Fatty Boombalatty | Furthermore Beer

Added by emerge077 on 04-15-2007

4.92/5  rDev +29.1%

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

4.74/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%

12 ouncer into a oversized tulip.
Pretty, lively yellow, nice carbonation/white head. Swell lacing that sticks around.
Smell's enticing, it makes me want to consume it.
Tastes fruity, + very slightly wheaty, the belgian yeasts are quite evident.
It's light but creamy, highly drinkable. I could easily drink it all night.

I would place it at the top of my best of summer seasonal list...

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a deep caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of fruits, yeast, spice. Taste is bursting with flavor. Lots of spice, some fruits, yeast, very flavorful. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a top notch beer worth seeking out.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

This is a very strange brew but I made peace with that and decided that I love it. Appearance is well, clearly unfiltered, color of banana runts. Smell is nice, like pineapple with a touch of hops. Taste really opens this one up. Lots of different citrus fruit esters. Some floral hops on the back and may be a hnt of beligan candy. Mouthfeel and drinkability are out of this world good. Drinks easy but very thick and unfiltered.

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

Thanks to Ktown67 for bringing me a 6-pack of this during an in person trade last weekend!!

Presentation: Poured from 12 oz bottle into my Duvel tulip.

A: A mildly aggressive pour yields a perfect 2 finger head which recedes slowly. This beer laces very nice on the glass. The color is a dark yellow with tones of orange and lots of bubbles creeping up the side of the glass. As I drink the bubbles stay on top of the beer. Beautiful.

S: Smells like leather up front, but then yields to sour fruits. There is also pepper in the nose, this one smells like it's going to be good!

T: Boy is it ever. There are really nice flavors of sour apple, sweet and sour pear, and white wine-style grapes but no alcoholic presence whatsoever. There is also a nice balance of pepperiness that I generally only find in the best Belgians. Sweet, spicy, and refreshing.

M: This beer was perfectly carbonated, nice and creamy to drink, and oily with an almost perfect weight to its body. Matched the style extremely well.

D: I can't believe how easy it was to put down 2 of these last night. I felt like I could have honestly drank the entire 6-pack and not gotten tired of it; a rarity for me.

Overall I feel like next to maybe one other American-made Belgian style this is the absolute best I've had. Seriously this beer is extremely complex, superbly balanced between sweet and spicy, the carbonation is perfect, drinkability is off the charts, and I'd say it is almost every bit as good as Duvel. I'm not afraid to go against convention when it is warranted, and for sure it is in this case. As soon as I'm done with the 6-pack I know I will want more.

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Got this one from the diva of beer himself, BeerTruth. Thank you fine sir.

Pours a very murky (the bottle did say unfiltered and didn't lie) golden amber color, with three fingers of foamy and creamy off-white head. Keeps a chunky, dense lace and leaves a pretty good amount of stick.

Smell is quite musty but also packs a good amount of fruit - apples and pears, in particular, but there is some citrus hoppiness going on here, as well. I'm liking what I'm smelling of this yeast strain - musty and fruity esters abound. There is a cracker like sweetness, as well. I like it.

Pretty much tastes like it smells. Yeast has a lot of character, musty mostly, but also fruity. There is a good amount of hop fruitiness, as well, and between the two there is apple, pear and citrus going on. I'm getting some peach and maybe even apricot, too. Nice amount of sweetness which is both cracker-like but also seems to have a bit of candi sugar. Hops are pretty much all flavor here as the bitterness is quite modest to say the least. Tasty stuff.

Mouthfeel is a very smooth, creamy medium body. Carbonation is maybe a bit on the low side actually, but that lends itself to a creamier, almost chewy mouthfeel. It works well.

I must say that this is a fantastic surprise. I like it a lot. Very drinkable, very tasty, just very good across the board. I don't know that this fits perfectly into any style guideline but it's really tasty. I actually was searching for reasons not to rate it so highly, but I could not find them. This is one I'd love to have in my fridge with regularity.

4.38/5  rDev +15%

A - Murky red with orange yellow depending on the light with a nice head when poured vigorously enough, but it dissipates quickly

S - Sweet caramel and bubble gum

T - Sweet, floral, light at first and yet heavy with a regular beer aftertaste

M - Only slightly better than Bud Light(my fav mass beer)

D - All the time brew. Really love it as it feels light like a $15 a case beer, but gets you messed and tastes like a crafty goodie....Snack Snack Snack

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

I was thrilled to get this bottle in a trade recently. This was easily one of the most sought after beer for me, as I had been trying for a while. Did not seem all that rare I guess, just a lack of people having it. But no matter, I was thrilled to recieve it and immediatly put it in rotation and cracked it out tonight. Twelve ounce bottle served in a pint glass.

Appearence - Poured a very nice, bright golden yellow. Hazy with a thick head of white froth on top that was very slow to recede. Nice side glass lacing then ensued and really thickened up the sides of the glass nicely. Very full look with lots of carbonation throughout.

Smell - The aroma was bright. Lots of light fruity notes with hints of peach, apple, and a good bit of lemon added in for good measure. Hints of light grains in the base and a light hoppy note buried inside.

Taste - The flavor followed suit quite well. A very nice farmhouse ale, with a good hoppy flare to it. Started out nice with a good dose of light yeast and wheat flavors. They rolled nicely together with hints of peach, lemon, and slight apple notes. The finish came through strong with a nice bitter hop note that lingered forever and really dried out the mouth nicely.

Mouthfeel - Really nice medium bodied ale for sure. I was quite impressed with how well this one was put together. Very full body with a huge frothy feel to it.

Drinkability - An outstanding ale to sip on for a while. I had no issued with finishing this one for dinner in fact it was quite easy. Smooth, with a nice dry and delicate finish..

Overall I though this was excellent. A style that is hard to master, but they proved they could do a damn good job at it. A classic in my book and I am very glad that I chose to seek this one out. Definitly a winner and I loved every minute of it.

Fatty Boombalatty from Furthermore Beer