Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good
Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany | website

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by Bierman9 on 11-08-2001

Reviews: 601 | Ratings: 1,381
3.52/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: The straw color was a bit darker in this lager. There's very little head, which fades quickly.

Smell: The first scent upon opening the bottle was a hoppy skunkiness (not in a bad way). There's a sweet odor too, maybe honey. Some mild lacing is present.

Taste: Very crisp and clean with some of the earlier mentioned skunkiness.

Mouthfeel: Very light and bubbly with an almost dry after-feel.

Overall: Spaten Premium Lager is a decent beer to try. It's not my favorite style, but I could see myself getting an itch that this style could scratch on occasion. I don't think I would buy it the majority of the time, however. It's a good lighter choice for when you don't want to sacrifice taste like some other *cough*Americanmacrolagers*cough* light choices.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

This is one of the lagers I look to when I want something tasty and light to drink. This and a few other pilsners and lagers make up what I mostly drink when not putting down some other more substantial ales and porters.

A: A good looking light golden color pointing to its all malt heritage. Nothing corny looking here.

S: Again the light sweetness of the malts come through with a slight amount of hops.

T: The taste is light in potency yet still enjoyable with moderate malt flavors kept in check by the appropriately balancing hops on the finish. Not very floral in hops, but not just pure bitterness either.

M: Crisp and light. Perfect on a warm day.

D: Easily put away quite a few of these.

Overall, a very good beer and fun to drink without having to get blown away or too serious.

2.52/5  rDev -31.3%

Tonight's first sampling comes from Germany: Spaten Premium, which, on the bottle, actually says in tiny little letters: Malt Liquor. D'oh! On the Spaten website, however, this is labeled as "Spaten Premium Lager" stating that this brew is their specialty which they've been brewing since 1894.

The flavor profile on the website says: "golden in color with a well-balanced hop-flavor. The full rounded body is a superb balance between hops and a malty sweetness."

OG: 11.7%
ABV: 5.2%

Here's the Atlas Brew Review:
Taster's Note: This beer comes in a green 12 oz. bottle, poured into a British pint glass. I'm always leery of green bottles, especially for imported beers. The time it takes for the beer to get from the brewery, to the store, to my fridge and into my glass is way too long in a green bottle. For those of you who don't know, green bottles do not block nearly as much light as brown bottles, and light is a beer's worst enemy. Clear bottles offer no protection whatsoever. Light destroys beer, and lends to a skunky smell and flavor. This is classically seen in Rolling Rock, for example.

Color: straw, very light with a white head that has no retention.

Aroma: after swirling the beer a bit to get rid of some of the skunky smell, I could smell a very sweet grassy adjunct-loaded beer.

Flavor: I was concerned when I saw the "malt liquor" indication on the bottle...my thoughts were "what the hell is this?" If i wanted malt liquor, I would've bought a 40 of St. Ides! The flavor, though, was a very sweet, adjunct loaded taste up front with sweetness throughout. It ended with no hop flavor and no bitterness.

Overall: I would avoid getting this beer. Definitely not a good example of what Germany is capable of! The word "premium" on the bottle is a misleading representation of what you're about to drink. I'd rather drink a Pabst Blue Ribbon!

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Found on-tap at JP McGrady's in Bethlehem, PA

Very light color and a decent pure white head. The less-educated folks at my table assumed that I was drinking some sort of domestic megaswill. They were, fortunately, wrong. A noseful of hops with some malt. Good taste with a hit of hops early and nice amount of sweetness. Nice, light, and crisp with ample carbonation. A bit astringent, but it comes with the territory. I'm not a huge hops fan, so the drinkability is hurt a bit by having to work through the initial taste. Still a quality brew and a proper representative of this genre.

3.67/5  rDev 0%

A. This beer pours nicely into the glass with a nice 1 1/2 inch of white foamy head. A nice light yellowish tint, with a decent amount of carbonation rising to the top of the glass.

S. Good smelling German Lager. Your original smell of a good German beer meeting the Puritan law. You can smell this beer and know its a German beer.

T. This beer is very pleasant to the mouth. Light bodied, with a good taste of the grains and a hint of the yeast. Not an over powering taste of Hops. Just the right amount to balance this beer as a true drinkable Lager. Well balanced and true to its original taste.

M. The mouthfeel of this beer is one of its strong points. It activates your taste buds and it really pairs well with meats at dinner.

D. A great "Go To" beer when you want really want to have a beer with Dinner.

3.78/5  rDev +3%

A- Golden fizzy color, I've had this on tap and bottle. The head that comes out of the tap is huge, out of the bottle ...not so much.

S- Hoppy semi skunky smell, I pick up oats and barley as well.

T- I get hops and alot of grains, finishes off with a slight sweet aftertaste. I'm not a golden beer drinker but this stuff is pretty darn good. I go to a German restaurant here in Colorado and get it on tap in a 2L boot (das boot).

M- Thin, fizzy, and watery.

D- Eight bucks a six pack this stuff goes down real smooth, it appears to me like a Bud or Coors (American domestic) but when I gulp it down I know it's much more than just that. I'm a dark heavy beer drinker but when I'm looking for something light, golden, and semi inexpensive ...I'll reach for this lager.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I stopped by Total Wine looking for a good imported lager. I came across the Spaten so I decided to buy it.

This beer looks great in a pilsner glass. It has exceptional head and a nice light golden color. The smell is incredible. All lagers should smell like this. It has a great hops smell. the taste is superb! Wow! Why can't all Lagers taste this great? I can actually taste the hops and it does not have a mineral aftertaste. It's a very crisp tasting beer. It's 100 degrees out and I'm enjoying with this Spaten.

If you like lagers you need to buy this beer! It's delicious!

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into a pint glass a very pale clear gold. An unusual color. A bright white fizzy 2 finger head. Some lacing. Mild lemony citrus smell. A near perfect mixture of sweet malts and bitter hops, a crisp earthy taste. Nice medium light body with good carbonation. So smooth going down. Good aftertaste. Refreshing and sessionable. This is definitely one of my favorite overall breweries. They can do no wrong.

4.31/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great beer! Another readily available high quality brew when I moved to Toronto in early 2010 from WV. I was like a kid in a candy store..sure craft brews were big then in the US but all we were getting were IPA's and im not a fan. Happily , selections have expanded since I moved back last summer.. but man my time in Canada really opened my eyes to some really great beers.

To the point, this is a perfect example of the style. At the same time it has a distinguishing flavor to it that sets it apart from its peers. A very subtle fruity dryness is how i describe it.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured into my pilsner glass a pale gold color, with high carbonation feeding a medium white head.

Smell: Understated sweet bready aromas. Not much happening here, but no "off" smells like skunking or the like. Pleasant enough.

Taste: Starts with light malt sweetness leading to a citric lemon-like taste with a dry, herbal hop finish with the faintest hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thin, soft, the relatively high carbonation is easily detected here.

Drinkability: As a lighter lager this one is emminently drinkable, a perfect session beer if you're in the mood for uncomplicated, quality lager.

If what you want is a simple thirst quencher clearly made from quality ingredients, or just a nice beer to keep around for guests accustomed to macro lager, this is certainly worth considering. I think I'll pour another one now.

3.45/5  rDev -6%

I'm not really a light beer drinker; with that said, this is my favorite light lager. It's great for times when I want something to go with a small, light, snack.

Mouthfeel is nice and clean, like a light beer should be. It has a nice clean balanced flavor that isn't biased; it's usually a little light for my taste, but is just right when I'm in the mood for something that won't fill me up.

3.21/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured form a 12oz. green bottle into my stella artois glass. Got this form a Spatan variety pack. Every brewery needs to make a variety pack, I love them.

A: Pours a clean golden yellow color with a big soapy bubble white head which is receding as I'm typing this. So far its playing the helles part well.

S: Has that wonderful musky, grainy, skunk like quality I get from a lot of German beers. Getting a bit of an earthy notes as well. Nothing earth shattering here, wished it had a bit more malt profile kinda classic green bottle smell.

T: Starts off with a slight hoppy fizzy carbonation burn at first. The middle is a lot quicker, its a cleansing watery like taste that quickly transfers to a brief sweet then lingering German musky,grainy, skunk flavor I was getting from the aroma. Reminds me of their Oktoberfest, but not as sweet. Pretty boring here.

M: The mouthfeel is probably the best part of this beer it has a good medium thickness to it, you can tell that this beer has no adjuncts in it.

O: This beer is average at best it feels like every other green bottled euro beer to me and does nothing to set itself apart from the middle of the road.

2.66/5  rDev -27.5%

This was an interesting sample I had at a college bar which really surprised me in its range of quality.

A: Appeared much like any Bavarian lager, a little malty head and that light brown color that didnt impress, but wasnt bad

S: A mix of grass and motor oil, unpleasantly shocking on first wiff, I couldn't believe how strong it was. Not its strong suit

T: Too malty for me, not exactly my thing, its just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

M: Suprisingly heavy malt mouthfeel, it really seemed to be weighed down by that. Similar to malt liquor

D: Went down reasonbly smooth. It really wasn't something I could have more than two of, but if you do like strong smelling malted lagers (the smell overpowered me) then this would be very agreeable

3.22/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours estremely pale with frothy, white head. Good lacing. Extremely clear with champagne-like carbonation. Spicy, floral hop aroma with light malt character. Moderately hoppy flavor with a slightly dry finish. Fairly well balanced. A little bit of skunk. Crisp and clean.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

i got this at trader joes for $1 in the mix-n-match place. i saw it at wal-mart last time i was there. i'm not sure i've drank this before. it's been in the freezer for 2 hours.

serving type: bottle
appearance: drinkin from bottle. :(
smell: light hops
taste: malt and citcus. it's like mineral water and heineken
mouthfeel: slightly over average
drinkability: this comes off as kind of a high class beer. i think it's mainly the label. there's like 5 or 6 imported beers with the same-looking label and taste as this. i'm not real interested in the flavor. i'm not going to buy a six of it anytime soon. it was nice to visit.

the label says: MALT LIQUOR. good! i was feeling cheap. ;)

A very light golden color with a thick foam head that disapates quickly.

Smells of malt with a slight fruit hint. Very good lager smell.

Very heavy and light at the same time. I nice malt flavor with little traces of alcohol. Very delicious and refreshing.

Fells just plain good in your mouth. Not to heavy, not to light but a great drinking beer.

This beer is a flat out great lager. Light but still has the full body of a full flavored beer. Would be great for grilling or a bar-b-que.

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Has a nice dark golden yellow color. Pours with a nice thick head with tinny bubbles that lace the litre glass as they recede. Has a definite aroma of Vienna malt with a light hop aroma. Malty is how I would describe the taste and aroma of this great German brew.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

A - Darker yellow, head was about a finger width, disappeared rather fast.

S - Smell started off slightly skunky, almost resembled Heineken, slight honey smell.

T - Crisp, clean, malty and dry, awesome.

M - Medium body, smooth, kind of fizzy.

D - Probably one of the most enjoyable beers I've had in it's category. Easy to drink, smooth aftertaste, goes down really really easy.

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Light yellow with a white head. A nice colorful beer.

Smell: Hoppy. Makes the nose feel pretty good.

Taste: A nice tasting Lager. Malty, a little bitter (I like bitter). If its not bitter, its not German. They seem to get it right.

Mouthfeel: Very pleasent feel. Makes the mouth feel good but a little much on the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, especially on a hot day. Not my first pick to buy but I won't turn one down when offered. I have been to Germany many times and drank alot of beer. Even made the Octoberfest once. I wish I had written down each beer I drank. If I could have held a pen.

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Crystal clear pale straw with a beautiful white one finger head. Some light lacing.

S- Rich munich malt with some light pilsner. Fresh baked vienna bread with some spicy hops notes.

T- Rich bread and malt. Spicy hops with very faint citrus.

M- A little warm so a slight carbonic edge. Finish dry but malty. Above average for the style.

D- I love this one. You can roll through these no problem. This is the best style of a munich helles available commercially when fresh.

P.S. Try this in the gallon and a half keg and you get a lot more malt character. It's a little creamier too. Tastes a lot fresher and the setup reminds you of a traditional tap you would see in germany; except more modern.

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

A- An atractive clear golden colour, with decent 1 1/2 finger head( 2 if you try for it)

S- A hint of skunk from the first bit of each bottle that seemed to go away pretty fast. Otherwise a decent hop smell.

T- Like a good German beer should taste with a bit more malt than usual which makes it interesting.

M- dry hop finish with a bit of malt.

D- Definitely easy to drink a few of these any time, especially if you enjoy a good crisp beer,

Last note, I would say its best to drink these not too long after you get them, the last one of my pack had skunked before I got to it(a couple of weeks time). besides that its a decent beer.

3.86/5  rDev +5.2%

Quite honest and good münchner beer. Better than most of the german lagers, like Warsteiner, Löwenbräu and Bitburger.
Excellent taste, nice smell, very good appearance and drinkability. Good balance among malt, yeast and hops. It worth a try, for sure.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Spatenbräu is credited as the originator of the Helles Lager style, and 110-odd years down the line, things are pretty much what you might expect.

This beer pretty much exactly fits the guidelines of a standard light lager, and, as such, is mildly malty, barely hoppy, and straw-colored. It is a good beer. Good, not great. The highly industrialized origin of the ingredients is apparent in the flavor, but this beats the hell out of anything you're going to find from a large brewery in the U.S., so there you go.

This beer is purely average, but by European standards, that still means good.

4.84/5  rDev +31.9%

Spaten, the spade, is one of my top 5 beers in the world. It has a nice golden color, perfect aromoa to it, and by far the best taste.
It goes well with any food, which is a plus, and you can drink it year round. It will take the chill away in the winter and cool you down in the summer. Try it and you will be hooked.

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%

One of the regulars on my line up. Spaten Premium is great from the bottle or from the sweet mini keg, what ever you can find it in it's worth sharing.

Appearance- Great example of a Helles Lager, very light in color, darker then a pilsner but not by much, pours a quick settling head with light character and has constant bubble movement.

Smell- pretty basic as far as what I consider a light beer, majority of the aroma is malt, I can't really pick up any hoppyness but it's a light lager not an IPA.

Taste- The taste is great for the quick pick beer, if you don't want a dubbel or a stout or any heavy malt or an offending arrogant bastard IPA this is the great beer of balance. Very simple taste, subtle malt, light yeast, almost no bitterness, nice balance.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth, same consistency as water, light and no where near offensive.

Drinkability- This rates perfect as far as drinkability goes, its so basic it can't go wrong. Nothing offensive and no problem drinking this all night. I have no problem welcoming this guy into my house once a month for a safe bet berr.

I am a very strong supporter of all Spaten works. They make great beer and this is their way of a balanced smooth light beer. The Premium evens out their line up as far as intensity goes, holding the reins of the Optimator. Safe bet as you'll ever get, the way to go for a great simple beer, that doesn't taste like a macro corn brew from the cheap bud and coors.

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu