Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good
Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany
franziskaner-weissbier.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by Bierman9 on 11-08-2001

Ratings: 1,429 |  Reviews: 608
4.62/5  rDev +25.5%

This here lager, ladies and gentlemen, is the bees' knees. I spent many years living in Germany (10+) which is where I acquired my taste for German beer. This was the first. This is a perfect example of German brewing at its best, in my not so humble opinion. The taste is first-class and although a poured glass doesn't leave a whole lotta lacing around, it suffices. The smell can come across as skunky/grassy but it's the taste that matters.

I buy this lager on a constant basis here in NY. And much to my surprise, and pleasure, I obtained a 12-pack the other day from a local distributor with a bottling stamp of 02/16. Can you say fresh?
Yessssss!!!!

Love this stuff.

4.6/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

16 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Crystal-clear golden yellow color, with a thick off-white head that lasts for quite a while.

Smell: Great spices, grains, a tad bit of fruit, and a dash of hops.

Taste: It's like the smell, only better! Very well balanced and refreshing. My only complaint is that while there's a lot of interesting flavors, the complexity isn't very striking.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, very smooth. Just the right amount of carbonation as well.

Drinkability: An extremely drinkable lager that you could keep drinking all night.

This is certainly the best Munich Helles Lager that I've had (and I've tried a fair number). Better than the other in every respect: looks better, smell and taste is more balanced and/or "refined." Easy and nice to drink for practically any occasion. This will definitely be on my next shopping list.

4.56/5  rDev +23.9%

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Reviewed on April 21.

A: Clear, yellow liquid with an airy, crisp head. Lovely "classic lager"-foam. A lot of CO2, looks great!

S: Lager yeast, pilsner malt, swedish hard bread (knäckebröd) and weak citrus aroma.

T: Sweet pilsner malts and great bready taste. I love malty bread taste in a lager so this is right up my alley. Some syrup taste after half a bottle, still very nice. No unpleasant surprises, not even after the last sip.

M: Light and crisp. Just like a lager's supposed to be. Thumbs up

D: 100% drinkable! Great thirst quencher and goes down very easily. Probably my favorite bavarian hell atm.

...and it's quite cheap here in Sweden! How do they do it? :)

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Looks decent enough for a lager yellow in colour with a white head.

This smells skunky with an aroma of hops and flowers. Some people don't like the green bottle skunk but I do.

Tastes great, probably my favourite lager. Its got bitter hops and is somewhat complex.

Nicely carbonated and refreshing.

A good session beer and a definite step up from the usual lager.

4.54/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the tap at Otto's in Willow Grove, PA. The appearance is a clear gold color with a white head. The aroma was full of malt with some yeast. The taste matched the aroma and had a very smooth palate.

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.52/5  rDev +22.8%

poured from the bottle into an imperial pint glass

A- straw yellow with a big white head from an aggressive pour. very little lacing on the glass. A good looking German beir

S- exactly what a german should smell like. some confuse a skunk smell with a perfectly balanced offering from Munich. This beir was the later.

T- wonderful, a sheer joy. crisp and clean with a balance of hops. Perfect smooth finish. I think I am in love.

M- just what this style should, be thin with some carbonation adding to the ease of drinkablility.

D- the ultimate easy drinker. So crisp so refreshing, this my friends is what a Munich Helles lager should be like.

If you ever find yourself saying " I want something similar to (although slightly different style) a Heineken, but good" - this is your beer. This is one of my go to beirs.

This is one of the finest beirs on the planet, a monumental achivement.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the beer to give to your friend who has no clue and loves the domestic light crap. This is a true, real LIGHT BEER. 4 60

4.51/5  rDev +22.6%

I realize I am new to beer, but I love this one! So smooth & easy. It is a lovely color with great bubbles. It drinks very easy with a good mouth feel. I originally had it in a German restaurant with an order of spaetzle. I have had it since without food just as an evening beer & was still very pleased.
I only wish it didn't have to be special ordered where I live...

4.51/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poor - from a 12oz bottle - Nice easy poor, about a finger soapy head. Head settles down quickly to a thin top lacing. Very light lacing on the sides.

Appearance - 14k gold/straw, light amber. Very clear, almost no carbonation.

Nose - Very nice. Light Bohemian pilsner barley malt; bready/biscuit. Very nice light Hallertau, floral/grass/lemon. Very balanced, very light pleasant, rounded nose.

Mouthfeel - light, a little fizzy, a little watery... easy drinking.

Taste - Very balanced German/Bavarian pils/lager. What more is there to say, nothing really. Atypical Euro/German/Bavarian Pils/Lager. Pils barley malt, Hallertau hops, well balanced; a little grain, a little grass/floral/lemon. Nice light bitterness. No sweetness really, like in a Heineken.

Finish - Very nice light lasting finish. No off flavors. Floral, sour lemon. Dry, granny smith apple crisp.

Overall - Very nice beer. I love their website, they have all the pertinent info right there. One of the oldest breweries in Europe. This is a world class beer for sure. Very nice taste and finish. But honestly, it's not much different from Heineken and when I can get Heineken for half the price; well... I'm fine with the Heiny.

Food Pairings - honestly, pretty much everything. A great dinner beer.

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu