Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good
Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany
franziskaner-weissbier.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by Bierman9 on 11-08-2001

Ratings: 1,428 |  Reviews: 608

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

2.74/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This was very reminiscent of Heineken but skunkier. It's probably due to the duration of shipping. It's wasn't particularly great but I'll drink it if it's available. I wasn't too impressed though. I would like to try their other beers for sure.

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

4.28/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my favorite beers. Very reminiscent of the beer I had at Oktoberfest in Munich (view my avatar)

Beer pours a light gold colour. Lots of carbonation.

Smell is little on the heavier side. Not offensive though.

Taste is what a beer should be. Strong, but not too strong. A little too much aftertaste for my liking, but I will deal with it.

As stated before, this beer has lots of carbonation. Goes down a little harsher then desired.

Overall I love this beer. So glad I had the chance to sample in the beer fests of all beer fests. Give this one a try. Does not disappoint.

MB

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

500 ml can from LCBO into a pint glass.

Appearance - Clear golden color is poured into glass, nice 1-1.5 fingers of foam with some lingering and leaving minimal lacing.

Smell - Grassy, with some nice mild hops smell. A trace of metallicness is also present which drags this rating down a bit.

Taste - Similar to the smell, nothing over-powering just really nice blend of hops and malts. Metallic smell is not reflected in taste at all.

Mouthfeel - Smooth mouthfeel, with nice sharp dryness at the end that adds a crispness but it's not too much. Great balance.

Overall - One of my favorite German beers that isn't substantially better than most in any particular area, but the little differences add up to make a great brew as compared with a merely good one.

Edit** January 31, 2015. I've had this beer on a number of occasions since my last formal review, since it's one of my everyday great drinking beers. You want to sit down with a beer and not think about it but just enjoy it, this might beer the beer for you. Anyway, I' haven't noticed any sort of metallicness in probably the last ten times I've had this so, this score deserves a half point bump in the aroma department.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

1D
Light golden color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. Rich bready pilsner malt with a hint of carmelization and some light fruity notes. DMS was quite evident upon first pour but seems to have mostly dissipated. Light floral hop aroma. The flavor is rich toasty sweet bready caramel maltiness with a hint of light sweet fruit. Light earthy spicy hop flavor with a light level of hop bitterness. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet rich malty mouthfeel. Nice flavorful malt forward beer. The DMS was a bit heavy at first, I'm glad that went away. I could drink many of these given half a chance.

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu