Smuttynose Rhye IPA | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Rye Beer

Originally released as part of our Short Batch Series, our Rhye IPA arose from our desire to play with rye malt. It's built on a Finestkind IPA chassis, with the following changes:

• We tweaked the grain bill adding 30% rye malt and swapped Aromatic malt for C-60. Rye adds a spicy note while Aromatic malt adds a more subtle flavor than C-60 but increases malt aroma.

• We lowered the mash rest temperature a few degrees, giving the final beer less body and more drinkability.

• We jacked up the dry hopping to four times the level of Finest Kind for big hop aroma.

Added by Bierman9 on 08-31-2013

2.21/5  rDev -43.5%

Gold amber.

Smell is dank, with skunk and burnt rubber. Taste is largely the same. I've rarely experienced these attributes this potently in a beer.

Even with the pungent and astringent flavors combined with bitter pine, this been somehow remains partly fluffy on the palate.

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.58/5  rDev -34%

Very floral and sweet alcohol shines through even at the modest abv not that good but drinkable

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

This beer was a huge disappointment. It had very little hoppiness and not a lot going on at all really. This was my first beer from this brewery and thus one doesn't have me clamoring for more of their beers. This beer has pretty good reviews on this site. Maybe I got a bad bottle? Aroma was weak and flavor was the same. Very subtle for an IPA. Not how I like my IPA's at all.

2.9/5  rDev -25.8%

I prefer DIPA's to IPA's. Pours Hazy copper/amber. Citrus in the nose. Taste is ok for first 1/2 of the bottle, but as it warms near total dominance of lemon and maybe the rye malt. I really didn't care for this one, but IPA's are not one of my favorite styles.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Darker amber color with a thin off white head.

Smell: Light hops and Malts, hint of citrus.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Bitter hops with hints of Malts and pine notes.

Overall: OK IPA, not my first choice. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.

yummy yummy yep yep yep

3.04/5  rDev -22.3%

Reviewed 6/17/15
A: Light copper, 1/2 finger head dissipated quickly, a lot of carbonation rising
S: Apricot, tropical fruit
T: Mango, sweet, light hop, malty finish, a little citrus pith taste
M: Smooth, creamy finish
O: Not the best example of a rye, but it's ok

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%

Not a good beer in taste

3.09/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2013 bottle

Pours a sunset orange with a 2 finger head that dissipates somewhat quickly, leaving behind just a hint of lacing. Smell is somewhat subdued, with notes of pine resin, a bit of rye spice, and a hint of citrus.

Taste is mediocre. Straightforward mix of hops and malt, with just a ever so light touch of rye on the finish. I was expecting quite a bit more rye, but it was very very faint. Mouthfeel was odd, seemingly thick at times and watery at others.

My conclusion is somewhat confused. It seems like a beer that just didn’t do anything well, almost tasting like an 6 month old IPA. Maybe it was, I don’t know, because the only dating was the notch under 2013, but I won’t visit this one again.

3.09/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a hazy, deep golden orange color with tangerine edges and a half finger off-white head that slowly settles into a thin, lasting ring. Decent retention with sporadic spots of soapy lacing left behind.

Sweet and earthy aroma with grassy hops, spicy rye and a strong malt character. Lots of caramel sweet along with some bread, toffee and roasted nut. Slight floral hop presence with a bit of resinous pine but the malt profile and rye take away from the hops in the nose.

On the fuller end of medium bodied with a crisp hop bite up front that lingers over the spice and sweet malt backbone into a slightly dry finish. The rye is very prominent with a nice spicy, zesty flavor that nicely compliments the dry, earthy bitterness of the hops. Hop profile is a bit one dimensional but still has nice flavor. The malt backbone is huge, much stronger than I prefer. Lots of caramel, biscuit and toffee. Good for balance and blends well with the rye but it takes away from the hop flavor a bit too much for my preference. Still, this beer is very dry and bitter with spicy, grassy hops and dank pine needle character. Overall a decent tasting beer but I don't think I would seek it out again.

3.11/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.27/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.36/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smuttynose Rhye IPA from Smuttynose Brewing Company