Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale | Black Sheep Brewery PLC

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by stcules on 05-24-2002

Ratings: 1,250 |  Reviews: 609
2.59/5  rDev -22%

A slightly fruity aroma however but no fruitiness in the flavor. (It was kind of surprising as the aroma and flavor were like two separate beers.)

Some hoppiness accompanies a very mild beer. Body is very light, almost watery.

Not a bad beer per say, but nothing very impressive...

3.48/5  rDev +4.8%

I'll be honest, I only bought this beer becuase I am a huge fan of Python, and thought it was funny. I was plesantly surprised however. This is a good ale. Nothing award winning or ground breaking, but a solid beer, I would recommened. I good, full bodied, well rounded ale. I would certianly get this again, in fact, I know I will.

3.31/5  rDev -0.3%

Out of the bottle this looks good. Two finger, Thick head. Nice transparent copper color.
Smell is not to impressive. Some fruity aromas, some light hop, nothing spectacular.
Taste is not bad, typical of this style of ale. Some fruity, apple like taste in the front and a small kick of hop in the end.
Mouthfell is O.K., everthing is proper for this style, nothing extrordinary.
Overall a good ale. It's like Monty Python comedy, not everyone will like it but it's worth a shot.

2.09/5  rDev -37%

Seeing the label I'm expecting that the novelty of being a Monty Python beer is the major selling point. it pours average and looks average and smells like...poo. Yeah poo. A distinct poo smell wafted up and out of the glass and to the best of my knowledge the glass I am using has never been anywhere near poo. Do I like this beer. No. No I do not like poo smelling beer. If you do then maybe you will like it.

Still the poo element is not overpowering and something like skunky Corona is much worse. I should emphasize that it doesn't have a poo taste (I guess?!) but does have a waft of toilet smell.Will i buy it again? Sure, but not for my own consumption.

3.12/5  rDev -6%

A: Clear and orange, with a nice 2-finger head. Good head retention. Barely even dissipating.

S: A little skunky, as is expected from this style. Actually smells a bit gross compared to other pale ales. Alcohol and hops are strong.

T: Very strong and different hop flavor with a yeasty background. Very alkaline aftertaste - lots of minerals in the water. Sweetens up after the first couple of drinks, which seem way too bitter. I'm on the third drink now and I think I'm liking it. Alcohol evidence in the finish and aftertaste.

M: Medium-bodied with a nice carbonation. A little astringent, but not bad. A bit of an oily feel to the mouth.

D: Pale ales in general aren't very drinkable for me, and this one is no exception.

4.4/5  rDev +32.5%

One of my favorite beers, if not THE favorite. It's bitter at first but lightens up with every swig. Dark English Ale that ages fantastically well as well - I've aged a couple for 6 months and over a year. It mellows a bit with age and actually gets smoother.

A brand new bottle will oftentimes taste overly bitter with the first swig but then the flavors begin opening up and blend together as you drink the bottle, it's a great beer to drink during the winter but may be a bit too heavy to drink during the summertime.

3.36/5  rDev +1.2%

It's rainy out- what better time for an Ale? The Black Sheep Brewery's Holy Grail Ale pours
two good fingers of foam over a reddish amber brew. Carbonation is slow but steady, and
the nose is fruity English yeast esters and toasty malt. The flavor is nutty, tart malt up front,
with vanilla notes and a sharp herbal hop finish. The mouthfeel is crisp and very dry yet balanced. All in
all, a pretty appetizing brew.

4.12/5  rDev +24.1%

A very distinct beer. A little bit on the bitter side right at first, but as you get near the bottom of the glass, it gets a little sweeter with a slight hoppy taste to it. Pours in a dark brown color, with a light cream colored head that really doesn't last, but still has a slight appeal to it as you finish the beer off. Not the best beer i've had, but not the worst. Try it if you get the chance, just to get a good look at the bottle.

3.02/5  rDev -9%

The bottle is a little bit larger than your average beer, making it difficult to pour. Showed a rich amber colour, cloudy, with a large and lasting rather creamy head. Not very complicated flavour; slight hoppiness in the beginning, and it finished out bitter. Warm and full bodied.

2.92/5  rDev -12%

Pours a clean pale golden color, with a small white head. Aromas that a sweet, and kind of like a gingerbread cookie. Tastes of a standard English ale, dry with a sweet end. Aftertastes of a dry alcohol feeling. More to the novelty aspect, but a decent English ale.

3.2/5  rDev -3.6%

1 pt. 0.9 fl.oz bottle with no freshness date

Pours a reddish amber color with about a finger of off-white head that leaves some spotty lacing. Aroma is fairly mild but pleasant, malts dominate but also present are some fruity esters all of which is accompanied by hints of hops and earthiness. Taste seems even more subdued than the aroma. all of the aromas I mentioned were present in the taste. At the very beginning there is a tinge of malty sweetness which is overtaken by a pleasant fruitiness. The fruitiness lingers into the finish where it is joined by a mild hoppiness with a small bite of bitterness at the very end of the finish when all of the other flavors have fallen away. Medium-light in body with low-moderate carbonation that isn't very noticeable. Drinkability is ok. This really isn't anything special, I'm fairly indifferent about this beer overall.

3.13/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Pours a clear dirty golden / straw body supporting an off-white, tannish one and a half-finger head. Minimal carbonation, no sedement.

S - Very harsh, almost phenolic smells that roll back to betray an almost overly yeasty / bready character. Sour apple finishes. Not terribly looking forward to this, but we'll see.

T - Very tart, again with the sour apples. After that comes the yeast, prominent but not overpowering. Finishes with a snappy, bitter hop note. Malts are nowhere to be found for this reviewer.

M - Thin and watery with a subtly spiked carbonated kicker.

D - I guess it's a solid English brew; characteristically bitter (no offense) and the sour apple notes give it a little spice (unless I just happened to get a bad bottle). Nothing wrong with it, but nothing terribly memorable besides the gimmicky label, which, to be fair, is most of the reason this was bought.

4.1/5  rDev +23.5%

1 pt .9 fl. oz heavy duty, dark brown bottle. No date that I could find.

A. Poured hazy amber, nice head w/fair retention and lacing.

S. Very slight acedic but flowery aroma

T. Moderately malty sweet and nice hop balance. Nice bittery finish

M. Creamy smooth nice easy carbonation.

Anything Monty Python gets my attention. Getting past that, this was a delightful beginnning to the end of a warm day. Paid $3.99, I suppose was worth the price of admission. Wish I had another one..bummer.

2.65/5  rDev -20.2%

I have to admit it, like many others, I bought this beer just because of the name. Looked fine, a light amber color. Two finger thick foamy white head that did not go away. Small was soft grainy malt with a honey-like sweetness to it, but with an earth tone as well. The taste was a mix of grain and wheat malt with a touch of honey and caramel, with a hoppy bite at the end. Even with that complexity, I still came away with the feeling that the flavor was a little macro, a little thin. Above average carbonation and a runny mouthfeel. Somewhat of a session beer, worth a try for the gimmick, but if you want a pale ale, I would sample others.

3.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Being a Monty Python fan I have to admit that when I saw this beer I had to try it.
After popping the top I was quite pleased with the carbonation and the foamy head.
having a love for english ales I would say that this one was rather satisfing and enjoyable. Smooth and malty with a dry hoppiness.

3.4/5  rDev +2.4%

I have seen this all over the place for several years, and now that I work for the company the distributes this, I felt I should give it a go. It poured up rather average looking for an English Pale Ale, with a nice looking white foamy head. Smell was earthy hops with a caramel-like malty note, but otherwise, rather average for the style. Taste was more malty than hoppy, which I enjoyed somewhat. Almost thirst quenching. Mouthfeel wasn't out of the ordinary, but this was very drinkable. I could see myself buying this again.

3.65/5  rDev +9.9%

From the bottle this poured a orange to brown color with a big foamy head that left lots of big lacing rings. Nose of sweet malts and a creamy mouthfeel. Flavor is again sweet malts, and finish is slightly bitter. Nothing fancy here bout overall a decent brew.

3.6/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from draft into a pint glass at Frisco's Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Pours a light brown, with a dark tan head.

S- Malty, sweet, with a earthy scent.

T- Very sweet with a dryish, hop finish.

M- Very carbonated, thin taste on the tongue.

D- An okay beer, nothing to seek out.

2.29/5  rDev -31%

this bottle must have been old...obviously it was bought for the name/label. poured a light hazy straw/apricot color. off aromas-fishy, funky. also some vegetal and petrol notes. taste was dry, thin, and sour. light and spritzy mouthfeel. drinkability would be fine at this abv but this one had gone bad. i don't imagine they intended to make beer that smelled/tasted like this.

3.57/5  rDev +7.5%

I kind of like this beer for its malty, burnt wheat flavor, nice carbonation, and hint of fruitiness. The beer pours a nice amber with a frothy head that dissipates quickly. The lacing is not great. The smell is the low point of this beer. Musty, macro, maybe a little sour smelling, but the flavor compensates. My second criticism is that this beer is a little lighter bodied than I would liked. The malty flavor is quite good, however. This is not a sweet beer by any stretch but there are some sweet notes in the malt. This isn't a dry ale either, but it does have some dry notes as well. The hops are completely subdued and the aftertaste is where you might find them hiding. There is a burnt taste in the malts but it is quite pleasant. This beer might not be to everyone's liking but it is quite good and I would revisit it under the right circumstances.

Re-visit November 2009: I'm adding points to this one. I must have had a bad bottle because the nose is at worst inoffensive, but has some plum and grape skin aromas. It's quite nice. The taste is also quite nice. It is certainly a light beer, a tad watery, nothing outstanding, but certainly a respectable beer.

3.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured out of a 500 mL bottle with a smooth, creamy head over a slightly hazed copper body. The smell was herbal and earthy, with some fruity esters (apple) and burnt caramel.

The taste started surprisingly bitter and hoppy, but sweet malt balanced it out. The hoppiness became less pronounced as the beer went down. Moderate carbonation and medium body — overall a decent beer, but Black Sheep Ale is a far better choice from this brewery.

2.11/5  rDev -36.4%

Aight this beer looks like it's got potential. Then you smell it...it's like smelling a bud. Then you taste it and you get that same awful flavor.

If you want an American macro you can get one for a lot less. My friend and I both had to force this down as we didn't want to waste a beer. Looking back we should have just put this in the sink (had it last night).

It's a fuzzy yellow beer...do NOT waste your time or money. The only reason to have this beer would be to display the bottle if you've got a collection of beer bottles. The name is pretty cool.

2.81/5  rDev -15.4%

Hopefully the smell of burning witches isn't imparted on the beer.

Very nice looking ale, a hazy copper color with a very thick, foamy white head that takes it's time receded to a small white cap. I noticed lacing clinging to the sides of my ale glass all the way to the top.

almost a malt vinegar smell, the kind you get from rotting crap apples. Some malt sweetness in there as well.

Big blast of hop bitterness right away. The apple-like malt follows quickly. Found it was more carbonated than I expected, Hop finish that resembles an IPA at the end. Maybe a touch on the sour side as well.

a bit fizzy, especially at the initial swig stage.

An OK ale, I’ll be spending my $$$ on others

3.46/5  rDev +4.2%

Copper in appearance with a thick creamy head that stays awhile. Smell of slight malt, but not much else. Taste is slightly sweet with a hoppy bite to it. Mouthfeel is light - medium. Probably one I wouldn't readily try again, it has the hoppiness but it's not one that finishes clean.

2.58/5  rDev -22.3%

I've always seen this beer as more a gimmick than anything else but have also respected the Black Sheep name and since nothing else stuck out today at the store I decided to go for it. Decent off-white head retention on top of a golden amber body. A surprising waft of sweet apple hits the nose along with a little hop and not much else; almost more of a cider smell.

My first sip shows a large malt profile and strong toasted notes drowning out the fruit and hops I was expecting to at least detect. Metal also sounds in early and often, which is unfortunate, almost like the knights soaked their swords in this beer for a week before it was bottled, not cool. The aftertaste in particular is rubbish. I really wanted to like this beer but I wont be dropping four bucks on this stinker again.

Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale from Black Sheep Brewery PLC