Smuttynose Woodward Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Awaiting More Ratings

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Brewed for Woodward Restaurant Boston, MA.

Added by Bendurgin on 12-08-2010

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

My wife and I stopped at the Ames Hotel to have a drink last night at the Woodward Tavern. Smuttynose makes their house beer, and I have been meaning to try it. They sell it by the glass for $6 or by the grower for a table. Served in a small stemmed glass. Pale yellow body, with a thin soapy head. Nice aroma of piney hops. Flavor had a surprising amount of hops to it. Had a nice malt and sugar profile too, making me think it might be a Belgian Pale Ale instead. Mouthfeel was smooth and crisp. It's a nice beer to have on tap, but it's too bad the Woodward has more of a cocktail crowd.

4.16/5  rDev +9.2%

My friend set me up with this bottle from the brewery. Apparently it is a beer Smutty brews specifically for the Ames hotel in Boston. So how did I get a bottle? Anyhow, thanks a ton Jason for the hook up! Standard pour into a pint glass. Lots of visible carbonation alive in a clear pale golden colored beer with just a thin layer of foam rather than anything I could call head. It fizzes away in no time leaving thin lacing. Kind of a passion fruit type aroma to this with a nice piney hop bittering towards the finish. I'm really digging it actually. Really a bitter dry hoppy pale ale here. Bitter trough and through with a bit of a lemony flavor. The juicy fruit aroma is really lost from the aroma to the taste but pretty solid anyhow. The mouthfeel is nice, the body is light and this is certainly drinkable. Really wouldn't mind more of this solid Smutty offering.

Smuttynose Woodward Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company