Black Sheep Ale (Special) | Black Sheep Brewery PLC

good
Black Sheep Ale (Special)Black Sheep Ale (Special)

Black Sheep Brewery PLC

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

A very smooth taste

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Very impressive...Pours a medium amber colour with a thick crown and extensive glass cling on consumption.
Carbonation is medium and the body is medium/heavy.
Aroma is crisp and ever so slightly nutty.
The taste is hop orientated...start-middle-finish with no linger.
A true hop head's delight to which I am one.
Recomended.
Got to get some more of these.

4.65/5  rDev +25.7%

This is a good beer. No, I'm lying. This is a great beer. Though it won't be my highest rated, nor perhaps my favourite(though it will be damn close), this will perhaps be my most respected. Pours a ruby orange colour, with a head that's not quite two fingers. Plenty of victorian lace sticks to the glass, giving the impression that doilies are stuck on the glass. Beautiful to look at. First smell. Oooh, pleasant. I have the feeling after I eventually finish this divine nectar, my nose will still be inside the glass, sniffing at what once was. Big, bold malts, yeast and butter that reminds me of a bakery. Light pears and green apples. Even toffee. Smell this beer and the mind wanders to an old England countryside, where bicycles still outnumber the automobile. The taste. Oh, the taste. Beautiful. Big malt profile upfront, mellowed by a diacetyl flavour and texture. Soon follows a light fruit presence. Pears, apples and even a bit of apple cider. Toffee on the tongue as well, accompanied by a dark friend. Is it coffee? Could it be dark chocolate? I can't quite tell, but I also don't care. It's enjoyable, that's all that matters. For simplicity, I'll say it's both. Smooth, full bodied and heavy mouthfeel that gives the illusion I'm not drinking beer, I'm drinking nectar given by God himself. Drinkable. Too damn drinkable and too damn good. I've got half a glass left, and I don't want to finish it, knowing that once it's finished, it's gone. And I can't get another bottle for quite some time. A terrific beer. I highly suggest seeking this out to anyone and everyone who likes a good, wholesome ale.

4.62/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

blindfolded I might have mistaken this brew for a stout ... albeight an extra fruity one ... the bitterness is dominating, however there are hints of pink grapefruit, tangerines and cashew nuts in the palate as well .... a brew for the eclectic taste ...

4.58/5  rDev +23.8%

A- Comes in a cool bottle with a hop vine design at the bottom of the neck. I poured this into my mug fairly hard and the head didn't disappoint! It is thick, creamy, a tad off white and the retention is marvelous! The color is a mainly clear orange hued amber. The lacing is very sticky and clings very well to the side of my mug. One of the best looking beers that I've come across!

S- The aroma is a well balanced one. I can smell the sweet, smooth malts, followed by the typical fruit esters that should be found in an English Pale Ale and just a slight nuttiness. There is a fresh, leafy hop bitterness detectable on the finish as well.

T- Very nice flavors of malt, that are exceptionally smooth, with the floral/fruity notes give this a bit of a kick. There is some mild mineral astringency mixed in before the hops do their job on the sides of my palate.

M- The carbonation is very mild in this medium bodied brew. It is buttery smooth and gives my palate a very good coating, going from sweet to herbal to bitter. Very good!

D- This is my favorite category of beer and wish this is how our standard beers were made. I would love this one to be available on tap where I am. It's lower alcohol level makes this one easy to enjoy as a session beer and would go well with salty fried pub food! I will definitely buy this beer again! Just short of Fuller's London Pride but a strong second!

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

having the word "black" in the name threw me off but it looks tasty. Gorgeous orange maber glow with a 2 finger sticky off white head and lots of active carbonation. Brilliant clarity. Toasted biscuits and flowery hops on the nose.

Talk about a morning beer. Body a little light then expected but with brisk carbonation. Thin malts on the tip of the tongue followed by rich toasted whole wheat breads that rolls into burnt toast crusts. Faint buttery notes reminds you of heavily toasted whole grain rolls on a sunday morning. Underling euro hop bitterness comes in to play on the bready flavors while the linger in your mouth.

A very bready and sessionable beer. This will be my new standard for breakfast drinking.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

A - Pours pale orange/golden color with a white head that lingers and leaves some lacing on the glass as you drink it.

S - A little malty with some citrus notes

T - Same as the smell with a slight hop finish

M - This is the most memorable feature of the beer for me, it has a light creamy silky body

D - The taste combined with the mouth feel makes a very drink able beer. You know you are haveing a real ale, but yet you can drink more then one.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

The food: Shepherd's Pie. The drink: Black Sheep.

This was purchased for me by my in-laws while they were in England (shhh, don't tell them I can get it in Georgia) and brought back just for me. It poured a nice amber with a decent head that stuck with the beer as I drank it. It had less chunks that the Hen's Tooth I had from England (but chunks are okay). Perhaps this was because I gave this one more time to sit. Anyway, the cool thing about this beer is that I tasted and smelled flavors I've never tasted or smelled in beer before. The smell was like an English garden--lemongrass, cut grass, lemon thyme, orange blossom, and something floral like lavender, honeysuckle, or heather. The beer tasted great! It was well balanced between the carmelly and slightly buttery malts, the bitter and citrusy hops, and then, coming through toward the end of the glass, lemons, grapefruits, and tangerines. Also toward the end of the glass, a new garden smell came through--Mint. Really! My wife commented that it smelled more like clover, but I swear it was mint and could almost start to tast it. This beer started out so-so, but finished grand. All in all, it did very well with the somewhat greasy shepherd's pie that had cheddar cheese, onions, tabasco, and herbed mashed potatos. Nothing like pairing traditional English pub food with traditional English pub ale. High marks all around!

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance: This poured a clear orange amber color with a big white foamy head. It looks like a root beer float head due to the frothyness.

Smell: The aroma is lightly hoppy with some nice fruitiness.

Taste: Delicious. Id say the hops and malt flavor is fairly blended and even in balance. The fruit is nice but less apparent than it was in the nose. Nutty and sweet with just the right amount of bitterness. The more you drink the more the light floral hops kick in.

MF/d: This brew is smooth and tingly to the mouth but has an moderate feel. The 16.9 ounce size is PERFECT. It is very drinkable but that is plenty for me. After this one you will have quite the malt mouth.

4.47/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Orangish amber colored with a big head.

S: Caramel, malt, fruity esthers.

T: Lots of malt and yeasty goodness. Pear? Diacetyl butterry flavor. Hops are there, but buried.

M: Medium bodied and smooth. Finishes nicely.

This is really good, I may need to stock it in the cellar if I can find it again.

Black Sheep Ale (Special) from Black Sheep Brewery PLC