & returned, thirteen years later, to pose for our Really Old Brown Dog, a luscious, malt-rich, full bodied “old ale” featuring deep notes of complex fruit. Much like our beloved Olive, this beer will mellow & age gracefully.

Formerly part of the Big Beer Series.

2007 - 7.0%
2008 - 9.3%
2010 - 10.9%
2012 - 10.1$
2014 - 11.1%

Added by cbl2 on 03-03-2007

After 2 years of aging, this is malty perfection.

08 vintage poured into snifter

Dark brown pour with a tan head. Smells of sweet caramel and and tropical fruits. Tastes of beautiful ripe berries and a nice malty backbone. Carbonation and mouthfee are amazing not crazy carbonated but not flat. Overall 3 years has turned this maybe B beer into a hands down A+ absolutly amazing.

4.98/5  rDev +27.4%

There is no date on this bottle other than bottle conditioned in 2012.

Out of a bomber and into a pint glass and a nonic:

A: pure brown colored body fed a three finger head in the regular pint glass and about a two finger head in the nonic, light carbonation took its good old sweet time surfacing. The lacing was a perfect coat around the sides of both glasses.

S: raisins and bourbon, some oak and some light nuts in the background. If I remember correctly, I must have smelled this at least twenty times before I actually took a sip because I was so enthalled by the smells and how they combined. Everything is balanced super! There is nothing off, everything is pure and making itself well known. Nothing is overbearing.

T: centered around the raisins and bourbon, some strong notes of caramel come out. Near the end of the beer, some chocolate comes out. The malts also come out close to the end of the beer. As the beer warms, the chocolate comes out a lot more.

M: medium, borderline heavy with a great creaminess that surrounds the entire brew. The finish leaves a bit of chocolate. The carbonation is well balanced. For everything that is going on, this is still a very drinkable beer. I could have at least three of these with a steak, yet I know I could have this alone as dessert and be satisfied.

O: Though the ABV is high, this beer still has what it takes to show the varieties of complex notes to each review category. I'm thoroughly impressed. I think this ranks up among the stars of the greatest beers I've ever had at least for me. I can't wait to have this again.

4.85/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden amber in color with not much in the way of head retention or lacing. Smells of some bread and fruits. Taste is of sweet malts, dark fruits, and biscuits. Coats the palate nicely and is quite enjoyable to drink. I thoroughly enjoyed indulging on this Smuttynose take on an old ale!

4.83/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +23%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Now I’m sipping a Really Old Brown Dog and when I mean sipping, I mean slowly sipping, because whereas the Old is 6.7% ABV, this one is 11.1%. Like I said earlier when you weren’t reading, I’m a fan of Smuttynose, and I’ve been revisiting their beers and reviewing them here for posterity, although I might try a Founders or Sierra Nevada next to change things up a bit. I like how they, Smuttynose of course, clearly label each bottle with a date and ABV in white ink on the bottle itself. With the Old and Finestkind, the date is the one to drink by, but the Really Old is a bottle conditioned date, which is a nice touch, more like a vintage year kind of thing. Now this one was bottled in Nov 2014 so we’re not exactly talking Bordeaux yet, but a lot can happen in 5 months. But I’m still alive to tell you: now we’re talking! This is almost more mellow than the Old because it hides its alcohol behind a smooth caramel wash but there’s a sharp licorice backwash to let you know this isn’t just a milky way. It’s another galaxy altogether where the cantinas are filled with old celestials speaking about their latest alchemies promising immortality using yin-yang malts and silver hops and wine-soaked poets drowning in a lake of moons. Although the color is similar to the Old, I can’t really tell, because clouds have moved in and the light isn’t as clear as earlier. So, just saying this is a nice alternative to my usual special stouts and porters and even barley wines. I’ll be back.

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

a beautiful sipper of a brown ale

Really Old Brown Dog Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company