Smuttynose Robust Porter | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: American Porter

This hearty, mahogany colored ale is brewed to evoke the dark, full-bodied ales that were a favorite of dockworkers and warehousemen (hence the name “Porter”) in 19th century London. It is a good bet that when Dickens’ Mr. Pickwick sat down for a pint, we would have been drinking an ale much like our Robust Porter.This is a smooth and very drinkable beer, characterized by its well-balanced malt and hops, plus subtle notes of coffee and chocolate.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2000

Ratings: 2,722 |  Reviews: 1,089

12oz bottle into nonic.

A thick two finger brown head slowly settles to a thin bubbly rim. The head has large bubbles in it. After the head finishes deflating, it leaves behind a solid webbed ring of lacing.

The aroma is loaded with roasted malts and coffee. A little bit of chocolate is in there as well. A light creaminess rolls in at the middle.

Gobs of bitter roasty malts are in the flavor, contributing to most of the bitterness in the beer. The hops are minimal, maybe adding a little bit of grassy flavor to the background. There is a bit of molasses here and there, and becomes more present as the beer warms. Full bodied with good carbonation. The malts linger for a while after each sip.

This one is all-malt and loads of it. I guess you can say the name describes this beer perfectly. It even has a bit of complexity with some coffee and chocolate notes. One of my favorite porters ever. Highly recommended.

Edit: After trying many porters, and many other beers, I can say that this is my all-time favorite. I wish a "5.5" was reserved for a one-time use for each BA. This beer would receive it from me.

I am on vacation in Vermont and I went into restaurant for dinner. Ordered a Smuttynose off tap and expected the regular Smuttynose I am used to off tap in my local New York watering hole. At first I had thought the waitress poured me the wrong drink but upon further enquiry I was delighted to be introduced to this fabulous Robust Porter. Simply amazing. The taste and smell is very comforting. I would love to drink this beer in the winter when I come back to Vermont to ski. I hope they keep it on tap.

the platonic ideal of the type. in my considered opinion, this is the epitome of the style. when i want a porter, this is what i want.

Smuttynose Robust Porter from Smuttynose Brewing Company