Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Rye Beer

Brewed exclusively for Julio's Liquors. This is an Imperial Red Rye Ale, aged in bourbon barrels hand-selected by Julio's Loch & Key Society.

Added by Bierman9 on 05-17-2010

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a murky mahogany-brown with two fingers of beige head that recedes into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: lots of vanilla, caramel and toffee aromas. Bourbon aromas are also present, but blend well with the other aromas without too many boozy notes.

T: similar to the aroma, tons of caramel, vanilla, and toffee. Smooth, oaky bourbon brings up the finish, but with surprisingly little alcohol presence.

M: medium-thick body with lowish carbonation, this beer is creamy, but still has a nice bite.

O: a very good beer. Reminds me a lot of a bbal Scotch ale, moreso than a rye ale. Still, super tasty and smooth.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

In line at founders for CBS

A-murky auburn color with white head

S-very sweet and invitihg. Can't wait for the taste!!

T-sweetness of thye bourbon melds well with the rye body

M-medium body and smooth

O-very good beer. Glad to have got to try it...

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to the awesome person that sent me this. I've been sitting on this bottle for a few months with the intention of sharing it, but it seems that the time is right and I'll keep it all to myself.

Pours garnet with a concentrations of bubbles in the middle of the glass. Pretty color, but not much else going on visually.

The nose is full of goodies here! Bourbon (and its usual contingent parts of vanilla and oak) leads the way followed by spices and a kiss of sweet.

Again, bourbon up front with vanilla and oak. Some sweet citrus (tangerines and oranges, tangelos specifically) and spice also play with rock candy, figs, and a hint of Granny Smith apples. Oh, my what a beer.

The mouthfeel is full and chewy. It fits nicely with the beer.

Overall, this is a very good brew. I wish I could have shared it, but I'm glad I get to enjoy it regardless.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I forget who sent me this beer, but I have to say, thanks! Amazing nonetheless!

Murky, mysterious body. Light brown, leather in color with a khaki head. Looks amazing. Lacing is rather scarce and with a hard pour into my Unibroue flute/tulip, I get a good 2 inches of solid head. Like I said, looks phenominal.

Oh sweert mercy, I found my bourbon angel. The nose, though laced with all the pleasantries of bourbon aging (molasses, caramel, vanilla, dark fruits) it is the mere fact that is done so mildly. No up in your face bourbon notes. I have to say that the rye nature to the beer is rather lacking, yet there remains beneath a spicy base that yearns to break through. So, damn, inviting.

Caramel front, mid body loaded with dark fruits and vanilla, and a burning, bourbon finish. Spicy notes linger in the throat (the rye?). Again, well bourbon-ized. No cloying sweetness, no overdrawn heat. This is a beer where you can taste the bourbon, and the beer. Very well done.

Sticky, oily, viscous body. Lingering flavors mean business. A slow sipper and a great beer to share. Amazing. I am sad I only have one. I am cookoo for this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from bomber into mini snifter. Thanks cheesemoose! Cloudy, worn leathery color. Aroma is of sweet caramel malt, dates and prunes. Smooth, very smooth taste and mouthfeel. Nice sweetness, nice aged taste, interesting port flavor, slight vanilla, malty sweet taste, with some molasses. Great beer, wish it was more widely available.

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Received this in a trade some time ago from jmu500. Was holding on to it for a special occasion, and tonight was that occasion. Thanks so much jmu500; you humble me with your amazing selection for trades, as always!

Appearance - Ry(e)an Ale pours with a huge head and a color just slightly lighter than the color of mahogany wood. The brown and red tinges make an appealing, even pretty brew.

Smell - I love the scent on this one. It starts generally acidic, but open up into a nose dry herbs and grasses. Beneath that,t here's a sweet, maple core with subtle, but present boozy notes.

Taste -- The taste opens with a blase of burnt sugar and maple. It's the perfect level of sweet without ever encroaching on the cloying territory. A deep mexican vanilla note then comes in, paired with the taste of bourbon. Wow, I knew this would be good, but it's *exceptional*.

Mouthfeel -- Ry(e)an Ale is oily and heavy in the mouth and leaves a strong coat. The carbonation is stronger -- stronger than I would have thought I would want for a beer of this kind -- but now that I am exposed to it I can't imagine it being good with less.

This is, clearly, an amazing beer and one I'm glad I had the sense to save for celebration instead of opening randomly. I'll be savoring the rest of the bottle, and missing it when it's gone. Great brew!!!

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to jlindros for this generous extra.

A - great 3 finger mocha colored head with outstanding retention.

S - tons of barrel aging. Very dark fruits, vanilla, and rich malts. Rye noticed on the backend. A strange addition of cocoa as well. Bourbon is noticed but is not overwhelming by any means.

T - oak and rye. The bourbon isn't apparent as I thought it would be but as the temperature warms it comes out more. A delicious backend kick of sweet dark fruits present themselves on the finish and hang around forever.

M - velvety and creamy smooth with very nice, prickly carbonation.

O - very well made barrel aged beer, definitely worth trying.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

(22oz bomber acquired in a trade). Pours a hazy dark ruby/mahogany colorw ith thin tan head. Some nice, active carbonation. Aroma has some whiskey, green apple, ripe fruits, and some bourbon. Damn! This is a really tasty beer! Taste is sweet from the malts and the barrels. Again, the green apple and fruits and very visible which I didn’t think would be the case. Of course, there is the mix of rye whiskey and bourbon, but I think they work well together. The beer is fairly thin-bodied but the flavors have come together in a great way. This far surpassed my expectations.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

6/24/2011

Thanks again, Jason. Brewed exclusively for Julio's Liquors

A: Light reddish brown with a beige head

S: A nice blend of caramel, bourbon, and rye. The spirit character is great. Faint oak and a little apple. Vanilla peeks out as the beer warms.

T: Caramel, oak, bourbon, and rye. All elements are balanced. The flavor is smooth and mellow, with no harsh notes. Finishes exhibits caramel, apple, and a mellow alcohol presence.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is smooth, sticky, and creamy.

Overall: A nice beer. Best beer I've had from this brewery, actually.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

All I can really say about this beer is that it reminds me of sweet tea with a spicy wood kick. It makes me think I'm sittin' on a fornt porch somewhere in the south dressed like Colonel Sanders eating some fried chicken. Yeah, it's that good.

This aged a lot better then I thought it would, could go for a lot longer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A. Pours a beautiful amber with a creamy off white head.

S. Bourbon wonderfullness with caramel and brown sugar.

T. Caramel, toffee, bourbon, brown sugar, a touch of vanilla, and some fruitiness from the rye.

M. Medium creamy mouthfeel.

D. Great. Another thanks to Urbancaver.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful maroon brown... A very wonderful reddish tint. There is a light but solid white head. Very pretty. Smells heavy on the vanilla. Lot of rye spice as well. Tastes very dry and spicy. Tons of vanilla. Vry very tasty. The spice profile is really very tasty. A nice thick syrupy mouthfeel. The driness is a bit off-putting put overall incredibly tasty!

Bottle. This one has been in my fridge for far too long, waiting to be drank. Poured into a snifter glass a dark copper clear color with a nice tan head. To me, the barrel is noticeable in the nose but not extreme by any means. I get more caramel and vanilla notes that the bourbon. Medium/heavy mouthfeel. The sweetness upfront is what grabs my attention first upon my first taste. Caramel followed by a warming alcohol and barrel notes. Some vanilla in the back end. Candy like.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

Drank from a 1 pint 6 fl ozs. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Served in a pint glass

Cloudy, crimson-hued mahogany in appearance. A small, bubbly, saddle brown cap of froth topped the liquid. No lacing to speak of.

The nose was simply astounding. Robust caramel malts, brown sugar and sweet bourbon notes dominated. Vanilla came through super strong. Some maple and honey too. Dark fruits appeared as well. Strangely, there was a noticeable Belgian-like component. As the beer warmed, the vanilla notes became even more apparent.

The flavor profile was also quite impressive. Lots of toffee and dark fruit flavors. Some brown sugar. Rich caramel malts served as a nice backbone. Slightly sour. Nutty in the center. Again, there was a fruity, phenolic Belgian yeast component. Bourbon notes appeared in the finish, but the booziness was kept to a minimum. If I were to nitpick, I might point out the fact that the rye was undetectable. Seeing as I am not a fan of rye beers however, I was able to overlook this shortcoming.

The mouthfeel was amazingly creamy and smooth with a fine, zippy effervescence. Medium bodied. Frothy with just enough heft to keep the beer weighted to my palate.

Ry(e)an Ale simply blew me away. Beers this flavorful (and barrel-aged beers in general) usually clock in at around 9% ABV or more. It was nice to see a beer this modest in alcohol pack this much complexity. I really hope this will be brewed again someday.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to FluffyMcTingle for grabbing me this brew.

Poured into a stange-style glass with a huge orange-hinted head and a bold, cloudy nut brown body. Head just stays and laces.
Smell is a bit of black grapes and toffee. There is also some dried prunes with a touch of tannic, oaky red wine.
This tastes great. The malts and body give it just the right amount of sweetness from brown sugar, bourbon, and molasses then blends it with raisin bread toast and creme brulee. Fantastic.
Despite its look, it is a medium bodied beer with smooth malts and a bit of dryness from the rye oats.
Should be a bit of a sipper with its bite of honeyed bourbon at the end, but its mild balance of sweet to sour works quite nicely.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to my buddy JT from NH for gifting me a bottle of this during a recent swap of NE and PA beers.

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into my Portsmouth Brewery tulip glass.

Pours a chestnut brown with a thick khaki head.

Smell is fantastic. Bourbon, spicy rye, vanilla. Very complex aroma. The sweetness of the bourbon/vanilla compliments the spiciness of the rye.

Taste is dominated by the sweetness of the bourbon, but it's well balanced by the rye. I often worry that bourbon aged beers will come out cloying but this isn't the case with Ry(e)an Ale.

Mouthfeel was thick, viscous and sticky. The beer really coats your mouth with each sip.

Overall, an outside of the box and complex brew. A nice sipper.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a nice dark reddish brown. Constant streams of carbonation rising from the bottom ending in a off white 1 finger foamy head. Head clung very well and lasted a long time. Aroma was slightly spicey sweet. A bit of sugary pepper. Flavor was complex and changing. At times it was bitter, other times it was sour, and some times it was sweet. Sweet brown bread with a bit of pepper was noticed. Wasn't so hot in the mouth. Seemed overly carbonated, and perhaps a bit to sticky in the mouth. Overall it was a well balanced nuanced beer.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

22oz bottle into snifter. Huge thanks to SneezyAchew who gave me this extra a while back.

A: Pours a dark maroon with a soft off white head that faded into a fuzzy film that left rings of fine lacing down the glass.
S: Notes of vanilla, caramel, bourbon, spicy rye, and a hint of apples, grapes and other fruit.
T: Follows the nose with all the fruity, spicy, sweet and alcoholic flavors blending exceptionally well. Flavors of sweet fruits, warm bourbon and spicy rye and hops are so integrated and creamy that it's hard to describe how surprised I am at how much I love this beer.
M: Soft and creamy with a full body, heavy and slightly oily mouthfeel and soft carbonation.
O: Amazing flavor. Maybe I just haven't had another beer like this, and I came into this beer not expecting much, but I am really enjoying the complexities of the flavor. If you're a fan of rye or bourbon (or barleywines) definitely check this one out!

3.12/5  rDev -24.8%

Date: 02/17/2011
Type: 22oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Poured a light brown mahoghany w/ a 2 finger tan head that left medium lacing. Aromas of caramel, toffee, bourbon, oak, bradiness, and spices. The appearance and nose were definately the best aspects of this brew. Taste was the same as the nose w/ an extremely heavy bourbon booze character. Mouthfeel? I could not really determine that because I was so overwhelmed by the bourbon. As far as drinkability, I would say this is not very drinkable at all, dut to being a disjointed boozy mess.

Highly disappointed by this brew! It pains me to say that as I believe this is the first beer I have ever had from Smuttynose that I disliked. Will not be revisiting this one.

Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company