Crooked Line: Labyrinth Black Ale | Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company
Utah, United States
uintabrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Labyrinth Black Ale, from Uinta's new Crooked Line, was triumphant in its first competition since it was conceived earning a Gold medal in the Imperial Stout category of the competition at the 2010 North American Brewers Association Awards. Aged in rye barrels.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 06-01-2010

Ratings: 1,134 |  Reviews: 324

Poured into a pink plastic cup.

Look: like used, thick motor oil.

Smell: licorice, earth, composted soil.

Taste: horrible.

Feel: like puking.

Overall: I will never drink this again.

2.33/5  rDev -44.3%

Bottled June 2010. Drank Feb 2011.

A - Shiny black with no highlights. Super thin, milk chocolate head.

S - Sweet mocha, sugary booze.

T - Super sweet. Brown sugar and caramel. Big malt and coffee body mid profile, but not enough to rescue it from the candy up front.

M - Bitter pine on the back end with a rolling sweetness and a touch of booze. Full body.

D - Too sweet for my palate. A bit boozy as well.

2.45/5  rDev -41.4%

I hate slamming someone else's creation, but this beer was hideous. It poured nicely, rich dark color, great head and good aroma. I had high hopes for this one. They were dashed without mercy... kinda of like my jr prom date. The first taste was overwhelming black liqourice, and not in a good way. Then came the after/off flavors in waves -anise, cardboard, bog water from the old country, maybe a little dirt ( I have an older brother and remember it well) and another that I just can't quite describe - similar to that horrible Bulgarian drink they called "beer" I had 20 years ago.. . Strangely enough, despite the horid taste, the mouthfeel was quite nice. I'm just not sure what they were going for with this one. I've had quite a few Imperial Stouts that while that style is not my first choice, I would have again without reservation. This one, never. I have to be generous and give it a 2.5 because maybe if it is your thing, you will appreciate it. But if you are a fan of Belgians, ambers or IPA's, this beer will ruin your day.

2.47/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer was intense. I was wondering how they were going to make a "black ale" so high in alcohol. It seems it was achieved by essentially making it a stout. It did retain a very intense black malt and roasted malt flavour, though. That made it interesting. A lot of things made this beer interesting. But one overarching thing made it disgusting and that was what I call "soy sauce" flavour. I don't know what causes it, but I come across it every now and then in a very strong, dark beer. They take on the flavour and, more prominently, smell, of soy sauce. Everyone seems to agree that that is what they smell like. This is one of those rare beers with this distinct odor and it is most unpleasant. It hits immediately and hard, masking even the presence of alcohol (which is most saddening of all for me). Luckily ,after a few sips, I did start to get used to it with this particular beer. I've had more overwhelming "soy sauce" beers in the past. Underneath it, there is a lot going on and it is all most interesting and appreciated. The oak flavours are very prominent and do a very good job of adding complexity and pleasurable flavour to the strong flavour of roasted malt and licorice.
The mouthfeel wasn't very pleasant either. I like strong stouts, but this was excessively thick, oily, and yeasty. It was not nearly as bad as Jester King's Black Metal, but it suffered from the same problem. It was so thick, yeasty, and strong in flavour and harshness that it became unpleasant. This is coming from someone who thrives on strong, harsh beers. Quads and wee heavies are my favourite styles. But every now and again, I come across something that's just excessive and distasteful. This is one of those things. Interesting, yes, but absolutely not worth buying again. It was a struggle to finish the bottle between four people and only one of us could really say that we "enjoyed" the experience. They best I can muster is, "it was OK. It wasn't "that bad.'" But that's not worth a high score. In the quest for strong stouts, there are much better choices.

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

2.77/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Consumed December 25, 2011 at Blue Dog Beer Tavern, Sherman Oaks, CA.

Beer is opaque black with only the slightest trace of a head.

Aroma of dark pitted fruit (plums) and booze.

First flavors are again dark pitted fruits, anise, some chocolate and wood. The flavor segues into a mid taste of woody bitterness. The finish is a wince-inducing cardboard oxidization. Whether this is a flaw in the beer or a problem with serving establishment, I can't say. Interestingly, the high ABV is not apparent in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and under-carbonated.

The drinkability of this brew is somewhat low due to the off flavors and lack of carbonation.

2.81/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Smells is like a red fruity wine mixed with bitter coffee. It not to bad.

Taste like chocolate, dark fruits, vanilla. a bunch of alcohol. Not to great.

It has a full body feel.

Overall, I don't think I will get this again. This beer was trying to do to much with the licorice and barrel. It kinda of a mess to me. I tried to make it work for me, but it didn't.

2.88/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours near black with a thin mocha head. Smell is strong roasted malts, coffee, and a good amount of anise. Taste is similar with black licorice really dominating the picture, overly so without any complementary flavors. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style. Slightly boozy. Not something I would grab again.

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%

Crooked Line Series. I am not generally a fan of the wonderfully labeled Crooked Line Series of Uinta Brewing of Utah. I have been disappointed in the past but I expected "more" from this harder to get, expensive and high alcohol "black Ale."

Pours black and creamy with a thick and firm dark brown head. Looks very inviting; look rich and "expensive."

The nose is all dark sweet espresso, black chocolate with licorice underlying it. Black burnt toast but still appealing.

The mouthfeel is rich, viscous and thick with light carbonation. The beer is off balanced but still has some initial appeal in the front.

The front flavors are sweet coffee/espresso; bittersweet black chocolate, vanilla/oak and licorice. The initial appealing sweet front flavors quickly go to burnt coffee, tart aggressive licorice and then off putting bitter espresso, to finish with a very long bitter black burnt coal/coffee/licorice finish.

Interesting to taste, perhaps a sip or two with dessert and a cigar. I could never drink more than the smallest amount of this one. Interesting taste - can't really drink. Simply too intense; too extreme.

I love extreme beer but this is like a burnt bitter chocolate licorice extract. It's just too much without any finesse or elegance; no real drinkability factor.

2.99/5  rDev -28.5%

Wooof if you're ready to get your drink on, line this one up. Pours black. Seen thicker, especially at this abv, but don't even dare think this wades into "watery" or "thin" territory. Tan head, 1/3". Aroma smacks heavily of alcohol first, roast second, wood third.

Taste, fucking alcohol blasts its way first. Take no prisoners. Some nuance of a very virgin/dry oak feels and heavy roast comes in. It isn't complex. Its a sledgehammer of a beer. Watched my homie get absolutely tanked on this during Wrestlemania one year. Said later he didn't remember the rest of the night. Usually rye barrel imparts some sweetness, didn't get it here. A little bit of licorice feel to it if you search for it and let it warm.

Overall this was just too boozy for me. At least the price is below average, but I would say for a barrel aged stout, so is this.

Crooked Line: Labyrinth Black Ale from Uinta Brewing Company