Smuttynose Durty Mud Season Hoppy Brown Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Durty Mud Season Hoppy Brown AleSmuttynose Durty Mud Season Hoppy Brown Ale

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Availability: Spring

Added by Maxwell on 12-21-2012

Reviews: 153 | Ratings: 917
2.46/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Had this almost dirt like flavor. I've had many hopped up Browns before and this is easily one of the worst I've had. I love hops but had almost no characteristic of a brown ale.

3.03/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I've never smelled a beer that smelled "dead on" like Tide laundry detergent. No kidding. If I was blind folded and asked to identify which was the beer and which was the laundry detergent by smell, it would be a toss up.

Smuttynose makes some of my favorite beers, this just isn't one of them. Probably some of you out there will enjoy this. Just my opinion.

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a semi-opaque dark brown with ruby highlights. One finger head of khaki colored soapy bubbles.

S - Powerful aroma of caramel malts and piney hops. Hints of earth and old sweatsocks as well.

T - Strong hop presence; pine, dirt, tea leaf, tobacco, pistachio, caramel. Slight lactic acid sour tinge and citrus tang somewhat off-putting. Flavors don't blend well or have layers of depth; everything sort of smacks you in the face at once.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very grainy and sharp. ABV comes through and smacks the tongue.

O - I wanted to like it, but just too many "off" characteristics to be good. A misfire.

3.09/5  rDev -21.6%

Nose faint roast, caramel, & floral, pine,ABV. Taste malt, pine, light caramel, herbal, & pepper, strong bitter finish. More of a Black IPA than a Brown ale!

3.11/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz. bottle, bottled on date has smeared and chipped away, as with the printed abv. A new one to me from Smuttynose, acquired a single bottle as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's. "Mud Season Hoppy Brown Ale"

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - Pours a deep dark ruddy caramel body, nearly opaque in the glass. Thick & murky appearance. Less than a finger of frothy off-white / ecru head that leaves okay spotty lacing. Looks good, all things considered.

S - A woodsy, musty aroma. Dry earthy grassy hops, caramel malts, notes of roast / burnt / char. Strange and musty, and not entirely characteristic of a good hoppy brown ale. Notes of barrel, must, band-aid, and alcohol fumes come through. Not awful, but not great.

T - Taste follows the nose: a harsh roasty bitterness / burnt flavor, brought on by the malts here. Notes of caramel, chocolate, & tea leaves. The hops are dry, earthy, & piney, but noticeable overpowered by the burnt flavors of the malts. Burnt aftertaste. A sort of dark fruit sweetness begins to creep forth as the beer warms.

M - Feel is smooth & fluid. Bitter & burnt finish.

Overall, not awful, but definitely not good. Works for me as a warming beer on a cold winter night. Not something I would seek out or try again.

Smuttynose Durty Mud Season Hoppy Brown Ale -----3/5.

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Deep brown with 2 fingers of tan head with good retention. Some yeast sediment floats around the glass.

Nose
Charcoal, caramel, and grapefruit.

Taste
Charcoal, scorched baker's chocolate, and caramel. Tons of grapefruit from the hops.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, crisp, bitter, and dry.

Overall
I really wasn't digging this one. The malt bill is too roasted and scorched. Bitter grapefruit is all that jumps out for the hops. However, the alcohol is very well hidden.

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Draft at The Pour House in Westmont, NJ.

Pours a very cloudy and very dark brown color that's almost black with a 2.5 finger frothy beige head.  Great retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap.  Chunks of soapy lacing left behind.

Surprisingly hop forward aoma with grassy resins and hop oils.  Floral with pine needle, grass and spruce tips.  This aggressive hop presence overpowers the brown ale notes a bit too much but there is some caramel malt sweetness along with hints of chocolate and subtle roast underneath.

On the lighter end of medium bodied and tastes very similar to the aroma.  Very hop forward with resinous hop bitterness dominating the flavor.  Dry and floral with grassy hop and sticky pine needle flavor lingering over a slightly roasted malt backbone into a dry finish.  Hop profile is kind of one dimensional and the malts are impossible to pick up until it warms up considerably.  After a while there is subtle toffee, caramel and chocolate malt sweetness along with burnt toast and coffee bean.

3.26/5  rDev -17.3%

Dark brown with a new motor oil colored brown gold highlights. Beige head.

Smells woody and nutty. Not a lot of hops in the nose, some leafy orange if I look for it. Smells like a fine brown though.

Nutty chocolate up front. Huge, lasting menthol then woody bitter in back which I don’t like. Orange IPA hops in the middle. This is a mess, if Smuttynose intended to make a muddy beer than they succeeded. I usually love everything Smuttynose. Perhaps this is the start of Not Mott?

More like an Arrogant Bastard type ASA than a typical American brown or even a brown IPA. Not what I had in mind when I was shopping for a sessionable sunny Saturday grilling' & chillin' beer. Wish they had put the abc on the packaging somewhere (I don't see it on either the bottles or packaging, sorry if I missed it). I ended up dumping these in the communal cooler for more sturdier drinkers than myself.

3.27/5  rDev -17%

I had scored this over at The Fridge at he beginning of Mud Season here in Lancaster County, PA and set it aside, awaiting the right moment. I just finished reviewing a bottle of Brooklyn Brown Ale, so this must be the right time. No time like the present, right? The label seems to indicate that in New Hampshire, Mud Season involves vintage muscle cars, but for us, it is the Amish and Mennonites going to Mud Sales (auctions). Come for a visit!

My pour quickly resulted in just under two fingers of dense, light-brown head with decent retention. Nice, sticky lacing appeared fairly quickly as it fell. Color was a deep-brown with cola highlights (SRM = > 22, < 27) and NE-quality clarity. Nose had a prevalent malt sweetness, despite the label calling it a "hoppy brown ale". I got notes of milk chocolate, light smoke, and some mild grassiness. Mouthfeel was rather full and creamy. The taste was much more bitter than the nose had led me to expect. It had an over-kilned roastiness to it that seemed to bring its bitterness to the forefront. I do not know how I feel about this as I like my coffee hot, black and bitter, like some of my women. In my beer, though, I feel like there is such a thing as too much bitterness and this was pressing that limit. Finish continued to have an unbalanced, burnt, bitterness that was just more than I could get behind. Frankly, it reminded me a LOT of Black/Cascadian IPA and I do not like them for the same, burnt, smoky reason. Hmm. What shall I review next? ...

3.27/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I bought a single bottle of this because A) I like most Smuttynose beers B) I love brown ales and C) it has dirt bike racing on the label. Unfortunately, it was downhill after I cracked open the bottle.

A - dark brown with a bit of orange when held to the light. Frothy tan head.

S - Pine and roasted malt but not very strong.

T - My first taste was something bitter and burnt. As the beer warmed, I only tasted pine hops that made me pucker followed by the bitter roast of coffee. I didn't get much caramel or chocolate like others have noted. Not pleasant.

M - medium body and moderately carbonated with a bit of resin to the mouthfeel.

Probably my least favorite Smuttynose to date. I just could not get past the burnt and overwhelmingly piney flavor.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Brown and opaque, thin frothy head of light brown foam recedes to a small cap. Low aroma of toasty malt and citrus hops.

Flavors of roasted malt, followed by restrained pine and tangerine. Roast bitters linger, with more strength than the hops.

Even mouthfeel, moderate fullness.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass
This is not my favorite Smuttynose offering. I was impressed with the "durty" brown murky color but I thought the flavor was overpowering.

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I now know why this is called "Durty"...murky brown with lots of suspended sediment. Nice, thick, frothy yellowish head though, making it a lot more attractive. Roasted, dry aromas of brown malts, earthy/peppery notes, dark pine resin, and faint grapefruit. Flavor is a blend of hops and malt, as expected. The malts trend towards dark-roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, spicy pine, nuts, floral hops, and some grapefruit. Fairly aggressive all around, not as polished as say Sublimely Self Righteous - rough around the edges I suppose. Medium bodied, dry, a little creamy, and oily in the finish. Meh I don't know...sort of disjointed and harsh for my tastes.

3.44/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured aggressively into a 4 oz sample pilsner shaped glass. Rewarded with 6 seconds of cascading followed by a nice finger of light tan head. Not much of a nose on this one. Tasted of a nice round brown with chocolate and malt, followed by an immediate and intervening bitterness that drove away the roundness without adding much in the way of hop flavor. The alcohol taste wasn't really noticeable to me. Left on the tongue was an interesting sensation of being in two places at the same time.

When I reach the the bottom of the bottle, the word is chunky. Lots of goodies floating around in there, but it didn't change the flavor as far as I could tell.

Not a session beer. I give it a 3.75 on taste, not because it fit the style so much, but because it is interesting, and I appreciate that. This one is good to enjoy just one of, then switch to something different, perhaps friendlier. This case will last a while, but at over 8% and with the hop flavor such as it is, that'll probably be okay.

3.49/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Released today (may 2-2014) in Sweden and opened right away!
Clear, dark brown color with a beige, creamy, two finger head that leaves lacing on the glass.

Nose: Grass, chocolate, roasted malt and dark bread.

Taste: Hoppy taste! Grass, roasted malt, nuts, raisin, caramel, pine and grapefruit.

Medium body and soft carbonation.

I really want a large steak to this! I can imagine that would be just right.

Nice, creamy, enjoyable beer!

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown with a whole lot of floaty specs suspended throughout. Smell is sweet, flowery citrus candy hops, caramel malty bottom, some unexpected vanilla. Interesting piney licorice with a little bit of smoke. Flavor is increasingly interesting as well. Very piney, chocolatey, bitter....a bit disjointed overall. Not sure how I feel about this beer. I don't hate it but want to like it more. Mouthfeel is very nice. Full creamy body.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a burnt bronze color with a bountiful head of heterogeneous khaki froth. The aroma is a poignant blend of bittersweet chocolate and grapefruit.

Citric and piney hops present up front, followed by a nutty, chocolate malt sweetness. Notes of toasted bread bridge the gap between bitter and sweet. Perky carbonation and medium body create a vigorous, mildly creamy mouthfeel that accentuates the hops. It may even be a little too intense for my tastes.

While not especially complex, this remains a lively, flavorful brown ale with a little something for everyone. Another intriguing dark offering from Smuttynose.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%

Cloudy copper, fine mousse, tight covering lace.
Full body, intense and dense flavor, hot mouthfeel, lingering palate with delicious finish.
Moderately high bittersweet, perfect acidity.
Roasty, malty, yeasty and hoppy.
Delicious, grows on you.

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tried at bottle share at today's Swamp Head release. Pours murky brownish orange with no head. Aroma of caramel, burnt toffee, bitter pine hops. Flavor follows similarly with notes of caramel and toffee, burnt sugar, earthy hops, with bitterness on the finish. More hoppy American barleywine than brown ale really. Mouthfeel is medium with low carbonation. Overall a decent brew but maybe a bit harsh.

3.64/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Very dark for a brown ale, almost black.

Smells like a typical brown. For saying that it has a large amount of Hops in the label. I am not tasting any hops.

tastes like a typical brown, nothing special at all. Leaves a little bit of a bitter awful taste on my tongue that does not dissipate.

The head is off white, and stays throughout the entire glass as a slight film.

Overall this is a pretty decent brown, but I was really hoping for some hops that was advertised on the label. Would like to try it on draft, but I will not seek this out in bottles again.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

- Mud season hoppy brown ale in a shaker pint.

A: Coffee brown pour appears a burgundy when back-lighted. Soft peanut shell toned head is thin, whispy, with a short attention passing to a washy covering. Weak lacing.

S: Sweetened grapefruit, and sweet chocolate roast. Hint of fruity apple and sweet apricot lie beneath.

T: Darken hearty roast backing, earthy bitterness with a background of fruitiness. Lightly burnt wheat and barley, dry citrus, chalky finish.

M: Good carbonation, light chalkiness with a medium full maltiness,.

O: Bold flavor, dry, lightly chalky with a dry woodys citrus hopping.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Really hoppy. Dank, soap like hops. Too hoppy in fact for my taste. Lacks the classic smooth dark qualities of a well crafted brown ale. Still good for what it is.

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brown color with off-white head. Caramel malt, some pine, and roast on the nose; follows onto the palate. Medium bodied. Finishes with malt and hop notes, a little brown sugar sweetness too.

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Best by 06/18/14.

A- Deep garnet/brown, not much light getting through. Big light brown head that stays around seems a bit too carbonated.

S- Molasses a bit of cinnamon and some floral notes. Slight citrus.

T- Mostly bitter floral with some medium roast. A real lasting bitterness on the tongue that i don't think goes well with the style.

M- Nice medium-heavy but with a bit too much carbonation.

O- I don't really like the hop character in this one, I think it's a bit too much.

3.71/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

This is an example of a time where I had an expectation for a beer and I had to let it go and review it as it was. I expected this to be like a more piney Old Brown Dog, but I got...I'm not sure what. Very dark brown with a reddish tint, thin and bubbly head like soda, hardly any lacing to speak of. Smells like deeply roasted malt, burnt toast, and just generally musty and earthy. Taste is strange to me. Burnt and charred flavors are prominent with hints of chocolate, some hoppy bitterness mostly on the finish. No overt alcohol taste but a slight warming feel, I actually had no idea the ABV was this high until I was almost finished with it. Feel is excellent, very smooth and creamy, with lingering burnt/bitter flavors after the finish. Between the feel of the beer and the flavors, this could almost pass as a milk stout. Overall it isn't what I was hoping it would be, but it's still a solid beer and certainly not like anything I've had before.

Smuttynose Durty Mud Season Hoppy Brown Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company