Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

HooDoo Kölsch Style Ale | Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company
Utah, United States
uintabrewing.com

Style: Kölsch

This crisp kolsch-style ale is golden in color and exhibits refreshing hop character.

Added by Wasatch on 10-23-2011

1.86/5  rDev -46.1%

A - Poured with very little head. Dissipated quickly to a very light cap and left very little lacing. Color is a very clear slightly golden yellow. High levels of carbonation are visible.

S - Very sweet smell is overpowering at first, but as you get into it, there is a cereal adjunct smell, and then a slightly boozy smell, surprising for a 4% ABV.

T - Fruits and adjuncts, taste like a cheap macro adjunct lager with tart pear juice mixed in. Not impressed at all. No quality malt or hops notes to speak of.

M - Club soda?

O - Not impressed with this one, and although I've never been blown away by a beer from Uinta, this one is not up to par. Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but it is enough to scare me away from buying this one again. Glad it was part of a make your own 6 and I only have one bottle of it. Not up to the quality of other Kolsch style beers I've had.
You may say I'm being to hard on this one, and it isn't horrible, but it taste like something I would drink while grilling or tailgating, and given a choice I would rather have a cheap, American light beer than this.

2.04/5  rDev -40.9%

Had this on tap at Grape and Grain in San Mateo, CA.

The only thing I can say about this beer is DME. Dried Malt Extract. There is an overwhelming smell of malt/malt extract wafting from this beer. At first I thought it was just a bready character, but then as the beer warmed it it really showed its true colors. It literally smelled like hot wort during the boil when I used to make partial mash beer on my stove.

I'm not sure if the beer is extract brewed or not, but I can't get that taste or smell out of my head. Not the worst beer I've had, but I will not be reaching for this one again.

2.33/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

2.52/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.58/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured a light hazy straw color into a pint glass. White fizz 2" head dissipating to thin consistent head. I detected an almost detergent smell at first that changed to grass. Initial light malt flavor with very light hop bitterness on the end. Light and crisp feel with higher sensation of carbonation than what you would expect from looking at it. Further sips produced a sensation of seltzer water.

2.66/5  rDev -22.9%

A- A beautiful gold color, brilliant clarity, with a lingering lace and subtle head that lingered to the end.
A- Very muted aroma. No noticeable hop or malt aroma. The esters typically associated with the style are missing.
T- Taste is subtle grass with a slight bitterness that borders on astringent. The bitterness is firm for the style, but lacks any hop flavor or aroma.
M- Carbon level was acceptable/appropriate, and the mouthfeel was dry and crisp.
O- Disappointing. Kolsch is my style, but every time I try a new American interpretation I'm left wondering if any of them have ever had a traditional example from Koln. Cant recall the last good one I had! Colorado Kolsch is the last one that came close

2.77/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an Olde Hickory glass on 9/19/12

Bottled on 06/11/12

Sun-faded golden yellow color. Rather clear. Pours a one thumb cap of fluffy white foam. Thin retention with some scattered lace.

The aroma finds notes of toasted grains, grass and floral hops, buttered bread, biscuit dust and a hint of dough. Fairly clean overall and tilted in favor of the grains. The taste is similar in terms of grain, though the hops are dulled and have something of a metallic twinge on the finish. Perhaps it because it's three months old. The feel is light and somewhat thin, staring off smooth with soft, rolling carbonation moving in mid-body.

Not a bad little beer, but the aroma is the high point. If I ever come across a fresher bottle, I'll revisit.

2.85/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Center poured into a pilsner glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Best before date of 5-22-13.

Very clear straw/golden color with a bubbly, foamy head.

The aroma is mostly earthy, kind of musty? There's a bit of grass and a little caramel/light toffee scent. Not bad but kind of odd...

The taste is much more what I expect from a kolsch. Grassy and floral with a little lemon. Comes on with some grainy malt sweetness, ends with a nice bitter grassiness. But, those odd toffee and earthy/musty note comes out in the end too, and it comes out more as it warms and becomes distracting. Tastes oxidized, maybe some other kind of off influence.

Nothing particularly wrong with the texture, but it's a bit heavy for a kolsch and could use more carbonation.

I feel like there's a good kolsch to be had here but this particular bottle at least had some off flavors going on. I'll update if I try a better one in the future.

2.91/5  rDev -15.7%

Beer #28 in my great Utah Brew Hunt.

This is a kolsch? Really? Way too far into ale territory, in my opinion. Body is quite thick, profile is quite intense, for the style. Too leafy, too earthy, and not filtered enough, I want to say. As a beer, sure it works. But this tastes like generic homebrew to me as opposed to something refined, as a kolsch should be.

2.95/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.96/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle poured into snifter, best by 2/8/13.

A - Pours light gold with a one finger head that dissipates quickly. Leaves some lacing down the glass.

S - Not a lot in the nose. Light malt aroma is the most prevalent. Bread, a hint of herbal and earthy hops, slight spicyness.

T - Same as the smell, not a ton going on here. Slightly sweet malt upfront, bready, finishes slightly sweet.

M - Light body, medium carbonation. Smooth, very easy to drink.

O - I enjoy subtlely flavored beers but this one is a little too subtle for me. Pretty average across the board. Maybe I'll have to revisit it again sometime to see if I missed something.

2.99/5  rDev -13.3%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at a local SoCal bottle shop and served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high; I like Uinta and I love a good Kolsch. Best before 03/05/13. I don't see an ABV listed. Clearly labelled a Kolsch.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted pretzel twists.

A: Pours a two finger white colour head - fairly thin - without any real cream. Retention is above average (~3 minutes). Body colour is a clear pale yellow-copper. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Pretty typical for the style; there's nothing unique or special here. Standard fare.

Sm: Fragrant crystal malt, buttery notes, pale malts, perfumey preservative hops, bready notes, light grape, and dry grains. A mild strength aroma. Typical of a kolsch, but surprisingly unrefreshing. No yeast or alcohol is detectable.

T: Dry crystal malt body redolent of pear. Light white grape. Dry pale malts. Clean and simple. Not quite refreshing, but close. No yeast or alcohol comes through. It's balanced, if simple. I do like it. Rather neutral in flavour. Lacks complexity and subtlety.

Mf: Crisp, with near perfect dryness. Smooth. Decent palate presence. Good carbonation. It's typical of the style but doesn't feel custom-tailored to the flavour profile.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. It's not bad for a Kolsch, but I'm far from impressed. Hides its ABV well. I expected better from Uinta. This doesn't scratch my Kolsch itch. Leaves a lot to be desired. I'd try it on draught. Few will have any trouble quaffing this one. Decently priced for what it is.

High C