Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Todd on 11-13-2001

Reviews: 1,602 | Ratings: 3,920
3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Came in a foil wrapped bomber. There is not freshness date and it is marked "malt liquor," probably because some of these are sent to the southern states.
Pours a hazy copper. The head is big, white, and rocky at first. After a couple of minutes it settles into a thin quarter-inch head that is there until the last drop. It smells like fresh grain, and also somewhat grassy. The taste is much the same. You are also hit with a little bit of sweetness. It finishes with a bit of citrus. The mouthfeel is good, not too thick, and not to thin. This would probably be a refreshing beer after you'd been outside sweating on a hot summer's day. I'm not sure how fresh this was, but the drinkability doesn't seem very high. It wasn't hard to drink, but I wasn't extremely encouraged to get to the bottom of my pint glass either.
Notes: I have to admit that I am not really a fan of wheat beers. I revisit them from time to time in hopes that my palate will accept them. I had the day off today so I decided to pick up a beer to go with my lunch. I saw this in the cooler and decided I'd try wheat beers again. I tried to rate it on the style, not my personal taste preference. The only wheat beer I've found that I really like to drink regularly is Bells Oberon.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Got a single of this the other day, and poured it into my mug and the appearance is beautiful.

Hazy straw color, best looking Ive seen in a Hefe. Poured a great foamy head and the lacing is equally great.

Smelled banana right a way and the strongest banana flavor Ive had in a Hefe. The mouthffeel was a little to carbonated and the aftertaste was hidden by this which is usually the problem for me for Hefes. Also felt it was a bit watery.

Bottom line is that this is one of the better Hefes out there because of the great smell.

2.87/5  rDev -29%

A: Huge head with a nice bit of cloudiness from the yeast in the bottle. Color is cloudy yellow. Very nice lacing.
S: Initially very bland. After a few sips, there was a nice wheaty smell with no real banana/clove smells.
T: Better than what the smells would lead me to believe. Some hints of bubblegum in the taste, with hints of lemons and bread. Nice sweet maltiness with low hop flavors.
M: Smooth drinking and clean. CO2 and alcohol seem to be in good levels.
D&N: The budweiser of hefe's. Nothing spectacular, nothing that is plain bad, just a middle of the road representation. Try it if you haven't, but don't expect a world class beer.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Presentation: I think it was an oversized(23oz?) curvy pilsner glass, which was the best coice available.

Appearance: Suffered from the "bartender pour," but it still looks nice. Not so much head because he filled it so fast, and then got rid of the resulting huge head by overfilling it to excess. Oh well, the color and still long-lasting head can't be defeated.

Smell: Smells of bread, soft alcohol, slight wheaty twang. It all comes together quite nicely.

Taste: A subdued but pleasing wheat flavor is foremost. Develops a slight citrus hop bite, followed by malted flavors (grainy, mostly). Fruit flavors finish it off, leaving a lingering yeast aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thick, smooth, with great carbonation. The carb. is strong, but it has to make it's way through the thick body and all of the junk floating in the beer.

My favorite Hefe-Weizen thus far. I was extremely happy with it.

Poured golden yellow with apricot highlights, slightly hazy liquid adorned by a thick, creamy white head with medium staying power.

Up front hits you with soft aromas of wheat, coriander, and citrus fruits. The middle and end swirl with notes of vanilla, fruits (bananas, and pineapples) and yeast in a nice balance. Brings back memories of summer evenings on the patio sipping a hefe while a cool breeze whispers you to sleep.

Creamy and silky liquid brings forth fruit, wheat, and yeasty flavours through a fine carbonation. A mild tart sweetness finishes the beer nicely, slicing delicately through the fruit and yeast flavours and graciously balances the whole.

Fours across the board, this I would recommend to anyone who desires to peacefully soothe summer's heat at the end of the day.

Santé

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Excellent Hefe Weizen. Since falling in love with Hefe Weizen beer about 2 years ago, I've been trying as many brands as possible. I am not sure how this one slipped my radar for so long. It is one of the best that I've had. The smell is classic Weizen, has all the fruity/summery smells that are expected. It pours nice, with a great thick head - maybe the thickest head I've seen in a Weizen. It looks great, nice color. The taste is the best aspect of the beer, just tastes as close to perfect as you can get. I may still opt for a Paulaner Hefe Weizen over a Franziskaner, but Franziskaner is a close and will get plenty of space in my summer coolers.

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%

Had on tap at the South Side Saloon. The other reviews cover pretty much everything, but I have to add that this is possibly the creamiest beer to ever touch my lips. It was so wonderfully smooth I damn near shat my pants. This is a classic hefe right here.

4.92/5  rDev +21.8%

1pt.9oz. bottle with a gold foil top.

The smell of this beer gets me every time. Bannanas, peaches, pears. The appearance is a beautifully cloudy rusty gold color. Tiny bubbles of carbonation rise to the bottem of the fluffy white head. Nice sticky lacing too. Wonderfully light carbonation. Bready, bannana pancake, taste with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Ah, summer is just around the corner. This beer puts a smile on my face. Like seeing an old friend after a long time apart.

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

The color is golden with a slight haze. Head is immense, thick, and creamy. Plenty of carbonation too. Aroma is a moderate clove smell with a bit of banana thrown in too. The taste has a strong presence of spicy clove flavor mixed with mild banana taste. The mouthfeel is very crisp and gives the beer another dimension of character. This is a very good beer, however I don't think it is something I'd want to spend an entire session with. For me a hefe weizen is something I pick up every now and again to switch things up.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

This bottle is not very fresh, but even so...
Aroma is bursting with bananas and yeast. Pours is an nice golden orange, cloudy and with lively carbonation speeding up to a white frothy head. The head is about and inch tall and maintains itself well. Taste is subtley sweet, yes - bananas, light but earthy grains, giving way to a strong yeasty doughiness. The sweetness is well balanced by a light bitterness. Smooth texture, body is thin yet somehow creamy. Some unpleasant metal after the swallow. Leaves your mouth feeling lubed. I find this beer really refreshing. I passed the best afternoon of the quarter drinking these with a buddy until dinner.

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

looks..well, orange. murky, fluffy

smells... well, wheaty and sweety!

tastes.. sublime. wheat with unripe bananas. complex refined sugars and orangey flavoring. the perfect hefe.

others have said it before. drink it.

what other hefe's can compete? what other beers can say they are top of the class? not many. this is one of them. not my favorite, but for its style. this is the one that i would pick on a desert isle with my favorite JEFE.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Ah, such sweetness is the hefe-weisse. This ranks pretty high on my list of hefes. It has a classic banana/clove/wheat flavor that is oh so nice. It's noted as a "malt liquor" on the bottle and despite my strong dislike of most beers which I think of as malt liquors, I can see the similarity. The flavor is quite strong, so it might not be the one for those who are ambivalent about their hefes. But if you're searching for a nice quality hefe, you would do well to start here.

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Mmm, beer in my tummy.

A classic and nearly ancient example of the style. This one pours a cloudy deep gold with a thick and persistant head. Nose is almost banana like, almost herbal like notes and thick sweetness. The taste does not disappoint following the nose quite closely. Mouthfeel is nice, pretty thick and heavier than I expected.

I suspect my bottle was a little old however and I'm thinking this would be a brew better served fresh, the taste had a certain stale quality, subtle but present.

Overall a fine hefe, I'll probably revisit this one if I can find a bottle that is a bit more fresh.

4.2/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance was not too bad, cloudy golden color with a full white head. Smell was very grass-like, spicy hops with a distinct bread smell as well.

Tastes bready, too. I was not prepared to like this beer as much as I did, but the hops and light malt flavors blend absolutely beautifully with the yeast. Be sure to get the swirl going, and for the love of God don't use a lemon.

Mouthfeel is excellent, strong character without being too heavy.

Drinkability is high. I could put away several pints.

Overall, a surprisingly good hefe-weizen from Franziskaner. Now I need to try the Dunkel...

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

I got this one in a trade. I have a feeling I got the better end of the deal. Poured from a green bottle, the slightly cloudy, golden straw colored beer has a beautiful head that settles down to about a half inch.

I'm really liking the smell of this one very much. It is mellow but I think that fools you because I also pick up a lot of layers in there. They blend well below the wheat smell I get. It is very pleasing to the nose.

This beer is extremely refreshing as it hits your tongue and fills your mouth. Slight malt that complements the mild honey and spices. Just the right amount of carbonation so it goes down really well. Small sips don't do this one justice. You need to bring in a good mouthful and let it sit for a moment. Just a hint of sweet in the aftertaste, maybe a little grape.

This is a good import. I'll gladly trade for this again and I'll definitely pick up a six pack.

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Brew poured to a golden yellow color that was very cloudy, could not see through to the other side of the glass. Had a huge white creamy head that held on for most of the beer and left thick lacing at the top and then fine rings around the rest of the glass. The aroma’s are of wheat, citrus and banana, a very fine smelling brew. The first thing that I notice is a malt flavors that leads to a banana//fruity sweet taste. Has ample hop/spice that I notice need the end with a smooth like feel. I am not a big fan of this type of brew but this one is changing my views! Over all this is an excellent brew, even when having it in the heart of winter.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Served in a Franziskaner Weissbier glass this Hefe-Weissbier's lable shows a Franciscian monk with 3 keys suspended from his wrist (water, grain, hops - yeast the 4th key was unknown until Pasteur's discovery) and pouring directions on the back lable. This unfiltered wheat beer pours a cloudy gold with thick creamy head features great retention and laces the glass well. Waiting, waiting, until this rocky head recedes a little I test the aroma, finding an inviting boquet of esters suggesting bananas, cloves, pineapples waffing up from the tulip shaped top half of the glass. Sipping, a tart almost bitter sweet combination of flavors and a rush of carbonation. Topping off my glass, the formidable head returns and I savor the Citrusy aroma again wishing I was away from the back ground odors of the Pub's bar-room. I thought the body a little light for my taste, but I drink little of this style.

I would definately recomend this to a "wheat lover".

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance - This beer poured with a huge creamy white head. It has a semi-deep golden-straw color. Once I got the yeast out from the bottom of the bottle, the beer became cloudy. I bought this one in Texas, so it is laughingly labeled "malt liquor."

Smell - Banana mixed with clovey spiciness. I think I have heard this one described as phenolic. It smells fantastic.

Taste - Spiciness tends to dominate the flavor of this beer. I also pick up some hints of fruit (most notably banana and possibly citrus). The beer does not seem to be super fresh, and this detracts a bit from the flavor.

Mouthfeel - This beer is light and lively, and goes down easily. It has what appears to be an approrpiate amount of feel to it.

Drinkability - This beer is highly drinkable - very smooth, despite packing a good amount of spicy flavor. Try this one on a hot summer day.

Comments - This is a darn fine hefe weizen. I just wish that I could get it fresh.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

This poured to a thick shade of yellow and white with a nice big head. There's plenty of lace left in the glass, too.

The beer tastes good, but the smell is what really drives it home. Wheat malts come through strong, spiced up by a great blend of esters. In the mouth, citrus joins in for a taste that has no shortage of flavor. The mouthfeel is very full for the style.

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

Hefe has been my favorite beer forever. For some reason, I have lately not had any. A friend bought me some for Christmas and tonight is the first one I have opened.

Oh I had forgotten the sweet smell of bananas and cloves. What a delight. The great taste of a hefe after diner which cuts through all the BULL left over from the meal. Delightful mouthfeel. Sweet and full. And lest I forget the cloudy yellow beer with a head that overflows because I pour it for MAXIMUM head and aroma. I had to break out my Franziskaner Hefe glass that I brought home from Germany and drank and remembered the good times.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

The huge white head spilled over the edge of my weizen glass when poured. That's what I like to see! Big spicy nose. Taste is big and fruity, chocked full of bananas with strong yeasty kick. Smooth as silk in the mouth and about as drinkable as it gets.

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

Sampled this one off tap again last night. The beer poured a testaceous color with a nice ivory head that sticks around nicely. The nose is banana, lemon and cream. Not too strong, but nice. The flavor is creamy, banana and clove. There are hints of lemony tang in there as well. Overall a good beer. The feel is thick and creamy. Just a nice session beer. I think Franziskaner is one of those beers I can always trust.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is dark straw-orange, maybe 20-25 srm; bubbly big guy head w/ nice retention.

Smell. Bananas, oranges, wheat malt, little bit of roses from hops.

Taste. Also some nanners, citrus, with a pleasant nuttiness, great mouthfeel, slick and smooth.

This is an old fall back beer, and along with the Pinkus Organic it is one of my favorite hefe weisses. Way to go, Germany!

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Huge, monstrous head…firm, long-lasting, and almost solid. Hefe’ heads are a wonder of nature. The aroma on this brew is the expected citrusy-wheat and clove: pleasant and refreshing. Also, a bit of a yeasty, earthy smell rounds out the nose. Taste is tangy and nearly tart…with a peppery, lemon sensation. Wheat, grainy, and yeasty…just as it should be. Medium body. Slightly peppery, spicy finish. For me, a Hefe-Weisse is a mood-dependent beer, but I’ll never tire of a good one. This one is better than just good.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a cloudy, medium yellow body with loud carbonation and a huge, vanilla head that retains well and generously deposits sheet and patch lace all over the glass.
Good Hefe aromas of clove and lemony orange(or is it just mandarin orange?). Some earthy yeatiness is also picked up.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation.
Taste is clove, wheat grain, and tart orange. Swirling the bottle before the final pour produces a prominent, earthy yeastiness that distinguishes this as an excellent Hefe.
Very solid for style. I could drink a couple of these any time.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu