Hop Nosh Tangerine IPA | Uinta Brewing Company

uintabrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by jaydoc on 01-07-2016

1.91/5  rDev -49.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

2.4/5  rDev -37%

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

My neighborhood store just started offering growlers of this so I asked for a taste. REALLY happy I didn't pay, because it was terrible. I'm a big fan of the regular Hop Nosh, but I detected none of the juicy, hoppy deliciousness of the regular HN. After reading the mostly positive reviews I have to wonder what's going on, especially given the mentions of "sweetness." There was nothing remotely sweet in what I tasted. It was 100% bitter. A bad batch?

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.67/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Not real strong

2.87/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Sharp, strong, heavy and not very pleasant.

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

Bottle from Brewers Haven. Seemed like a good idea, but the mix with the tangerines gives this brew some soapy characteristics. Hop Nosh is great, but here the citrus detracts from the original. Flowery, hibiscus aromas and flavors, and that's what lingers, leaving you feeling like you've just washed your mouth out with soap.

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%

12 ounce can poured into a pint glass. Small beige head, with a burnt orange color. Smell is very dank and earthy. I get hints of tangerine, orange peel, and a little lemon. Taste is earthy, dankness, citrus. Weird, tangy/bitter finish. Mouthfeel is a little oily. Overall I didn't care for this one. I much prefer their regular Hop Nosh. A weird aftertaste with the earthy dankness overpowering the tangerine/orange peel flavors.

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

10/27/16

3.02/5  rDev -20.7%

3.07/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

3.07/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

On tap:
Pours a little dirty amber, and without much head on full pour. Ok lacing and what head was there lasted pretty well.

Nose isn't strong but seems a mix of pine wood and citrus.

Taste has a slightly oxidized note to it, but ignoring that I get pine, a little grapefruit, and then a fair squirt of tangerine. It's not great, but not bad to this point - about mid-taste.

So, there isn't a surprise until the second half of the taste. The lingering piney bitterness mixed with the juice of tangerine to produce a lemon/pine/toothpaste undesirable flavor that eventually ends lemony tart. I could finish if forced, but I'm giving it up only halfway through.

Partially wonder if bad, though GF rated it poorly a year ago, and we aren't too far off most times. Then again, I'm usually around +/-5% to BA avg, so who knows.

3.09/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Are U inta fakey tangeriney flavored beer? Then have I gotta beer for U!

3.14/5  rDev -17.6%

Tangerine IPA poured from a can into a Bell's tulip. The pour is murky and burnt orange in color with hardly any bloom at all. Just a half-finger that dissolves rather quickly. I get some marmalade and buiscity notes on the nose and some subdued hop aromas. Doesn't really smell like a good IPA should.

Medium body, nice firm feel, and a badly constructed flavor profile. Starts out with bread, honey, and marmalade, then you get some grapefruit and cedar. It's certainly bitter, but it's astringent and pithy, not fruity and pleasant. It's like I'm getting hop oils, but I'm also getting the stems, twigs, sap, and fertilizer too. The main word that comes to mind is "over-extracted". Finishes on a medicinal note, which always turns me off with an IPA.

In all fairness, this might have been an older can (it was given to me, so I have no idea when it was purchased). Still, I have yet to be impressed enough by a Uinta beer to buy it, take it home, and review it. This one was a freebie (thank goodness). No way would I buy this while there are so many killer IPAs out there within arms reach. I'm still open to trying more of their beers at my weekly tasting. If I ever come across one I really like, I'll be happy to buy it.

3.14/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

3.19/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev -15.7%

Best by 8/1/16. 12oz can poured into a pint glass. Pours a burnt golden with a subtle haze but still has some clarity; chunky white head that slowly falls leaving great retention and sticky lacing. The aromas aren't bad, but they're pretty subtle. Lots of crackers and fresh bread. Malts are there. Subtle hints of citrus. The flavors are sweet and slightly syrupy. The tangerine notes are definitely present. Some hop flavor in the mix. The sweetness seems to cut down on the bitterness. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is nice. It's medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. It's creamy and smooth.

I really like Hop Nosh and Uinta as a brewery, but I guess I'm not personally crazy about the tangerine version.

3.22/5  rDev -15.5%