Fallen Apple | Furthermore Beer

Liked:
3.34/5
Alströms:

3.14/5  rDev -6%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a light/coppery yellow color with a light white head. Head dissolves quickly.

Not a terrible strong nose, but the apple scent certainly comes out. Very light and crisp.

A bit of an 'empty beer' as far as cream ale's go, but as a man who loves sour apples I enjoyed this beer. Nothing complex or groundbreaking about it, but a nice fall beer for those who like tart ales.

A crisp, dry beer that is well carbonated. Starts tart and finishes tart - apple lingers on the tongue through the finish.

A tasty little ale that I had higher hopes for. With that said, I would drink this again if it was served at a party but I don't think I would purchase for myself.

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

2.23/5  rDev -33.2%

I had high hopes for this six-pack. Cream Ale sounded pleasant although I have scarcely had one before and being huge fan of a good cider I figured this would be a homerun. The flavor was just off-putting for my taste, the apple/cider was overly sweet and completely unbalanced with the ale which left a strange aftertaste. I ended up giving 4 of the 6 bottles to friends to try and they had similar feelings, however, we agreed this would be a great ingredient for beer-bread.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a slight, white head. Soft aroma of apples., but a malty biscuit aroma behind that. Golden color. Starts off tart and bright like a cider, then it transitions quickly into a rich malt finish after the tartness peaks. There is a slight hop flavor in the switching in this one.

Not bad at all. I like the apple upfront, and the malt back.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Clear yellow amber in color. Forms a smallish-sized fizzy head that fizzes away nearly as quickly as it forms, leaving just a light ring around the edge and no lacing.

S: Aroma is pleasant, though light. Mostly a blend of light pale malts and green apples.

T: Taste is not as pleasant. Not bad, but not great either. Starts off with a lightly sweet, sour green apple quality. Then some mild grainy malts and even a bit of a sour corn flavor. This beer has a certain sourness to it, but it's not the acetic acid/wild ale/lactic quality; it's much more of the Adjunct Lager sourness, with some apple flavoring.

M: Light bodied. Medium carbonation. Mild tartness that lingers on the tongue. Virtually no bitterness.

O: I was looking for NG Apple Ale when I came across this one at a store in Madison. The sales person advised me this was the superior beer. I'm going to have to disagree. And while I'll readily admit I'm generally a critic of the Cream Ale style, I'll also say this beer isn't going to prove me wrong, either. Drinkable, but not that I'd want to.

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Cheers drinking mug. Served chilled...

A) Honey colored brew that even with an aggressive pour yielded just under a finger of soapy head. The head quickly dissipated to a collar. No lacing...

S) Light malt, grains, grass and granny smith apples.

T) Like a beer/hard cider combo. The apple component was similar to a Strongbow cider or Woodchuck Granny Smith. The finish is quite grassy/leafy, almost the flavor one might imagine they'd find chewing up twigs, or eating the entire apple core.

M) Medium to lighter medium body. This starts out with the pleasing smoothness one might expect from a good cream ale, but quickly drifts into an aftertaste that is zesty/prickly and lingering. This coats the palate, and decreases the quality of the mouthfeel experience.

O) I can appreciate what the brewer is going for here, but as far as apple beers are concerned, I guess I prefer the all in approach, like New Glarus's Apple Ale. This one has some nice cream ale qualities, but the apple cider incorporated into the process just doesn't work for me. I found it pretty interesting, but not as enjoyable as I was hoping for. Even so, it was worth a try. Cheers...

Fallen Apple from Furthermore Beer