Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale | Black Sheep Brewery PLC

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by stcules on 05-24-2002

Ratings: 1,249 |  Reviews: 609
3.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The aroma is malty but a bit hoppy. There was not much head to it. I would say about a finger and the carbonation in the body was thin. The body itself was golden. It is mainly a malty beer with a well hopped finish. The mouthfeel is medium and a bit slick. It wasn't bad I would expect more for the price.

3.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had been a fan of the Monty Python since I was in 7th grade, so when I came across this I had to try it. The beer poured out as a typical golden color with soapy white head on top. The smell of the beer smell like an ESB, lots of malts and grains on the nose. The taste of the beer has a solid bitterness to it with a semi-sweet flavor in the mix too. The mouthfeel was nice, had a pretty good amount of carbonation to it and was just a bit lighter than medium bodied. Overall I found this ale to be enjoyable and would probably have it again one day.

4.07/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear yellow/orange colour with a fading head and average lacing.

Smells fresh, hoppy, what you would expect from a pale ale.

Taste is mildly hoppy, balanced with malts fairly well, a lemony/fruity tang too.

Overall a decent quaffable ale.

3.75/5  rDev +13%

From a 12ounce bottle with a twist off cap. The beer pours a crisp orange copper color and is super clear. The snow white head rises fast and looks like a medium sponge onlyto fade fast.

The nose is sweet and hints at a fruity base. There is also slightest wet dog hit that I hope doesn't make it into the flavor. All in all a mild smelling beer that has some character.

The taste is what you would expect from an English pale ale. Mild mannered with a generous dose of malts and ever so slightly some light fruits. Smooth and slightly sweet tasting. Thankfully the wet dog hint never made it into the flavor.

The mouthfeel is smooth but backed by a nice punch of carbonation. Not to much but enough to give it a nice acidity. A really a nice session beer that goes down easy and is a joy to drink.

2.69/5  rDev -19%

Pours a not so pale amber. No head after a hard pour. Not lifeless, but certainly dull. No lace. It looks like rusty tea, or that time I peed blood.

Bread and butter aroma, with a little pungent yeasty fruit after swirling so hard I spilled.

Almost has "that homebrew taste". Sweet cereal, a bit of weedy hops, leading to a grainy and unsatisfying finish.

Mouthfeel was the highlight because it was the only part of this beer I don't have to think about.

Bluh.

3.46/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A - An attractive and bright gold. Looks very inviting. Fairly tall white head, which dissipates slowly.

S - Some fruity and floral notes, nothing really stands out however.

T - Nice. Nothing too special, but a little lemony. Mild.

M - Good mouthfeel. Smooth and satisfying, a little carbonated, but not overpowering.

Summary - Overall a good beer. Very drinkable and balanced. A neutral choice, which could be a disappoint to some, but if you're in the right mood, this is a good ale choice.

3.85/5  rDev +16%

It pours a golden amber with awesome clarity and a small, thin creamy head that fades fast but leaves creamy walls of lace down my New Belgium globe.

The smell is of freshly baked bread, grassy notes, some nutty notes, and floral hops.

The taste is very mild, bready, toasted nuts and floral qualities on the back end. Again, freshly baked bread. I think what makes this stand out from other mild, easy drinking beers is the taste of freshness.

Light bodied but not thin. Slightly creamy. Overall, a great session beer. Easy to drink summer guzzler.

3.23/5  rDev -2.7%

My host dad is a big Monty Python fan, so for a beer re-education evening that my sister put on, she picked this up specially for him.

Beer poured a rich copper/amber with a small white head that dissipated quickly without leaving much lacing as I drank.

It might be because my olfactory has never been my strongest sense, but I couldn't really pick up much in the nose of this to separate it from the pack. Light fruit sweetness, with a little backend of malt, but nothing that really stood out at all.

The taste had a little more profile than the nose, but, again, nothing to really set it apart. A little more sweet maltiness, but nothing memorable.

In the mouth it definitely feels very carbonated, but still goes down easily. Drinkable, but not one that I would seek out.

I have to admit that I boosted it's overall grade simply because I have an affinity for Monty Python. If I tried this in a blind taste, it would be the one I always forgot about. It's not a BAD beer, it's definitely drinkable, but there's nothing to set it apart.

3.45/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very cool and interesting label.

Appearance - Pours a clear golden orange color with a half finger off white head the dissipates quickly.

Smell - Smells of sweet yeasty malts with a nice light floral hoppiness.

Taste - Very malty taste with a nice hop flavor on the back end. A bit of a bready flavor as well.

Mouthfeel - Light carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass leads to a light-bodied feel. This beer is very crisp and smooth.

Drinkability - Pretty drinkable because it is smooth and light bodied with an OK taste.

This was an enjoyable selection but nothing spectacular. There are other ales that I prefer over this.

3.12/5  rDev -6%

Look: Copper in color with a 1/4 inch head and decent amount of retention with very little lace

Smell: Fruit notes from the hops citrus grapefruit and some sweetness from the malt

Taste: Heavy amount of malt made this beer a tad to sweet for me also detecting a little bit of honey and a slight hoppy note

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very little carbonation. Nothing special

Overall: Its not a bad beer but its not a good beer could be better if there was a bit more going on

2.95/5  rDev -11.1%

taster poured from a 12oz bottle @ Elegance. Thanks Carl!

pours a light copper color, monster head, good lacing.

pretty hoppy nose - floral, maybe a bit earthy (is that the burning witches?). flavor is utterly non-descript. not bad, not good. as others have mentioned, feels like 95% a monty python gimmick. there's waaaay to many beers out there to be drinking gimmicks!

3.08/5  rDev -7.2%

Mother-in-law brought a sixer over for Sunday dinner...very nice gesture.

I will call this beer...Beer. A very standard, average offering. Nothing more, nothing less.

Light copper color, a head that does not last...just a speck of lacing. A bit nicer looking than your average bmc.

A bit of spice in the scent...otherwise, not much to speak of. Some light grassy notes, no hoppy bite to speak of.

Certainly better than a standard bmc product, but nothing to write home about. A bit of malt, not so sweet...some sourness on the back end. Feels super-carbonated to me, but certainly easy to drink...a decent summer offering if anything.

Not a beer i'd seek out to drink, but one I'd hand off to my buddies who appreciate Monty Python shows/movies.

Clear amber, with thick head of foam that quickly settles to...no lace.

Aroma is malty -- yeasty bread. Average all the way.

Taste is crisp and light, I'll give it that much. There's just nothing going on here, and an almost corny adjunct feel. Bread, corn, little else.

Absolutely underwhelming. Nice novelty for Monty Python fans, but beer fans will want to avoid this one otherwise!

2.76/5  rDev -16.9%

I was genuinely surprised to see the group score on this was so high. Poured a 1/2" soap suds head which quickly dissipated to nothing. Hazy tea color. Smell had a hint of skunk but also a little hops and malt in it. Very mild ale in flavor but there's a little caramel. Really a thoroughly average beer to me. And my sample says it's from Rochester NY so it's not like it genuinely was imported. Anyway, fun name, but I'd say you buy this once due to the label and then move on to other things.

2.45/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance: Deep gold with a bright white bubbly 1/2 inch head.

Smell: Mild maltiness with a bit of biscuit and grain.

Taste: Mild malt sweetness with a bitter orange peel in the background and maybe a hint of apple. Possibly flawed in someway - Acetaldehyde.

Mouthfeel: Tart and astringent. for sure a bad beer.

Overall: Had this before with better luck but this one is flawed.

3.45/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Orange in color with lots of carbonation which made a big white head that went away quickly.

S- Smell is sweet and grainy, with some floral hops

T- Much like the smell, sweet malts up front with a mild hop finish

M- Light and heavily carbonated

Overall- This is a good beer, but way overpriced. Its a good beer for a warm sunny day but its pretty much just an easy drinking beer.

3.75/5  rDev +13%

Man do I love a good flight! 4oz. pour sampler for just a buck!

A - Poured a clear yellow with a mild bit of foam that disappears completely leaving no ring or lace.

S - Very faint grass and hop notes with a little bit of gain and grassy sweetness. Not really exciting.

T - Above average English pale. No real bitterness from the hops and mildly aggressive grain lead to easy drinking.

M - Light bodied. Could have a few of these if the price wasn't so high.

Overall I have had much better pale ales and this one was ok to sample but not really the full cost to buy a whole pint. Still very cool of Carnivores to do flights for beers like this so you don't throw down 5 bucks for something you didn't love. Pretty good beer.

3.69/5  rDev +11.1%

12. oz brown bottle--->Pint Glass. No freshness date. Brewed in Rochester, NY not in England.

A: Pours a clear copper color with a nice bubbly white head. Carbonation is ample. Retention is not good and neither is the lacing.

S: Malt sweetness and hops that are grassy. Also a faint aroma of some fruits.

T/M: Goes down smooth with a clean aftertaste. For the actual taste this beer is well balanced with nice chewy malts and solid hops. Some citrus with a little bit of a herbal kick.

O: Very good brew and easy to drink. Solid taste, nothing extra ordinary, yet I want another pint. Can't go wrong with that. especially since my first impression of the beer even before I tried it was that it had to be some novelty brew. I was wrong.

Cheers!!

3.03/5  rDev -8.7%

12 ounce bottle, bought as a single at World Market. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a dark golden color with an inch off-white head. Head retention is good with a decent amount of lacing. Aroma ia bready malt, grassy hops, dried fruit and some butterscotch. Taste is similar to the aroma, but it seems a bit weak compared to the aroma and there's also a slight bitter finish. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's a bit crisp and has good carbonation. I think it's an average overall brew. Worth trying if you can buy it as a single, but I wouldn't pay for a 4 or 6 pack of this to drink by myself.

3.77/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance. Pours golden copper with a finger of bubbly, just-off white head that fades quick.

Smell. Sweet, light malt with a little lemon and caramel.

Taste. Light grains and malt, some sour apple and a little fruit punch. Just a hint of hops.

Mouthfeel. Light bodied with medium carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

Overall. Great session beer here. Enough flavour to keep a guy interested, but light and crisp enough to drink a bunch.

3.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance - Frothy white head with low-medium retention. Pale bronze body.

Smell - Sweet and corny, sort of like an AAL or Malt Liquor.

Taste - Sweet and corny. Noticable alcohol in the finish. Sweet corn and alcohol in the aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel - Decent. Not particularly interesting, but overall not bad. Not much in the way of carbonation or body, but just enough volatility on the tongue to keep from feeling flat. An interesting style in its own right, but nothing to keep writing about.

Drinkability - I'd drink one just to say I had one. You know, it being Monty Python and all. But I don't see myself ever going out of my way to pick up another.

2.45/5  rDev -26.2%

[Best served in an English pint]

Poured a clear light brown with a large frothy white head that dissapated quickly and had fair lacing. The aroma was pleasant with the scent of caramel malts, a sweet yeast and a mild grassy hop. It tasted mildly sweet in the beginning and finished about the same with a hint of caramel and hops with the flavor being very light and fading quickly at the finish. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a soft carbonation. Overall a very, very mild tasting brew. I think I like the name better than the beer.

3.7/5  rDev +11.4%

I didn't really know what to expect from this one given the heavy marketing involved. However, it was a very tasty ale. I don't know what they paid in licensing fees but I'm sure the sales they get as a result will be worth every penny.

I'd recommend this to anyone who likes an easy-drinking Monty Python themed beer. If you like both of those things this is definitely the beer for you!

4.35/5  rDev +31%

I don't know what it is about this beer... it seems hard to find in the US, I've only seen it twice: New Orleans, and once on a snowboarding trip in the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC. But whether the name, or the taste, the scarcity... whatever, this is hands down my top brew right now.

It's just a damn good beer... like the Holy Grail, it cannot be described, only experienced.

4.07/5  rDev +22.6%

I purchased this at a local beer superstore. This is one of my favorite movies and the bottle caught my eye immediately. I chilled a mug and poured it from the bottle into the mug. The first thing I noticed is a nice color, it a light rust color. Then as I smelled it I couldnt wait any longer to drink it. It went down smooth with a little bite in the after taste. After I took one drink I couldnt wait to drink more. I drank six of them that night while watching a football game. I was very happy with this beer and will purchase it again.

Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale from Black Sheep Brewery PLC