Smuttynose Star Island Single | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Our Star Island Single is an eminently sessionable, Belgian-style pale ale offering a beguiling mix of flavor and refreshment. This medium-bodied golden ale features a slight residual sweetness from Honey Malt and hints of citrus and tropical fruits from the unique Belgian yeast it is fermented with, leaving a crisp dry finish. Enjoy it sociably while you savor good times, tall tales, friendly company & life’s unexpected pleasures.

17.2 IBU

Added by JoeyBeerBelly on 06-09-2008

2.57/5  rDev -25.7%

Light off-white head that leaves no lace The color is yellow-orange and very cloudy. There's even some yeast clumps floating. I kinda like that.

The smell is not what I was expecting. My first impression is dirty laundry, closer to an older wet diaper. No Belgian yeast, no spice. The malt is barely noteworthy. No hop.

The flavor is a huge improvement (it had to be). I do detect some orange rind and clove. Mostly malty on the tongue. The finish is lightly sour and short lived. The body is respectable.

2.59/5  rDev -25.1%

This is a Belgian pale ale...d'oh. Total miss guys.

Beer is light amber and hazy with nearly no head, low carbonation, no real lacing, eh.

Aroma is mildly sweet and really grainy, not making me excited to dive in I'll tell you that much.

Beer is sweet and mildly lemony, I'm annoyed at how simple and not pleasing this beer is. Am I striking out tonight? It is thin, has some grainy aftertaste. Not a repeat, for sure.

2.6/5  rDev -24.9%

This beer pours out super pale yellow, with a little white head on top the fizzles away into basically nothing. The smell is a little training but that's about all, no really good hop aroma at all. The flavor is rather mild, just a hand full of malts in the taste. Nothing a lot of complexity or anything else happening here. The mouthfeel was pretty light also. This is a decent summer brew to say the least.

2.63/5  rDev -24%

Pours a cleann deep yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, quite pilsner like with a small note of candy sugar. In the taste, a pils like bite, a small presence of yeast and a touch of fruit. A small pils bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a lightly dry and a small yeast presence in the aftertaste. More a pils with Belgian ale notes.

2.65/5  rDev -23.4%

Brass-colored with vibrant bubbles. Aromas of grain, sea air and, in the background, fruit. Light bodied with assertive fizz.

A pilsner-like malty snap kicks things off flavorwise, becoming more cereally on the midpalate. At the end, subtle spices swirl around a slight bitterness.

If your beer tastes tend towards tyranno-ales, this is a "lite" option to have on hand. Curiously for this style, I didn't enjoy it much. I need man beer!!

2.68/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a fairly hazy amber with one finger white head that settles quickly leaving a few chunks of lace along the way. Smell: not much - a little pale malt, some sweet spices and a fleeting toasty note. Taste: more of the same, a light apricot like fruitiness, mildly sweet and just a little tart. Really thin with a sweet, drying finish. I know this is supposed to be an easy drinking spring/summer beer, but a very weak effort from Smutty.

2.69/5  rDev -22.3%

I had this on tap at the Portsmouth brewery. It was served in a pint glass a finger worth of white head that went to a thin lace the body was a pale yellow.

Aromas of light yeast and grain came from the glass. The flavor was like a blond ale with some spice thrown it. It was light and watery in the mouthfeel department.

As you can tell I am not digging this brew. This is a pour example of a Belgian pale or an abbey style single at that. I heard someone at the bar said it reminded them of a light beer. I am really sorry I wanted to like it but I couldn't, average at best. I may be spoiled because I have had the tops in this style. This one comes way short of the mark in aroma, where is the Belgian yeast? As for the flavor, where is the typical spice and carbonation for my tongue? I know some people may think I am hard on it because it replaced the Larger but really I'm not. Smutty you can do better
Oh ya it drinks like a lite beer so I guess its drinkable

Edit I saw this poured into a tulip glass today with a rough pour and it looked better so i upped the score

2.74/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: pours a clear light gold into a Duvel tulip with an extremely bubbly that thins out to nothing.

S: coriander, a healthy dose of caramel and wheat, some orange and light lemon.

T: spicy and sweetness from the malt mingle well. Orange and lemon zest linger on the tongue.

MF: medium to heavy body, light carbonation and a tad dry.

O: not a great BPA, not that great of a beer.

Smuttynose Star Island Single from Smuttynose Brewing Company