Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany
franziskaner-weissbier.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Also known as Franziskaner Weissbier and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell.

Added by Todd on 11-13-2001

Liked:
4.06/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,528 |  Reviews: 1,700

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

500mL bottle into a hefe glass
no distinguishable bottling dates

A: Pours a dark golden, almost copper color with 3.5 fingers width of white head. Head has fair retention before dissipating down. Leaves almost zero lacing.

S: Predominately bubble gum aroma with clove and sweet citrus as well. Lots of wheat characters and some light fruity notes.

T: Taste isnt what I expected from the nose. Lots of wheat and a pale malt profile. The sweetness is on the finish with some banana esters. I also get citrus and a good amount of clove along with some peppery spices. Gets better as I drink, as the spice and sweet citrus become more prominent.

M/D: Medium body, carbonation on the lower end and Id prefer if it were higher, drinkability is average.

O: Good but not great. Certainly worthy of a try, and the price is right, but I'll go with Weihenstephaner Heffeweissbier over this one any day.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.25/5  rDev -20%

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours up a whole bunch of head which looks to have excellent retention. The head is a fluffy, pure cotton white while the body is a fuzzy, orange/lemon yellow that glows as a light and hazy golden amber in the light. Very classic hefeweizen appearance. Some spots of lacing but not much.

Nose- Heavy, heavy bananas- both from the glass and the bottle. Not much else at the moment. Light notes of cloves. Some lemon and apple notes start to come out as the banana begins to fade. Grass, herbal notes, and honey around the edges. Very creamy and great balance. Good presence as well. Cloves start to show more at the end. Swirling reveals an especially creamy and rich banana aroma. Almost marshmallows.

Taste- Starts off with light but slightly tart apple and lemon before it moves into some banana (certainly not as dominant as the nose) that then moves into wheat followed by a finish of pepper, coriander, wood, and cloves. Slight hints of ash. Less presence than I would have guessed and it may be just a little too thin to be classified as delicate. Definitely fruitier along the entire flavor profile than I expected it to be. Apples, lemon, and oranges seem to be most dominant notes with a very pronounced blend of cracked black pepper and woody to ashy cloves at the end. There's a good chance this might a little past its prime considering the place I bought. It's an above average to maybe good beer but seems too thin and too dull to be at its prime. I'm going to round up a little bit because I don't remember this beer being that thin or low on the banana goodness. Everything else seems okay. I'm pretty sure this is more of a solid, good beer if I factor in past experiences.

Mouthfeel- A little more than light bodied with a hint of a creaminess that has disappeared. Light carbonation but still a sting of carbonic acid during some tastes. Works with the heavy spice of the finish but does burn a little.

Drinkability- Pretty easygoing but a little boring in its degraded state. I think it is around 2.50 a bottle and that seems reasonable. I wish I knew the bottle codes so I could be sure I was getting a fresh bottle.

Overall- Average at present but my memory seems to suggest that is a much fuller, flavorful beer. This is a good, solid beer if that is correct. Definitely worth a try. But get it from a bottle shop you trust.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%

I have lived and traveled to every continent in the world except Antarctica, I have found this to be the best bottled beer I have ever tasted. It is smooth, no aftertaste, it's natural beer so it doesn't have the nasty preservatives. You'll want to shake it up before you open it to get the yeast mixed around otherwise it will all be on the bottom and the taste will be degraded. I have heard this beer can even be drank at room temperature but I am still American so I prefer it chilled.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu