Cockeyed Cooper | Uinta Brewing Company

uintabrewing.com

Style: American Barleywine

Aged in bourbon barrels.

Added by Daniellobo on 06-03-2010

I'm partial to Uinta's high alcohol beers because I know they come out of a context of 3.2/4.0 beers; the high alcohol beers could be terrible and they would still stand out, and command an audience and a market in that context. But Uinta's high alcohol beers can stand up to anyone's.

My first reaction when I tried this beer, in a bourbon barrel version, was simply "Wow." It had great taste and great subtlety (for a barleywine ale) and the bonus of the bourbon barrel. Should all my beers be so powerful and profound.

In appearance it is a dark brown, with little lacing.

The smell is beer with a little fruit in front of it -- not too strong an alcohol nose.

The taste is a malty front with a bourbon barrel back; the hops bite is there but is subsumed by the malt and the bourbon (to me, an ideal proportion).

The mouthfeel is reasonably carbonated but not too much nor too little, and overall this is one of the great beers I've ever had: I don't think I would give 5.0's this much to too many brews, but this one seemed to deserve it.

4.89/5  rDev +24.1%

Every once in a while you get that beer. The one beer (or barley wine) that makes it all better. THIS was that beer today.

A- Poured so perfectly with about 2 fingers of a rich carmel head.

S- Rich molasses with hints of cherry or strawberry. I swear this is heaven.

T- Rolls over the tongue like a good bourbon and finishes with a bite. ABV 11.1%

M- Thick and creamy while sitting high on the tongue.

O- I'd like to think that every review depends on environment and timing for the individual but this beer was exactly what the doctor ordered and the taste was out of this world. I highly recommend it. Especially if you like bourbon or irish whiskey.

Cheers!

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

all the 5's are a little egregious, but I swear with one sip this beer rocketed into the stratosphere of my favorites list

A - sunburst red body, foamy tan head that just doesn't die, even at a high ABV

S - notable sharp pineapple hop profile, malt and whisky complete the background

T - amazing. sharp bite of pineapple from the hops, sweet caramel malt, vanilla notes, delicious bourbon tone throughout. this is fabulous stuff

M - creamy, chewy and perfectly bubbly. warming to everything it touches

O - this is a great one. start decently cold and go slow, it opens up beautifully as it warms

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I think this is my first bourbon aged barleywine and I gotta say, it's phenomenal.

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%

Sampling a cellar aged bottle that was bottled on 4/2010.
Poured into a snifter the beer is a deep dark mahogany hue with minimal beige head of about 1 cm.
Aroma is rich malty and complex with brown sugar, dark fruit, figs, some bourbon and a bit of booziness that makes me realize this may be a sipping beer.
First sip reveals an average body with smooth silky texture. Very mild rolling carbonation.
Flavor is malty and sweet and complex with molasses, figs, prunes, bourbon, toffee and a bit of dark chocolate. Fairly complex flavor profile. I get a little warm booze on each swallow but it isnt unpleasant. Complex flavors with the malts dominant.
This beer catches up with me by the end of the 750 ml, but is intensely enjoyable and represents a well made barrel aged B-wine.
I would definitely buy this beer again if I found it on the shelves.

4.76/5  rDev +20.8%