Dubhe Imperial Black IPA | Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company
Utah, United States
uintabrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

Toasted, chocolaty dark malts align with an astronomical amount of hops.

Added by TheFlern on 03-10-2011

Ratings: 2,168 |  Reviews: 433
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Dubhe Imperial Black IPA comes from my home state of Utah, and what drew me to Uinta to begin with. When I first tried it, I was overwhelmed with bitterness, but I decided to retry it. I am glad that I did.

Keep note throughout, I poured it out of a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It has a very creamy looking head to it. Very carbonated look to it and looks very flavorful and tantalizing even.

Smell: On first smell, detection of orange or orange peel comes to mind. Second smell, I detected orange and a slight chocolate scent.

Taste: Make no mistake, it is a very hoppy IPA. Let this one sit in your mouth for a bit and you can taste a definite orange flavor on the first few drinks. Later though, in the middle of the beer, I start to taste the chocolate undertone along with a very subtle roasted coffee flavor, which is very pleasant. Toward the end, it is back to the straight up orange-chocolate undertone flavor it started with.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel here is a balance of smooth and rough. The hoppiness brings rough bitterness, yet there is a pleasant smoothness after the initial hoppiness of the beer.

Overall: Overall, I think this is a very excellent beer. Will be picking up again in the future. As for being a drink-straight or drink-with-food beer, I feel it could go either way. If drinking with food, I recommend that heavy meat (pork), starchy foods and salad dressings such as Bleu Cheese be paired with it. It is also a heavy beer at that, leaving you feeling full after drinking it or pairing food and drinking.

Final score: 4.75/5.0