Tilted Smile Imperial Pilsner | Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company
Utah, United States
uintabrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Pilsner

Tilted Smile breaks away from the crowd. Big in alcohol, yet approachable and versatile. Confidently balanced with Saaz hops and 100% Pilsen malt. Crisp and delightfully carbonated.

Added by smcolw on 06-05-2010

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 121 | Ratings: 322
3.5/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy, straw yellow color. It has a lot of movement and liveliness to it. A large, frothy, white head sits on top can lasts throughout the drink.

S: Up front there are is a sweet,kind of fruity aroma to go along with a big toasted malt backbone. Hints of floral hops and a bit of spiciness, like black pepper, come through as well.

T: The sweetness from the malts and the fruity aromatics nearly disappear in the taste. Instead we are left with a taste that is dominated by toasted bread flavors. Everything else seems kind of muddled together.

M: It has a body that is on the lighter side. The surprisingly high ABV is hidden very well and is very easy to drink. There is a light crispness found in the finish that urges you to go back for more.

O: The taste was the big let down in this one. I found it to be too one dimensional. Some added complexity, particularly the sort that was found in the aroma, could really add some value to this beer. I haven't had many imperial pilsners yet, but despite the disappointing lack of complexity in the taste, this seems to be an adequate example of the style.

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Hazy amber body with three fingers of bubbly white head. Really nice retention and the foam clings to the glass the entire way down.

S - Dank fruits and sugary malts. Smells just like a pilsner should with a Belgian twist.

T - Tons of cherry and tangy apricot fruitiness. Again, strong Belgian yeast flavor profiles. Malts are full and bready. Alcohol is spicy but well masked by the strong flavors.

M - Medium full body with moderate high carbonation. Very sticky and syrupy.

O - Not a bad brew. Flavors seem more like a Belgian/pilsner. Normally I prefer a pilsner to be lighter and more dry. Definitely a beer worth trying, but not one i'm likely to come back to often. I do love the labeling though.

2.51/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Bottled two years ago, but stored in a dark 68 degree area for 18 months or so it's been in my possession. I mention this because on one hand I think this beer might have turned a bit, but reading through the reviews, plenty of them mention an overly sweet taste, and mine is almost syrupy. Smells faintly of citrus, but also rusty water. Plenty of carbonation and lace left, though, so maybe this is just far more sweet and sticky than I prefer.

4.01/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Picked up a 750 of this from World Market tonight on sale for $8 - score!

Can't say that I've ever had a double-pilsner, nor do I drink a lot of regular pilsners, so I went with a tallish, thin goblet for this one. Initial pour yielded about 3/4" of liquid and 4" head, so I set it down for a few while I got dinner set out.

Smells pilsner-y; earthy, funky, bread/yeast/toast, and maybe some figginess - got me thinking of some Oktoberfest I recently had. Body is a rusty golden yellow, with bubbles streaming up, and looking pretty active.

I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor, especially after reading a lot of reviews that seemed to rate that as the low point. I think it's nice - really follows suit to what you get in the nose, with emphasis on the malt-toast and fig. The alcohol is unbelievably well-hidden. 9%? You're kidding me. There's some spiciness and warmth in the background that gives it away, and a slickness to the mouthfeel, but otherwise you wouldn't know.

Overall, I really like this one, and heartily recommend!

2.65/5  rDev -25.8%

.75L bottle into a Perfect Pint. Dated 9/30/10...kinda old, and not expecting much hoppiness. It wasn't a bad price, I suppose:

A: Crystal-clear, almost orange body with pretty weak carbonation supporting a fluffy, but quickly deflated, head.

S: A bit of pilsner malt, and a strange, subdued floral note. Just a bit of vaguely spicy hops, and a definite alcohol note.

T: Not very good. Fusel alcohol (odd, after this much time in the bottle, no?), mild cotton-candy sweetness, and a bit of bittering. Pretty disappointed...my fault for not checking the date first? It lacks the clean sweetness and quality hops of a real pilsner, opting instead for an unbalanced, overly boozy character.

M: A bit cloying for a pilsner, and undercarbonated. Alcohol is too pronounced and hot.

O: Perhaps if I see it fresh, I'd try again, but otherwise....pass.

2.92/5  rDev -18.2%

From notes April 2011

A- clear gold with big carbanation after slow pour

S- lemon and african spices. white pepper and grains of paradise.

T- pepper taste up front burns a little. but the citrus cools as you go.

M- crisp easy drinkin.

O- Good price for a good beer. $8 a 750 worth checking out if you like the style

2.61/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled 9/16/13

Tilted Smile pours into a standard pint glass a honey/gold. The head was pristine and white while it lasted, and there isn't much carbonation in the glass. There are maybe 2 or 3 lazy streams. Smell is a mix of sweet and grainy. Mild earth note is present from the hops, but I am really searching for it.

Taste is similar to the smell, but with a more pronounced hop finish. Incredibly sweet, and low in carbonation. As it warms there is an alcohol presence in the middle that clashes with the hops in the finish. Body is viscous and undercarbonated. I enjoy the hop flavor I do get, but the overall presentation of flavor struggles to cooperate.

In the end I'm disappointed, because almost everything on the label about the beer has been completely the opposite.

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

At Thirsty Monk....pours a yellowish with a fizzy head as is indicative of a Pils. Slightly darker than typical though. Taste is grassy from the Saaz hops up front, but there is a much richer malt backbone than is typical. Drinks like an IPA without the hop dominance. Nice brew.

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Live tasting, 750ML corked and caged into Duvel Tulip...

Appearance; pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color, nearly 3 fingers of thick, billowy straw colored head... Retention is ok, after a couple minutes it's fallen to a spotty film. Lacing is good, with thick splotches of head sticking to the glass.

Smell; smells like an average macro pilsner to me... Notes of bread and lime sneak in.

Taste; bready and slightly sweet, with a crisp finish, notes of lingering honey.. Slight hints of hop bitterness and resin. I'm also getting notes of citrus...

Mouthfeel; quite a bit thicker than I anticipated, definitely medium to medium full bodied, slightly sticky but goes down smooth... Carbonation is good, although a little more would definitely help "lighten" the feel of this beer up in my opinion...

Overall; a good beer in a style I don't drink all that often, the ABV is well hidden and it goes down smooth... I'd definitely drink this again, perhaps on a hot day behind the BBQ if I was looking to go a different route than an IPA...

2.88/5  rDev -19.3%

Heard Uinta broke Chicago's market, and wanted to give it a try. Got a bomber of this and struggled for ten minutes with the cork. (I'd like to note, this experience will contribute neither negatively nor positively to the review.

A // Pours a nice, golden straw yellow. The head is pilsen white. Head retention isn't that bad. Mostly attractive.

S // I get a smell of the Czech[style] hops that are the main virtue of this beer. Also I get some grain, and nice simple sugar. But, then, I also think I'm about to drink some alcohol. The smell of ethanol, and some chemical flavors -- maybe phenols -- are also there. Overall, not so bad though.

T // Sharp and clean with some spice and floral character along with the malty sugars. That's what it has going for it, but that's not enough. It does not hide its alcohol or [what I believe are] off flavors. It's alcoholy. So much so that I wanna slap 'works every time' on this bottle. Not a good main feature. Is that a plastic aftertaste? Below a well thought out attempt.

M // This is nice and clean for something that is surely very well malty. I can give them props on this and it would up the drinkability (below) if it weren't for all the alcohol.

D // Not very drinkable. I was trying to see if any of my companions that night would have some, and I'm struggling through twenty-two ounces. I guess I can imagine worse.

3.51/5  rDev -1.7%

The color on this is nice and clear. Its a bright and slight dark tint straw yellow.

The nose is a but sweet and malty for the sytle. I dont get a whole lot of crisp and sharp hints like a typical pilsner. I expected this to be maltier than it is..

The taste is nice and a bit sticky. I like that Im getting the nice clean yeast but also picking up some stick sweetness and with a nice amount of malt.

The mouthful is great. Not overly carbonated and not too thin. Its feels and taste like an imeriall pilsner.

Really digging this style. Solid Effort.

3.66/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a lost abbey tulip.

A: Pours a hazy great looking golden amber color with a two finger pure white head. Head dissipates fairly quickly to leave some nice lacing and a white ring around the top of the beer.

S: Smells like delicious Belgian Pilsner malt with some slight yeast fruit esters in the background.

T: Taste is very crisp and clean like a pilsner should be with some really great hop character from what must be some pretty generous Saaz additions throughout the boil.

M: Mouth feel is is good, it is nicely carbonated and pleasant to drink.

O: I really like this beer. it is very drinkable which makes it dangerous at 9%. Definitely worth the 7 bucks and will most likely pick more up in the future

3.62/5  rDev +1.4%

A-Frothy head that settles quickly
S- Hint of apricot which is very faint
T- Sweet, orange, hoppy, does not taste as strong as it is
M- Syrup-like, nice and bitter aftertaste
O- Nice label and overall taste. Good summer beer. Will purchase again...

3.56/5  rDev -0.3%

750 mL bottle, pint glass

A- Pours clear golden straw color with a thick white head that hangs around for a good while

S- A little resinous hop aroma, some bready malt notes

T- A little sweeter than I had expected and maybe a little less hop crispness than I'd like, but generally mild on the palate and easy to drink

M- Lingers a bit due to its size, but finishes fairly crisp and quickly

D- Can definitely put a couple of these down. I would have liked a little more attenuation and a little more hop, but otherwise a solid IP.

1.99/5  rDev -44.3%

This beer poured a bit cloudy straw which I am not concerned about. Honestly believe unfiltered beers are fine and haze is not a problem.

smell was neutral.

The biggest issue with this beer was the OVERWHELMING Risidual Sweetness.

Pilsner's by definition are meant to be light and crisp. I will forgive a bit of the lightness given that it is Imperial but this beer was uber sweet.

Will not buy again especially when I can buy a classic German/Czech Pils or Victory pils for a quarter of the price

ok, lets remember what we're talking about, what most pilsner tastes like, and that this one would kill a baby. packing 9% abv into a pils without it tasting like steel reserve deserves some recognition. i definitely, however, do not sip this and go "mmm, goddamn this is good", and i do do that when i feel so. what i do is sip this and refer back to the bottle going "nine percent, really? yeah, there it is...man, wow" like a zillion times.

The steps:

bust out the stupid pilsner glass that i hate

pours with a thick pillowy head, more so because traditionally, apparently this beer is meant to be poured into a test tube, whatever. clear pour, dark gold, nose is mostly biscuty, slightly toasty but not too much

This is a flavorful beer for how bready it is, like if they had a bread flavored boullion cube or something. Its good. ive had this once before and i remember liking it more. this is probably not as fresh a sample as i have previously had...is this really nine perent?-yeah, totally still right about that. typically i would not call a beer "smooth" but that really is kind of the case. thick mouthfeel. nice, sort of, fine grade carbonation, all of that especially for a pils.

overall, its just a good flavorful version of a pilsner which is usually a really lack luster brew style save for the few that add some light, super dry hopping.

4.29/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A really great beer and style I haven't seen before. Even though it has a higher alcohol content the beer didn't have an alcohol flavor to it. It came in a 22 oz bottle and was a perfect size and ABV to share with 2 other people. Everyone enjoyed it. There is no hoppiness to the beer as would be expected with a pilsner, but my biggest pet peeve is when pilsners have an overwhelming amount of that strong pilsner malt, but this one did not at all. It was a great balance of a strong beer and a pilsner, if Imperial Pilsner wasn't written on the bottle I would have had a hard time putting this beer into a category.

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Nice taste, not amazing, but there was something about the head that just felt great, not at all the gossamer insubstantiality of other lights, but rather, a curiously coherent, dense foam approaching - what? the chewiness of hops itself? - that was different, exciting, and enticing.

4.25/5  rDev +19%

This is my first Imperial Pilsner, and I must say that I am very impressed. Pours a thicker head than expected, with a good amount of attenuation in the the body. The nose is fruity/bready/yeasty. Taste sweet, with a bit of fruity/bready qualities. I also really appreciate the slight alcohol character that comes in the after taste. I sense a creaminess that is a wonderful surprise for a pilsner. Overall, a great introduction to a new class of beers for me (imperial pilsner). Gonna have to brew me one of these :)

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

A - This beer pours a golden yellow color and it is somewhat hazy. The small head disappears within a few seconds and only lingers on the sides of the glass and there is some is some lacing on the surface of the beer.

S - Smells like a hefe. The hop bouquet is evident and it smells of citrus; oranges.

T - The 9% alcohol is not obvious and it is actually pretty easy to drink.
When I first poured it, I was detecting citrus as well as some 'off flavors'. It sort of tasted like a not-so-good hefe type beer.
As the beer has been sitting and opened up though, I have noticed those 'off flavors' to be less noticeable and the beer has gotten much smoother and now tastes like a true crisp pilser. It is growing on me as I drink it.

M - It is crisp and light.

D - This beer is very drinkable. At 9% you'd think you would taste a lot of booze but in this case you do not. I think this beer is as drinkable as standard alcohol pilsners and will get you drunk much faster, if that's what you're going for.

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%

I had the good fortune to share this beer with a good friend on a blanket in the grass... so my perception may be a little skewed. There's a lot to be said for atmosphere.

This beer looks like a sunset and tastes like butterscotch. I drank this beer after a very hectic weekend of attending my best friend's wedding, and the lace on the glass reminded me of what a bride's dress should look like - with pure classic lace. The head looked like a soft blanket. Overall, the beer was near perfect, except that the smell of yeast was definitely present. But this ice cold beer was the perfect ending to a weekend of chaos. I didn't want the glass to empty; this beer definitely brings me a tilted smile

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last