Really Old Brown Dog Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Old Ale

Olive, iconic mascot & spirit guide of our brewery, first appeared on our Old Brown Dog label in 1994 & returned, thirteen years later, to pose for our Really Old Brown Dog, a luscious, malt-rich, full bodied “old ale” featuring deep notes of complex fruit. Much like our beloved Olive, this beer will mellow & age gracefully.

Formerly part of the Big Beer Series.

2007 - 7.0%

Added by cbl2 on 03-03-2007

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

2.52/5  rDev -35.5%

At first sip I thought this would be a nice brown ale , but, it has some strange taste that I cannot describe,it is a bitter taste that hangs with you after each mouthful. Kinda like biting into a rotten nut , yuck! I had high hopes upon first sip but actually dumped the rest of my pint and the remaining bottle contents down the drain. I have only dumped a few beers down the drain in my life and this is one of them.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

This one pours a rich dark caramel color that turns ruby tinted when the light passes through. There is a light brown head that settles a bit, but never goes away completely.

The aroma is of caramel and dark fruits like raisins and prunes. It's a very pleasing smell. The flavor mimics the smell somewhat starting with the burnt caramel and some dried dark fruits. There is a moderately unpleasant flavor that shows up on the back of the tongue for a moment. It's like a hospital-ly sterile flavor (sorry about this description - probably a yeast off flavor). But that gets overpowered by the malty sweetness and a touch of bitter hops to finish nicely. The strength is masked nicely with the sweetness with no real booziness to detect. The mouthfeel is nice. It's rich and creamy with just a bit of carbonation to lighten out.

Overall, this is a pretty good beer. I wish that "off flavor" wasn't there as it would make this a really great beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured a cloudy dark brown with one finger head that stuck around and a strong malt smell - hit me immediately - as I got chocolate, toffee, caramel, a touch of roasted or coffee malts, and something akin to molasses or syrup and there is that "dark fruit" aroma (figs, black cherries, not sure). Thick, full-bodied, slightly chewey and heavy, this is not a beer if you like 'em light or not sweet. The sweet malts overpowered everything but since I have a sweet tooth the balance was just right for me. Caramel, toffee, chocolate sweetness and a bit of sticky syrupiness or molasses as well, but there is a touch fruit sweetness (I swear I picked up cherry). The alcohol is low key but does contribute to a dryer finish. Very slow sipper for me and one that I really enjoyed.

Really Old Brown Dog Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company