Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale | Uinta Brewing Company

Utah, United States
uintabrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

This sessionable pumpkin ale is brewed with fresh pumpkin and seasonal spices.

Added by Wasatch on 10-25-2006

4.04/5  rDev +20.2%

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

4.12/5  rDev +22.6%

Like the previous reviewer, I thought this beer would be a different, wonderful taste on the bevy of pumpkin beers out there.

It's super one-note, and I don't get why a number of pumpkin beers out there, of course including this one, don't just go very straightforward and try to faithfully mimic what pumpkins taste like-- perhaps I'm looking for a light, creamy, foamy, sweet, pumpkin beer, or a darker, more robust, spiced pumpkin. Either would have fixed this tepid problem. A well-balanced pumpkin beer, with appropriate experimentation (and test audiences) and batches that come out consistent shouldn't be hard for a brewery that has nationwide distribution.

I'm a little disappointed and it's difficult not to show that in this review. It's hoppy, with a smell like pumpkins, but comes off like an amber with almost zero remarkable qualities. Hooray.

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

2.36/5  rDev -29.8%

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Nice pour, dry pumpkin finish. Could be spicier.

3.09/5  rDev -8%

I've heard people either love this beer or hate it. Let's see if it causes me to vomit like so many BA'ers have implied.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (3.5) : Wow, it's the color of pumpkin alright. Dark pumpkin flesh, with a tinge of dark amber. Head is about 2 fingers and looks marshmallowy. Leaves very faint broken rings of lace around the glass.

Smell (4) : It's interesting that I said "marshmallow" because that's what I'm getting here. With some warm, sun-drenched pumpkin, dark spice, nutmeg, cinnamon. A pretty good smell. The bottle gives off a stiff pumpkin smell, overpowering everything else.

Taste (3) : A little sour, a bit bitter, sickly even, but ends like pumpkin pie. I like the aftertaste, but to get to it, I have to endure the ripe bitterness that is the woeful forerunner. Out of the bottle I could argue it tastes like Busch beer with pumpkin spice added. Heck, if Busch made a pumpkin lager (despite that this is an ale) that's what it would taste like. The flavor out of the glass is a little more classy, if only a little. Belches are like fresh carrot. ...Interesting.

Mouthfeel (3) : Pretty carbonated, medium bodied, spiced, ends dry.

Overall (3.09) : I don't quite know what to think of this brew. I think I'd lean more towards the "hate" category, but it's not entirely terrible. I'd say it's a notch above Shock Top's offering which isn't saying much. The taste is mawkish in every sense of the word, until you get to the end where you taste fresh pumpkin pie. I don't think the first part is worth agonizing through just for a pleasant three second aftertaste. It's actually giving me a little heartburn too. Ah, I wouldn't drink this again.

Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Uinta Brewing Company