Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Todd on 11-13-2001

Reviews: 1,597 | Ratings: 3,887
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

S - fruity, bananas! With bread like aroma, lemons, bubblegum.
A - amber, hazy, with one finger whitish head that disappears right away.
T - banana flavor, malty, with a little zest and citrus. Sweet and Spicy with slight bitterness at start.
M - light bodied brew, smooth, creamy, and crispy. Bitterness doesn't linger.
D - it's so light and very drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

On tap at Cervecería San Julián, a bar with a nice and small selection of draft beers and good bottled ones, 3.50€ the 0.5L glass.
Typical appearance orange-ish hue with a head that crownes the glass nicely. Simple (nota in a bad way) smell, yeasty. Good refreshing taste, great for summers and spring, the mouthfeel is a little bit too carbonated for my taste, but that is not a great problem.
The mouthfeel is awesome, I have to admit it, after drinkin 3L last Saturday without problem.
A quite solid Hefe, it is pretty available here so why not drink it?

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite Weiss beers. Up there with the Weihenstephaners, Ayingers and Andechers. Has more of a spicy flavor than other Weiss beers as I get more copper/metal from the hefe (that's yeast in english). The appearance is cloudy and golden like a great weiss beer. Mouthfeel is tangy and smooth at the same time. Taste is a touch spicier and sweeter than other weiss beers such as Hacker and Paulaner. That's a positive. I love this beer and so should you.
When Bayern Munich play in the Champions League, I drink these bad boys all match long (about 3 to 4 half-liters) at the local bar that has it on tap. The monk on the bottle? That's an original art-deco Ludwig Hohlwein painting from the '30s. Oh yeah, they don't call it "Hefe Weizen" in Bavaria. It's called Weissbier! Now you know and order accordingly when you're next in Munich!

3.67/5  rDev -9.2%

Amazed with the overall appearance of this beer. Big white fluffy head that lasted throughout. Cloudy yellowish color with a very faint green tinge.

The smell wasn't anything special just a bombardment of yeast, but still appropriate for the style. I just would of liked more citrus or clove notes in the aroma.

The taste starts with yeast, and tasty malt. As it continues over the tongue the banana, and clove tastes shine through. The beer finishes with lemon citrus notes with a slight hop bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy at first yet is light and refreshing right after.( Hefe Weiss always amazes me by this.)

Like most Hefe weissbier I find this one really easy to drink. I have no problem having another one of these.

Overall this isn't my favorite Hefe Weiss but I think it is still a great beer.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Excellent Hefe Weizen. Since falling in love with Hefe Weizen beer about 2 years ago, I've been trying as many brands as possible. I am not sure how this one slipped my radar for so long. It is one of the best that I've had. The smell is classic Weizen, has all the fruity/summery smells that are expected. It pours nice, with a great thick head - maybe the thickest head I've seen in a Weizen. It looks great, nice color. The taste is the best aspect of the beer, just tastes as close to perfect as you can get. I may still opt for a Paulaner Hefe Weizen over a Franziskaner, but Franziskaner is a close and will get plenty of space in my summer coolers.

3.61/5  rDev -10.6%

A-Cloudy coppery color with a moderately thick two finger thick head that fizzed down to a fine lacing.
S-Sweet malt and sulphur, with a light orange and banana scent
T-Wheat, just like a proper hefeweisen. Light on the palate. Sweet
M-Smooth and bubbly, like your neighbors hot wife.
D-Very drinkable for a beer with decent body.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Definitely deserving of it's reputation, Franziskaner is pretty close to the best in the hefe-weiss category. There are really only a couple that I would consider better in it's class. Pours with a very thick head, and the cloudy yellowish-orange color typical of weiss beers is unmistakeable. Taste is smooth with the slight hint of a fruity sweetness and of course, wheat.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Got a single of this the other day, and poured it into my mug and the appearance is beautiful.

Hazy straw color, best looking Ive seen in a Hefe. Poured a great foamy head and the lacing is equally great.

Smelled banana right a way and the strongest banana flavor Ive had in a Hefe. The mouthffeel was a little to carbonated and the aftertaste was hidden by this which is usually the problem for me for Hefes. Also felt it was a bit watery.

Bottom line is that this is one of the better Hefes out there because of the great smell.

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Look: A pale yellowish-gold with a nice white head.

Smell: Reminded me a bit of bananas, something fruity in it.

Taste: This reminds me a bit of the bananas out of a pack of Runts candy, at least the end taste after you swallow one down. Some citrus flavors in there as well.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, but not the lightest feeling beer, it has a bit of weight to it.

Drinkability: I liked the taste but it wouldn't be something that I would drink a lot of in one sitting. Overall the drink is quite refreshing and I imagine that it would pair very well with some great foods, however I'd probably only be able to do a bottle or two of this before I'd want something different.

Overall a very solid drink.

edit: Just hit the bottom of the bottle after pouring the last of it into my glass. Very tasty, have bought it before and will definately buy it again.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

A: Two finger white head that fades a little quick. No lacing. Medium gold and hazy.

S: Light clove and a little citrus.

T: Kind of understated. It's malty and balanced, but it just tastes muted. Refreshing and very drinkable. Some banana up front, but it finishes to almost nothing.

M: Finishes a little dry, nice and bubbly.

O: Just not enough flavor to be a great beer. It's mild, refined and subtle. Eminently drinkable, but not impressive.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

From Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Style: Hefeweizen
ABV: 5.00 %

Great hefe although not as good as the Weihenstephaner... but still an awesome hefe if it's available in your area.

Light citrus and other fruit flavors, big head and a smooth aftertaste.

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

Look how pleased that monk on the bottle looks. He is giving that mug his full approval as he pats his monkish belly. This must be a tasty, satisfying beer.

A--Cloudy and amber colored that fades to corn yellow if you tip the glass.

S--A satisfying blend of honey and corn aromas. Immediately put itself in my good graces.

T--Tastes like drinking a loaf of honey oat bread, with a bit of yeasty zing around the edges. No bitterness until after the beer has gone down your throat, then its just a nice subtle counterpoint.

M--Carbonation is small bubble style, but tons of them. Satisfyingly thick, but refreshing when cold.

D--Only thing that would stop you is a full belly.

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Franziskaner is a consistently good german hefeweizen that represents the style pretty well.
the smell is maybe my favorite aspect of this beer .. ripe banana comes to mind.. light clove/spice.. the banana is the more distinctive component.. the taste is very nice.. a little less sweet than i anticipated from the smell.. a little more dry.. but very good easy body that builds to a nice mild banana sweet finish.. This is a typical hefeweizen flavor, maybe a little spice but not too much just a pleasant light beer.. not the best but very good.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Sampled with a buddy at Flood's Bar, in Stroudsburg, PA.

Appearance: WOW this beer has a huge head on it! Started out at 5 fingers, and in about a minute or so was down to 2 fingers. The head has a wonderful texture. Beer is a nice golden yellow, and nice and cloudy. There isn't too much lacing, but that head sure hangs around till you finish the beer!

Smell: Wheat comes through very nicely, along with some citrus, spice and... banana? I distinctly got notes of banana, which I found quite curious. The yeast is also there, but balances in nicely with the other notes.

Taste: A bit of sweetness, with distinct notes of citrus within the beer, with a bit of an overlay of spices, including vanilla. Very pleasant. A nice dry finish longs for another sip.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is pretty nice, and has a wonderful silky mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Goes down very nicely, and very very pleasant to drink.

Overall: I would certainly drink this again. What a great beer!

4.06/5  rDev +0.5%

P - 16.9 oz brown bottle, old ugly monk on front label, gold foil neck, no freshness date.

A - Cloudy, medium golden honey color, thin bright white head with moderate retention, runny lacing.

S - light citrus esters, juicy fruit to bubble gum aroma.

T - slight lemon, orange, pineapple, tartness, nice citrus finish.

M - high carbonation, light to medium bubbly body.

D - (burp) one of the most popular hefeweissens available easy to find and fun to drink for a macro brew. Ill have another please. one of my fav yeasty wheats....

Translucent gold with typycal large white head but lacing was almost non existant.Clean fresh aroma.Tasted of smoky banana that comes through rather heavy,not necessarily in a bad way,,just a little strong.This, I believe, causes a slightly cloying finish that I'm not sure about yet, perhaps it just takes some getting used to.I will definitely try this again.So for now it's good.

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

This was my first Hefe-Weizen from a few years ago, nicknamed Monk Spunk by my mother.
For my first wheat it was great, I tacked on to it and now often enjoy several wheat classics, but this guy will always have a place in my heart.

Appearance- Its got it going on. It pours a solid 2 finger head with the wheaty whispy head. A little off color like it should be and then the head resides. The best part about the look is the spunky cloudyness. The looks of this beer tells any Budweiser boy that your packing Spaten heat.

Smell- little hint of bananas. it's is very arromatic and delightful. No hint of alcohol, but very smooth mix of perfection.

Taste- This taste got me to be a believer in wheat. It's smooth and by no means offending. It's one of those "great for a hard days work in the summer" berrs. Slight banana taste, a subtle hint of cloves, great blend of wheat malt and only tiny notes of hops, the malt is the real flavor your going to find on this guy.

Mouthfeel- Not overly bubbly, a crisp enjoyable drink with a pleasing finish.

Drinkability- Franziskaner is great on several occasasions, if I'm chilling with the guys for the night I have once or twice handled a six pack of this without ever getting bored of it. It has its purpose, I'd say it deserves a taste every six months at absolute most. And thats pretty good for me cause like a true BA I drink a large variety of beer.

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer for the first time at Crocodile Lyle's in Jim Thorpe, PA in the big 16.9 oz with the fancy gold foil on top, and from the first drink I was hooked. My favorite Heffeweise, it was served in a pint glass with an orange slice. It was the official party beer of my summer, and I think it is very good for a session. Plus its got a monk on the front, theres no way it can be bad!

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

Had this one on-tap at the Bulldog on Magazine St. in New Orleans at their Wednesday night keep-your-pint special because the Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Dunkel was out(!) I had never had this before, but the bartender offered and I'm not one to turn down a new beer.

Poured into a pint glass, the brew poured the typical hazy orange Hefeweizen color with almost zero head and almost zero lacing. . .just the way I like it.

Typical wheaty smell, with a bit of citrus thrown in there. Definitely some cloves and coriander and a hefty bit of banana smell. I probably looked like an idiot with my nose in the glass at the bar, but that was the only way I could really pick up on all those aromas.

The taste was slightly better than average, but having the read the reviews before I tried it, I expected much better. I think it may have been too cold originally, because it certainly tasted better as it warmed up. The citrus taste is quite present, and although the yeast taste was there, I could not taste any hops.

As far as mouthfeel goes, it was super, super smooth. I got through about 3/4ths of this in 5 minutes or so because after I started drinking it, I didn't even realize how fast I was consuming it. I had to let the last little bit warm up to get the good taste, but there was no bitterness and no harsh aftertaste. Very palatable!

Tied in with the mouthfeel, the drinkability is exceptional. I can't see myself drinking this instead of the Hefe-Weiss Dunkel, however, which I find far and away superior (though I'm also a huge advocate of dunkel style beers). I may pick up a 16.9 oz bottle of this later to see if it tastes differently (i.e. - how it tastes less cold), but I won't be choosing this over other Spaten products anytime soon.

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

I've had this affordable, drinkable delicious beer quite a few times now and I'll definitely be coming back to it. Smells and tastes a hint of banana. I love the smell. Cheap, definitely a plus but overall just great-tasting beer. Wheat beer perfected I would go so far as to say. It's important to rouse the bottle a bit because of all the yeast sediment. I could easily kick back a few any given day like I am right now (on my second.) Finally have some time off from work nothing better than drinking a beer that doesn't get you into a drunk stupor but instead maintains a decent buzz with great taste to boot. Recommended for sure, I want to try it out on tap.

3.96/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a bad hefe at all but a little too much carbonation and not enough banana flavor to get a flawless score from me. I would definately drink it again but I think I like Sierra Nevada kellerweis better and even hoffbrau.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

Hazy blonde in color with a tall, thick white head that stays for a good length of time and leaves a spotty lace. It has a fairly moderate aroma of fruity banana and clove.
First taste is of crisp, tart orange citrus that remains present to the finish. Clove, baking spices and grainy, bitter hop flavors emerge at mid-taste and contiue to the end. Yeast joins in as the flavor begins to fade. Medium body with very good carbonation and a good balance tipped toward hops.
A crisp, light, warm weather beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Poured violenty into a pint glass to get a 3 finger head which was retained exceptionally well until the last sip. Hazy deep golden with a tad off white head.

Smell was hints of clove and banannas.

Taste very delightful with a sweet aftertaste which is very impressive.

The mouthfeel is perfect for this style, not too watery but maybe more creamier than most beers of this style.

Drinkability was great for a session beer. I think this beer would be great w/ almost any foods or by itself to enjoy. I highly recomend this beer for its unique flavor.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

A - pours a dark cloudy yellow with LOTS of foamy light head and nice lacing

S - complex --yeasty and lemony, at the same time dark but refreshing

T - full-bodied, lemony, actually reminds me less of a hefe-weizen and more of a well-brewed light lager (a la Big River's Southern Flier)

M - nice and light, not too fizzy

D - maybe just not my style. It's decent but not great. I'd probably go for another hefe.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

This is my first wheat beer. Appearance was merky yellow and a little like cloudy dishwater, the head was big and pure white, and stayed on the side of the glass throughout the glass. Smell was not what I expected at all. Some here say it has some banana hints in there I guess that makes sense, I did however notice the citrus right away. Tasted good, no huge bitterness, little citrus, and bread if that makes sense.. Almost crisp and very easy to drink.

I'm coming back to this one for sure

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu