Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)
3.68/5
Good
Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany
franziskaner-weissbier.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by Bierman9 on 11-08-2001

Ratings: 1,445 |  Reviews: 612

2.52/5  rDev -31.5%

Tonight's first sampling comes from Germany: Spaten Premium, which, on the bottle, actually says in tiny little letters: Malt Liquor. D'oh! On the Spaten website, however, this is labeled as "Spaten Premium Lager" stating that this brew is their specialty which they've been brewing since 1894.

The flavor profile on the website says: "golden in color with a well-balanced hop-flavor. The full rounded body is a superb balance between hops and a malty sweetness."

OG: 11.7%
ABV: 5.2%

Here's the Atlas Brew Review:
Taster's Note: This beer comes in a green 12 oz. bottle, poured into a British pint glass. I'm always leery of green bottles, especially for imported beers. The time it takes for the beer to get from the brewery, to the store, to my fridge and into my glass is way too long in a green bottle. For those of you who don't know, green bottles do not block nearly as much light as brown bottles, and light is a beer's worst enemy. Clear bottles offer no protection whatsoever. Light destroys beer, and lends to a skunky smell and flavor. This is classically seen in Rolling Rock, for example.

Color: straw, very light with a white head that has no retention.

Aroma: after swirling the beer a bit to get rid of some of the skunky smell, I could smell a very sweet grassy adjunct-loaded beer.

Flavor: I was concerned when I saw the "malt liquor" indication on the bottle...my thoughts were "what the hell is this?" If i wanted malt liquor, I would've bought a 40 of St. Ides! The flavor, though, was a very sweet, adjunct loaded taste up front with sweetness throughout. It ended with no hop flavor and no bitterness.

Overall: I would avoid getting this beer. Definitely not a good example of what Germany is capable of! The word "premium" on the bottle is a misleading representation of what you're about to drink. I'd rather drink a Pabst Blue Ribbon!

2.54/5  rDev -31%

On tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt.

It pours a pale and perfectly clear straw-yellow. A two finger head rests on top, retaining nicely and leaving a bit of lacing behind.

The aroma is light but clean, bordering on bland. It's lightly sweet and malty, a bit floral and soapy. Not bad, but there's not much to it.

The taste can pretty much be summarized by the word "meh", but since BA reviews require more characters than that, I guess I'll extrapolate. It's malty, clean, sweet without any hops to balance the malt; it fades into nothing. There's no finish, not much in the way of nuance. It's in no way terrible, but it is poorly balanced and extremely boring. The sweetness seems to stick to the palate after a while, which makes this difficult to drink in any large quantities.

2.56/5  rDev -30.4%

Gold in color with that euro lager smell.
average taste with a good feel to the mouth, clears nicely. Better that most american lagers, with exceptions of course. Overall not bad, but again falls short of american micro brews. Stay with the home team.

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

Reviewed 7/21/2007 (12oz bottle):

Pours a clearish yellow colored body, with an average whitish colored head. Has a malty fresh aroma. A nice clean taste, but has a watery palate. Some aroma of hops is present too. Has a crisp malty aftertaste. Somewhat refreshing.

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

Man, was I disappointed when I got this from Beer Poker - $2.50 for whatever bottle they pull out at the Flying Saucer. My buddy got Rogue Dead Guy and another 60 Minute IPA - nobody would trade me. It could have been disappointment in poker but my general impression was this one was not impressive. A Dinkle Acker of Prima Pils is more my style, this one's a bit bitter, more of a Euro Lager in appeance and smell. Easy enough to drink but I won't pick this one again (but will probably play Beer Poker again).

2.65/5  rDev -28%

Pale yellow beer with thin little head. Does last a while though. Smells more like today's mexican beers (i know a lot of the mexican beers were started by german brewers that traveled to mexico) more than a german. Nice tart kind of taste. Kind of creamy with hints of corn. Mouthfeel is smooth and easy going down. Drinkabililty is fair. Crisp refreshing.

2.65/5  rDev -28%

This beer was lighter yellow in color. To me it was just like a typically, standard beer. What you think of when you hear the word beer. It has an herbal, almost grassy taste and was pretty smooth. Not my favorite, but what I did like about this beer was that it has a super clean finish and did not leave a horrible after taste!

2.66/5  rDev -27.7%

This was an interesting sample I had at a college bar which really surprised me in its range of quality.

A: Appeared much like any Bavarian lager, a little malty head and that light brown color that didnt impress, but wasnt bad

S: A mix of grass and motor oil, unpleasantly shocking on first wiff, I couldn't believe how strong it was. Not its strong suit

T: Too malty for me, not exactly my thing, its just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

M: Suprisingly heavy malt mouthfeel, it really seemed to be weighed down by that. Similar to malt liquor

D: Went down reasonbly smooth. It really wasn't something I could have more than two of, but if you do like strong smelling malted lagers (the smell overpowered me) then this would be very agreeable

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

2.72/5  rDev -26.1%

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

This beer had great promise. I was told by the owner of the shop I bought it from that it's one of the best lagers on the market. But as soon as I smelled it i knew he was wrong. Maybe it was skunked, cause this thing smelled foul. Good color, loads of bubbles, look was great. Mouthfeel light. Taste was ok. Slightly more complex than a bud. Not buying this again, not asking that dude what he reccomends again.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Another German pilsner... So much of these out there. The beer is a hellish gold color with fluffy white head on it. The brew is light bodied and has flavors of some hops, malts and fresh cut grass. The grassy flavors aren't too strong in the this which is nice. I can drink this beer if I have too, I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

It has an herbal, almost grassy taste and was pretty smooth.
Color: Golden yellow
Smell: Had a wheaty smell
Taste: maltier, balanced, hint of hops, herbal taste with wheat or grass taste.
Carbonation: little carbonation
Head: very tiny head with light to none hold
Mouthfeel: light mouthfeel
Extra: Didn't particularly care for this beer. It was your average run of the mill beer. The taste was identical to that of Coors or Heineken.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Middle of the road helles, nothing too remarkable here, but overall a decent helles. Appearance is lacking some color (pale golden ) and head (very spare). Aroma is malt, taste is mostly malt, hops barely make an appearance here. Much better to be found in germany.

2.74/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This was very reminiscent of Heineken but skunkier. It's probably due to the duration of shipping. It's wasn't particularly great but I'll drink it if it's available. I wasn't too impressed though. I would like to try their other beers for sure.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%