Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Todd on 11-13-2001

Reviews: 1,588 | Ratings: 3,861
4.51/5  rDev +11.6%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

This was the first hefe-weiss I ever tried, and given that the local distributor was having a bit of trouble getting at it, I have been without this beer for several months of perfect Hefe weather. Alas, it was indeed as good as I remembered it, and well worth the wait.

Appearance is really fantastic, possibly the best hefe I've ever seen. A cloudy orange-yellow body topped with a delicately-fluffy white foamy head that looks more like it belongs on an ice cream float than a beer. The head literally floats around on the top of the brew for the first few swallows, but is light and airy enough to never get in the way of the beer.

Scent is very nice, with good-quality hints of clove and banana mixed in with the very to-style citrus nose. A very sweet aroma that just invites me into the beer even further.

Taste is another highlight, with banana notes taking over the rest of the beer and yet balanced by a nice "kick" in the alcohol and various other sweetness departments. This is one of the sweetest-tasting beers I've ever tried that wasn't an "obvious" attempt at a sweet beer (i.e. a Chocolate Stout).

Mouthfeel is also very nice, coating the tongue and mouth admirably without being cloying. I find myself tasting the brew for a bit even after finishing the beer, but I still find it goes pretty well with anything and washes down smooth.

Overall drinkability is as high as I can give a beer. I bought a case at Great Spirits the other night, and I'm already starting to worry that they may not last me all that long. Probably the best hefe-weizen I've ever tasted, and given my position in the heat of the south it says a lot that I can enjoy it so much.

This was also the first craft beer I ever tried that wasn't available in grocery stores, so maybe I have just a tad bit of history with this brew. I plan on drinking these off and on for the rest of my life.

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%

This was a really good beer. It had a lot of citrus.

Appearance- cloudy, dark yellowish color, good size head

Smell- banana aroma with some citrus

Taste- wheaty , lemon very good

Mouthfeel- creamy, very nice

Drinkability- very drinkable, would drink it regularly

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%

I poured into a pint glass to three fingers of rich, pillowy white head. I immediately got the banana smell as I poured. It is orange in the center with cloudy golden highlights. As I took a whiff I got the aforementioned banana along with cloves. The taste is banana cream and clove along with some lemon. This has a creamy mouthfeel to compliment the taste and aroma. This is a pretty damn good hefeweizen.

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer on tap at my favorite German Restaurant, Black Forest Mills in Highland Mills, NY or from a half liter brown bottle into a tulip glass at Richie's in Fort Montgomery, NY.

Appearance: Golden to organgy yellow. Cloudy as it should be. Stirring up the sediment from the bottle is a must.

Smell: Heavy on the banana. Lighter on the clove than some but that is to my taste. THe smell of bread wheat comes out. Let the beer warm a bit to get all you can from this one.

Taste: Sweetness, bready, smoothness of wheaty bananas

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy carbonation. Medium body.

Overall: I cannot find a thing wrong. Sweet and banana-y like I like them! I am going to build a homebrew recipe to replicate this with one minor tweak....I am going to add some oats to build a little more creaminess into the body. This with a good sausage platter is a world class treat. I like this beer with sharp cheese but the German food platters are just too dang authentic not to have with this.

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%

This is yet another beer I have drank many times in the past, but had yet to give a proper review. The beer pours to a hazy light golden yellow color with a nice fluffy white head that sticks around throughout the duration of the beer, but doesn't stick to the side of the glass well. Carbonation is present, but not too bubbly.

Smells strong banana and clove with a generous helping of spicy sweetness from the wheat malt.

The taste follows the nose quite well. Starts off with a nice banana kick with a nice sweet and spicy middle and a clove finish. This is probably my favorite German Hefe, and it just so happens to be quite affordable compared to others. Drinkability is amazing.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 16.9oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance: It pours very cloudy and has a wonderful orangey yellow golden color with a big creamy white head. The head has great retention and makes nice lacing.

Smell: The aroma has earthy/fruity yeast character with notes of banana, clove and lemony citrus.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor has a smooth creamy malty wheat flavor with a big earthy yeast influence. There are notes of banana and clove with some light hints citrus and hops. It all finishes with dry dusty yeast and very mild hops with citrusy lemon flavors.
Its carbonation is soft but active with a smooth and slightly slick texture in its medium body.

Notes: Overall it's very refreshing and drinkable with all the wonderful flavors you expect in a good hefe-weizen.

Ah, a favorite of mine.
The foam was white, thick and creamy. The color was a hazy beautiful gold with a sence of depth. The smell had a dominate wheat aroma with flowery undertone. The taste was a mirror image of the smell. Mouthfeel - medium-bodied and semi-viscous. Drinkability - it's one of my favorites due to the dominate wheat and viscous natures of a German beer - awesome session! More please!

Poured into a Franziskaner glass on 4/13/13

Dense honey color with more of a pineapple juice appearance at the stem. Regardless, this is cloudy (though it retains a semblance of clarity). Three finger head with the foam cresting the top of the glass. The head drops slow, slowed by a continual stream of rising bubbles; as it recedes a scalloped half-moon forms along one side. Settling eventually into itself, the foam appears akin to smooth, rolling hills. Lace is a solid thin film with thicker areas protruding intermittently. Retention is strong; even toward the bottom of the glass it hold about 1/8th inch.

When I first poured the beer the aroma was nothing but fresh baked banana nut bread. It was perfect. As the beer opens, the wheat takes on a dusty penchant and there are hints of clove, perfume and pollen. Whimsical notions of crisp apple. Overall, the aroma is full and well-mannered.

Lush and reasonably dry, toasted wheat is the dominant flavor by a wide and comfortable margin. Lightly buttered baked bread augments the back half while modest banana and clove notes work through the middle. It is the banana that carries the finish with a slight dusty wheat presence.

The feel is light and leaning toward the watery side of things, though I am not inclined to label it thin. Carbonation is on the moderately high side; it is also quite full, maximizing the body-bolstering aspects of carbonation without being harsh or pesky. The carbonation seem right in line with the feel of the body.

There really isn't much to complain about. I need to drink this more often.

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Very rich, foamy white head, opaque, almost a green tea color with some sediment. This is how a beer should look.

S- Sweet smell, citrus and bananas

T- Sweet taste- very delicious. I detect banana, cloves, maybe coriander. Natural and bread like too.

M- Creamy with light carbonation

D- It's a very creamy and filling beer. It would be hard to have more than 2. -

I love it and would drink it again for sure. One of my all time favorite beers.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow golden with a large dense white head. It had great retention and lacing.

S: Aplles, banana, clove, and lemon zest.

T and M: Clove, banana, less citrus thatn the nose but still some there. Nice dry crisp finish. Perfect summer beer.

D: Easy quaffer that is much crisper and drier than most American versions. This is what a summer beer should be.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stupendous! Poured from a .5l bottle into my Weihenstephan Hefe glass. A beautiful lookin' beer. Golden and bubbly, with a thick snow white head. Smells of spices, fruit and wheat. The taste is similar to the smell. Medium to full bodied with a fresh bubbly mouth feel. A great session beer. I could drink this all day and all night. I am a big fan of wheat beers and a huge fan of this wheat beer. Highly recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Liter bottle poured into a peggerific chalice!

Franziskaner Hefe has been a favorite of mine for what seems like forever, so I figured I'd give it my personal wrap-up.

A: The pour from the bottle starts off smooth with a frothy and grainy appearance. Retains a lite head through out, Beautiful golden and caramel yellow colors compliment the cloudiness.

S: Aromas of citrus and spice are subtle to the nostrils, even detect a slight peach scent. Some very light notes of spice; maybe chai or clove. Also note a very pure and distinct wheat/straw aroma.

T: Franz has been on my top list because of it's exceptional flavor. Hints of lemon, orange, wheat, and grain are easily detected and savored.

M: Thick and frothy to the lips with a slight tinge of carbonation on the tongue. Could be a bit less sour but the finish is crisp and dry.

O: Overall Franz Hefe is a perfect example of a Hefe-weisse. It has a beautiful cloudy appearance, sweet citrus flavors and aromas, and a brilliant finish when all is said and done.

Exceptional Beer.

Ho Yeah!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ST: Poured from a 12 oz bottle purchased at Cardoza's Wines & Spirits in Fall River, MA

A: Golden Yellow with a good sized foamy head

S: Bananas, citrus, some spices

T: Very flavorful, a little heavy but overall very good

M: not too carbonated

D: very drinkable, exceptional taste. If you like wheat beers you will love this one.

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured into my Weizen glass with a fluffy white almost-but-not-quite two finger head with a pale yellow body. The head quickly shrunk to about a quarter of an inch, which is unusual for this particular beer. The head retention problem is more than likely due to my not beer-clean glasses.

The smell of this is everything a hefe should be. Light cloves, a touch of honey. A smattering of crushed ripe bananas, and yeasty bread smells. True to the style, and no one element is overwhelming. The smell is just as good when the beer warms.

The taste is bready, but with a decidedly lemony tang. There is a bit of citrus oil, and finishes with a bit of a spicey note like the burn of cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is watery, with a spicy finish that is quenching.

Drinkability on this is superior. It's one of my favorite hefes, and the one I've made several loaves of beer bread with. I've had a problem finding the beer until just recently. Now that I've found a steady supply I'll be more likely to keep it around more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a cloudy dark beige color weizen with a huge pure white foamy head with good retention and great lacing. Aroma of banana and cloves is huge and very enjoyable. Taste is also dominated by some banana, cloves and bubble gum notes with a perfect creamy texture of wheat malt. Full body with limited filtration and great carbonation. No date on the bottle but I am guessing that this is somewhat fresh. Probably the best form a style that I enjoy consistently.

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours orange-blonde with cloudiness. Generous head of large carbonation which settles down after a few moments. Smells fruity, with strong banana and sweet malt. Tastes first with a decent carbonation bite, followed by light spice and banana. The carbonation is there but not overdone. Awesome bubble-gum notes after it's gone. This is a sweet beer, but very nicely balanced. I hadn't had this brew in years, and I'm kicking myself for not returning to it sooner. I haven't had a bad Spaten yet; like this one they are al quite drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Pint glass at the Flying Saucer.

A: Slightly cloudy, gold.

S: Light wheat aroma and citrus undertones.

T&M: Smooth, light grainy palate. Medium bodied. Nice citrus type flavors with a subtantially nice mouthfeel.

Definitely one of the most refreshing beers during the summer months. I would highty recommend!

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Has a deep golden color that is quite cloudy. Has a small head, but it retains well.

Smell: Has a nice banana aroma without being too overpowering. It's sweet smelling and tempting.

Taste: Has a solid wheat backbone with just the right amount of banana flavor. It's not too prominent, and not too obscure. It's just right. Smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: The yeast gives this beer a fine body that is far from watery and still smooth.

Drinkability: What can I say? I could drink this beer all day long.

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

This is by far my favorite hefeweizen. Saw it at a store one day and thought I'd try it. I've loved it ever since.

The appearance is borderline orange/yellow and cloudy. The foam on top is very fine and fades away slowly. The smell has hints of citrus fruit. To me, the taste, like the smell, also seems to have a touch of orange/citrus fruit. Mouthfeel seems smooth. Overall, I'd consider it my favorite beer.

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

I love this beer. It never disappoints. I tried it for the first time about a year and a half ago and I was very very happy.

I am drinking a couple of beers tonight from a six pack bottled in 2006 and it tastes great.

A- nice slightly cloudy, medium ice tea color. Nice head when pouring although it does fall fairly quickly.

S- Smells good, you get a nice spice and citrus smell, and nice little snap or yeast.

T- Tastes great, a great orange and cardamom spice taste. Also a similarity to the Grains of Paradise taste you get in SA Summer Ale only more subtle and enjoyable.

M- nice and crisp, and with a great tingle on the tip of the tongue. A bit like a good champagne, only more robust and thick. Starts with a bit of a pinch and finshes very mellow.

D- Great drinkability. I would compare it to the difference between a fliet mignon and a porterhouse. You can eat a pound of each, but after a porter house you push the plate away and stay that was good and I am stuffed. The filet leaves more of a that was great I'd like another please feeling. This beer is a filet.

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a pillowy white head that quickly subsides. Aroma of wheat malt and clove. Taste is very pleasant, with lots of banana, wheat malt, and a hint of clove. I occassionally enjoy a banana bomb hefeweizen and when I want one, Franziskaner fits the bill. Drinkability is exceptional and this is a frequent beer for me in warm weather months.

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Golden and cloudy. Perfect whipped cream head bounds over the top rim of the glass. Superb.

S: Banana, cloves, yeast, vanilla and honey with a touch of wheat.

T: Spicy clove and wheat makes way for beautiful banana esters. The palate is left sweet with flavors of vanilla and honey.

M: Silky and smooth with a hint of carbonation.

D: Yes and yes. Simply wonderful beer.

4.56/5  rDev +12.9%

My last hefe till I buy some more.Im excited to try one of the best hefes in the world.

This beer is the stout of hefes.Its completely opaque,you cant see shit through the other side of the glass.Thick rocky head that sits atop of a cloudy yellow body of yeast.The head falls to a one finger thick patch.

yeast,lemon and other citrus notes.

very lemony,very puckery.yeasty,I dont taste any spices.Some hop flavor,and yeasty.

Carbonation is awesome,when I first poured it.It looked rough but its tamed down since then.

This may be the perfest hefe.Its very awesome and I will look for this again in any format.

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A- Poured from a bottle . Very cloudy gold to amber color. Fair amount of lacing. Big fluffy head is retained very well
S- Cloves, yeast, lots of wheat malt that smells like fresh wheat bread. Slight citrus. Fair amount of banana in the nose.

T- Tastes a lot like it smells. Good bit of clove with a bit of banana. Lots of wheat flavor. Some grain.

M- Smooth body. Dry finish. Just excellent.

O- Solid beer that i plan to drink again for sure. I might have found a new favorite for the style.

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Nice orangy color with a creamy head thait stays. Spicy, citrus taste. Wonderful nose of bananas with hint of cloves. This is a really good, refreshing beer. Over time this has become one of my favorites.
"Der bayerische Hochgenuss." Try it and see why.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu