Hop Nosh IPA | Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company
Utah, United States
uintabrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Bold and refreshing, this IPA combines an abundance of hops with a smooth malt profile.

Added by Beernoisseur on 10-04-2011

Ratings: 4,238 |  Reviews: 667

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

A - Clear, bright, orange gold. Nice bone white head with great lace and retention.

S - Floral hop with earthy overtones. Honey sweetness.

T - Strong, dry bitter hop. Touch of booze shows up in the center of the profile. Herbal backend with a soft honey sweetness.

M - Medium/light body. Shade flat.

O - Surprisingly bold bitterness.

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

Picked this up in NC, wish these guys were still in Arkansas... BBD of 03/03/13

Pours honey colored with 2 fingers of beige head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Catty & grassy, grapefruit

T: Grapefruit pith, lemons & lemon zest & a touch of grassyness up front. Some biscuitty notes as this warms. Become herbal & catty as this warms, pineyness & leafy hops in large quanititiesas well. Finishes grassy, catty, piney & grapefruitty

MF: Medium bodied, soft carbonation & great balance

I would love to try some of this fresher if possible, but fairly kick ass as it is, very quaffable

4/5  rDev 0%

Lightly hazy. Orange amber color. Good starting head, but it settles to a narrow band of bubbles. It does leave some streaky lace

Green,fresh hop smell with a strong scent of grapefruit.

A traditional American IPA, with lots of bitterness that is reminiscent of chile peppers. Very light malt. The body is good with an appropriate level of carbonation.

3.39/5  rDev -15.3%

16 ounce pint - $5.25 at Taco Mac in Canton, Georgia.

Appearance: Clearish, copper-gold body with one full inch of sustained white foam. Good lacework on the descent.

Smell: Pale malts with a simple breadiness about it in the aroma with an element of alcohol mixed amongst the hop notes of resin, citrus pith, and florals.

Taste: Sweet, bready pale maltiness with a very, very thin edge of caramel. Spice, lemon rind, and a light dash of resins. Moderately bitter. A slight alcohol presence gives a lift to the bitterness (on the far end of the spectrum at 7.30%) Bready, bitterish finish with those resins still sticking around.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: A little more alcohol than needed or desired. While not great it's decent enough, it's an IPA that just holds it own in the vast sea of IPA's out there these days.

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sure enough, a CAN surfaced, thanks to the good people at the Harrisburg Brewers Festival last Saturday (15 June 2013) who understand the importance of The CANQuest (TM)!

Today is Thursday, 20 June and I am Brother Woody, pseudo-monk with the Order of Disorder. My partner is Sam Knocken, my Old Lady is La Petite Abeille. The city is Lancaster, PA. The review you are about to read is true. No one is innocent so nothing has been changed.

The Crack was an audible masterpiece as was the inverted Glug. With two dense fingers of tawny head staring at me, I had some time to kill. Color was a deep-amber with NE-quality clarity and loads of obvious effervescence. Heavy, sticky lacing was beginning to form, so I readied myself for my first hops fix of the day. I tied off, brought up a vein, wiped a drop of sweat from my brow and leaned in for a whiff. Holy dank, Batman! Where did they load this batch of hops, anyway? Mendocino County, California? The rest of the monastery was off copying the Bible, using a Xerox, which I think is cheating, but nobody was looking, so I shot up, I mean, took a deep draught. Mouthfeel was soft and caressing on the tongue, accompanied by an immediate caramel malt sweetness, followed by a cooling minty flavor from the hops. I may be mis-remembering, but I swear that Brach's used to make a Mint caramel when I was a wee lad. Today, I am not big on sweets, but this was goood. The finish exhibited the same interplay between the malt and the hops that I noted in the mouth. I like it!

I received this from my local, in-person trader, tone77, recently and I CAN assure you that I will be re-reviewing it from a CAN in the near future. In the interim, a bottle will have to suffice.

From the bottle: "For Best Flavor Enjoy in a Glass"; "Brewed with RENEWABLE POWER Wind & Solar"; "Earth, Wind and Beer"; "Loaded by Uinta Brewing Co.".

I utilized an aggro pour, causing the formation of a dense finger of tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was of resinous piney hops and having come from a high school no-hitter this afternoon, it reminded me of pine tar. Wow! Mouthfeel was medium and the hops were notched up to the point of unmistakability. I now wonder where the demarcation line between an AIPA and a DIPA actually lies. It is somewhere around this brew. Great lacing began to form in my glass as I drank. Finish was actually only semi-dry, which is surprising, given the level of IBUs that this must register. If this measures up from a CAN, my cooler may have a new friend.

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out a very nice golden amber with a little bit of a haze to it, but nothing terribly dramatic. A good amount of carbonation could be seen streaming up toward the top of the glass, which only served to reinforce the very nice head

The aroma was classic hop bomb of an IPA from the first whiff. No, mention of the alcohol what so ever in this one from the aroma through. Lots of fresh citrus hop aromas coming right at you with a delicate balance of bitterness and a touch of sugar as well. Definitely some light sweet notes coming through on it, especially as it warmed up a touch. Very nice feel here, with a rich medium body that was full of carbonation, offering you a very nice creamy feel as it went down,

4.09/5  rDev +2.3%

a 12 oz poured into a pint and mug shared with tenderbranson69.

The color is deep amber with good clarity and thick cream with good retention and lace. The smell has lots of grapefruit aroma which is pleasant and floral hop ester with light citrus peel and light herbal odor. The feel is very good with moderate bitterness and slight resinous feel and moderate carbonation with a lasting bitter finish with dry quality.

The flavor is spicy and bitter from hops up front with nice citrus taste with subtle herbal quality and light malt sweetness with a piney finish and semi-sweet middle with a nice yeast creaminess with adds to the flavor and there is still enough malt to provide a nice bitterness that is not too sharp as it finishes. Overall a great, drinkable IPA, very hop forward as is eexpected and this is a good example of the style overall.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

3.26/5  rDev -18.5%

On-tap at Bruery Provisions

The beer pours a clear golden orange with a white head. A really weird aroma. Quite floral with a little bit of grass and pine. Slightly sweet malt aroma, mostly bread. The flavor is moderately sweet without a ton of hop flavor either. It's mostly grass and line with a touch of floral hops and citrus peel. Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

3.48/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can from the Lazy Dog
Pours s lightly hazy dark golden color that borders on amber with a huge fluffy whit head that persists for quite a while. Aromas of citrus and pine with some faint green onions and a solid hit of bready caramel malt to back it up. The flavor is actually quite malt forward with lots of sweet bread and rich caramel and toffee notes. Pine, resin, and a bit of green onion flavor provides a bit of balance. Firm hop bitterness. Medium body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a sweet almost syrupy and resinous mouthfeel. My can shows a best before 1/25/14 I'm not sure when that means it was bottled, but I found this a bit malty for an IPA. Decent enough and drinkable, but I'd grab something else before this again.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.72/5  rDev -7%

Thanks to my boy Broc for gifting me with a bottle of this recently. Poured into a pub glass, the brew appears a hazed color of orange with some lighter yellow around the edges. A finger of yellowish stained froth sits atop and slowly fades leaving some webby patterns of lacing effect sticking to the glass. Pretty decent retaining powers composed of rather large bubbles.

The aroma has a nice floral and fruity rind quality. A bit of herbs, grass and pine with a slight catty aspect. For being bottled 3 months ago, the brew displays a pleasant depth of hop character still lingering in the nose. More smells reveal a bit of bready grain character that is slightly toasted.

The taste has that previously described toasted grain character before the onset of hop flavoring and modest bitterness. The hops have an oily feel of resinous pine, bitter rinds/pulp and a bit of floral element. It is somewhat herbal and grassy with a flavor of grapefruit rinds and slight minty aspect across the back before a perfume-like ester of alcohol takes things to the next level.

This is a medium to fuller bodied brew for an ipa. It is overall a pretty decent brew but not something I would go out of my way for or continually purchase time after time. I am appreciative of the chance to try it and if given the opportunity to have a fresher bottle, I wouldn't hesitate.

4.31/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My first Uinta from Utah, I love the bottle you can get drunk and magnetize it and use it as compass since the glass is etched with cardinal directions. I've already drank half of the six pack and I'm really enjoying it so far, pours a brilliant copper color with slightly off white billowing head, leaves fine speckled lacing. Aroma big dank earthy citrus and a bit of the fine mary jane like resinous cannabis, light biscuit caramel malt backbone just barely present. Flavor upfront big juicy hops, pine, citrus, earthiness resinous flowing notes with a hint of malt in the backend, finishes semi dry I like the hops in this bottle. I will call it an almost west coast IPA, pretty damn good. Incredibly easy to guzzle, the hops don't linger with razor sharp bitterness yet have complex hop notes all day, I really dig the vibe I'm getting here. Resinous medium bodied hop oils glide well across my palate with sturdy carbonation, classic IPA.

Hop Nosh IPA from Uinta Brewing Company