Hop Nosh IPA | Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company
Utah, United States
uintabrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Bold and refreshing, this IPA combines an abundance of hops with a smooth malt profile.

Added by Beernoisseur on 10-04-2011

Ratings: 4,229 |  Reviews: 666
4.21/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got in a trade as an extra, but forget from who. THANKS! Pours a nice dark gold/orange/light copper hue with a small white head. Honestly, this thing smells fantastic. Great floral, pine, grapefruit, mango, pineapple coming off the nose. Such an unassuming bottle. A nice hop bitterness, with grapefruit up front and on the way down, with a definite lingering pine on the palate. Hop bite all the way through. Carbonation is lower than I expected. Really easy drinking, and could be mistaken for a session IPA. An unexpected surprise. Will have to seek out more from Uinta.

4/5  rDev 0%

4/5  rDev 0%

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with a "best before" date of 01/05/14 stamped on the label. Poured into a 6 oz hotel room water glass because I don't have anything else. I suppose I should be glad that I found a decent beer at all, since the beverage cooler in the Rio casino shop was dominated by giant macro beers, with a small corner dedicated to a few Uinta and Stone beers. I must say that I love the label art, with a pair of farmers handling watermelon-sized hop cones to one another out of the back of a wagon wheel cart bed.

Appearance - Pours a brassy copper color that is completely clear, with traces of carbonation bubbles rising up through the liquid to form a one-finger head of microbubbles the color of old parchment. Retention is quite good, and when it finally dissipates, it leaves a smattering of sticky lacing.

Smell - Grapefruit, a symphony of herbal notes dominated by fresh grass and alfalfa, as well as light notes of pine. Hard to detect anything but the bouquet of hops, but that doesn't bother me one bit for the style. Looking forward to diving in.

Taste - Not as citric as the smell, but that grapefruit element is still there. Now, the more dominant flavor profiles are the pine resin, more herbal grassiness and a pleasant bitterness like baby garden greens and dandelions. On the finish, a faint bit of malty sweetness comes through, but make no mistake, the hops are running this show.

Mouthfeel - Body is barely on the light side of medium and the beverage possesses ample carbonation, as seen with the bubbles rising up through the glass. Finish is faintly bitter and mostly dry.

Overall, this is my first foray into the world of Uinta beers, and it seems I've picked a good place to start. This IPA has the punch you in the face hop profile that so many love about the style, but uses hop profiles that prevent this from being a bitter bomb. I've made sure to get my fill of them while in Las Vegas, since alas Uinta doesn't distribute to the Kansas City area.

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured half bottle into snifter glass

A- Nice color, dark amber, orange tint, when poured seemed a bit cloudy but did clear up when settled. A nice big billowy off white head that rose to a couple inches and stuck around and seems to cling to the glass nicely with nice big bubbles

S- smell is full of hops, mildly floral, but not too sweet. Maybe a bit vegetal, a little bready with a hint of sweet grapefruit.

T-Not a whole lot going on but grapefruit, grapefruit grapefruit. The hop taste is actually quite nice for my liking. I was never a fan of grapefruits or the juice, but this I can work with. The bitterness is just right for me too. There is just a touch on the tongue, but it's not over the top. A bit one-dimensional, but still pleasant.

M- This is a clean, crisp, refreshing IPA. The mouthfeel seems to be right for the style. It's smooth going down and there isn't a bite from any excessive alcoh-whoah, I just saw that this was 7.3% ABV! I was thinking 5.6-6. I would not have guessed that high. Well, there you have it. This is definitely not a session beer!

O- If I saw this in a bar I would order it, but only if the options were limited. I only purchased one bottle just to try it. I was in the mood for a new IPA. I was not disappointed, but I wasn't blown away. It is a decent offering. Uinta is a nice brewery and I am glad to see their beers in New York now.

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%

3.94/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a darker straw color, very clear, decent head. The smell is a bit skunky and just a touch oniony, it's all hops, and pretty good, but not quite enough of the floral/citrus/fruity side for my tastes. The taste is very good, but same issue for me. Well made, well priced beer that I would drink again, but I wish the hop bill could be tweaked a little.

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Poured a finger and half of head on a hazy, dark straw colored body.
The aroma is a nice orange and mandarin smell.
The taste is moderate to strong pine and grapefruit bitterness throughout with a nice orange sweetness balancing it out.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Quite enjoyable.