Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale - Chamomile | Smuttynose Brewing Company

smuttynose.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by JizackFH on 08-05-2011

4/5  rDev 0%

Had at Bierkraft in Brooklyn, NY earlier today. It is a cask of Smuttynose Farmhouse ale with chamomile in the cask.

Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a nice slightly hazy golden straw color. it has a small white loose soapy head on it. The head dissipates quite quickly and leaves no lacing behind.

S - The first smell of this reminds me of apple pie. There is also a nice bit of barnyard hay to it, as well as some spice notes such as cinnamon. Some hop floral hop presence is here, and so is a bit of earthiness. The alcohol is hidden very well here, I would never have know this beer was just above 9% ABV had I not seen it on here.

T - The taste has a nice bready malt taste to it right off the bat. There are some nice floral some-what herbal flavors, that I am guessing are due to the chamomile in the cask. There is a nice bit of hay and some barnyard funkiness. There is a good hop presence here as well. The finish is sort of dry and there is some lingering hop bitterness.

M - this has a medium body and lower carbonation. It goes down easy and has a nice smooth feel to it. There is a tingling sensation from the spices and a nice mild hop bitterness. I walked a quite a few blocks on a hot day to get this, and I must say it was very refreshing and definitely hit the spot.

O - This has very good drinkability. It goes down easy and has a really nice flavor. This has a nice spice and hop presence and has a nice refreshing quality to it. I really liked this beer, i just wish that I had been able to try the regular farmhouse ale so I could compare the two. Anyways, I really enjoyed this beer, and I think think it is really interesting. I recommend trying it if you see it.

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale - Chamomile from Smuttynose Brewing Company