Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good
Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany
franziskaner-weissbier.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by Bierman9 on 11-08-2001

Ratings: 1,435 |  Reviews: 610
2.42/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured medium head with fine-small bubbles that quickly dissolved. There was not much lacing with this brew. There was carbonation observed rising to the top. It had a fruity, citrusy aroma to it. It was a thin and watery brew. The body was a light yellow. This brew reminded me too much of American mass-produced beers. This was disappointing.

2.44/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves almost no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, a decent hops burst, but a little skunkiness as well.

T: The taste starts out with a light sweetness that quickly fades into a mild & dry burst of hops bitterness and a pale flavor of grain. The after-taste is bready and bitter.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not very filling, definitely not one of the better beers in the style. I could drink a few of these, it would only be if I had very little else to choose from.

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured yellowish-golden with a thin, inconsistent head. Turned off by the smell, as it almost had a skunky characteristic. Can't say the taste was anything special either. It had a bready texture with more of a floral finish. Fortunately, it was very smooth going down. I expected better things, as I am typically a big fan of the Spaten line.

2.52/5  rDev -31.3%

Tonight's first sampling comes from Germany: Spaten Premium, which, on the bottle, actually says in tiny little letters: Malt Liquor. D'oh! On the Spaten website, however, this is labeled as "Spaten Premium Lager" stating that this brew is their specialty which they've been brewing since 1894.

The flavor profile on the website says: "golden in color with a well-balanced hop-flavor. The full rounded body is a superb balance between hops and a malty sweetness."

OG: 11.7%
ABV: 5.2%

Here's the Atlas Brew Review:
Taster's Note: This beer comes in a green 12 oz. bottle, poured into a British pint glass. I'm always leery of green bottles, especially for imported beers. The time it takes for the beer to get from the brewery, to the store, to my fridge and into my glass is way too long in a green bottle. For those of you who don't know, green bottles do not block nearly as much light as brown bottles, and light is a beer's worst enemy. Clear bottles offer no protection whatsoever. Light destroys beer, and lends to a skunky smell and flavor. This is classically seen in Rolling Rock, for example.

Color: straw, very light with a white head that has no retention.

Aroma: after swirling the beer a bit to get rid of some of the skunky smell, I could smell a very sweet grassy adjunct-loaded beer.

Flavor: I was concerned when I saw the "malt liquor" indication on the bottle...my thoughts were "what the hell is this?" If i wanted malt liquor, I would've bought a 40 of St. Ides! The flavor, though, was a very sweet, adjunct loaded taste up front with sweetness throughout. It ended with no hop flavor and no bitterness.

Overall: I would avoid getting this beer. Definitely not a good example of what Germany is capable of! The word "premium" on the bottle is a misleading representation of what you're about to drink. I'd rather drink a Pabst Blue Ribbon!

2.54/5  rDev -30.8%

On tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt.

It pours a pale and perfectly clear straw-yellow. A two finger head rests on top, retaining nicely and leaving a bit of lacing behind.

The aroma is light but clean, bordering on bland. It's lightly sweet and malty, a bit floral and soapy. Not bad, but there's not much to it.

The taste can pretty much be summarized by the word "meh", but since BA reviews require more characters than that, I guess I'll extrapolate. It's malty, clean, sweet without any hops to balance the malt; it fades into nothing. There's no finish, not much in the way of nuance. It's in no way terrible, but it is poorly balanced and extremely boring. The sweetness seems to stick to the palate after a while, which makes this difficult to drink in any large quantities.

2.56/5  rDev -30.2%

Gold in color with that euro lager smell.
average taste with a good feel to the mouth, clears nicely. Better that most american lagers, with exceptions of course. Overall not bad, but again falls short of american micro brews. Stay with the home team.

2.58/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

Reviewed 7/21/2007 (12oz bottle):

Pours a clearish yellow colored body, with an average whitish colored head. Has a malty fresh aroma. A nice clean taste, but has a watery palate. Some aroma of hops is present too. Has a crisp malty aftertaste. Somewhat refreshing.

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

Man, was I disappointed when I got this from Beer Poker - $2.50 for whatever bottle they pull out at the Flying Saucer. My buddy got Rogue Dead Guy and another 60 Minute IPA - nobody would trade me. It could have been disappointment in poker but my general impression was this one was not impressive. A Dinkle Acker of Prima Pils is more my style, this one's a bit bitter, more of a Euro Lager in appeance and smell. Easy enough to drink but I won't pick this one again (but will probably play Beer Poker again).

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

Pale yellow beer with thin little head. Does last a while though. Smells more like today's mexican beers (i know a lot of the mexican beers were started by german brewers that traveled to mexico) more than a german. Nice tart kind of taste. Kind of creamy with hints of corn. Mouthfeel is smooth and easy going down. Drinkabililty is fair. Crisp refreshing.

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

This beer was lighter yellow in color. To me it was just like a typically, standard beer. What you think of when you hear the word beer. It has an herbal, almost grassy taste and was pretty smooth. Not my favorite, but what I did like about this beer was that it has a super clean finish and did not leave a horrible after taste!

2.66/5  rDev -27.5%

This was an interesting sample I had at a college bar which really surprised me in its range of quality.

A: Appeared much like any Bavarian lager, a little malty head and that light brown color that didnt impress, but wasnt bad

S: A mix of grass and motor oil, unpleasantly shocking on first wiff, I couldn't believe how strong it was. Not its strong suit

T: Too malty for me, not exactly my thing, its just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

M: Suprisingly heavy malt mouthfeel, it really seemed to be weighed down by that. Similar to malt liquor

D: Went down reasonbly smooth. It really wasn't something I could have more than two of, but if you do like strong smelling malted lagers (the smell overpowered me) then this would be very agreeable

2.68/5  rDev -27%

2.72/5  rDev -25.9%

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer had great promise. I was told by the owner of the shop I bought it from that it's one of the best lagers on the market. But as soon as I smelled it i knew he was wrong. Maybe it was skunked, cause this thing smelled foul. Good color, loads of bubbles, look was great. Mouthfeel light. Taste was ok. Slightly more complex than a bud. Not buying this again, not asking that dude what he reccomends again.

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu