Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany
franziskaner-weissbier.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Also known as Franziskaner Weissbier and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell.

Added by Todd on 11-13-2001

Ratings: 4,543 |  Reviews: 1,702

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

Franziskaner - Weissbier

Always one of my favorites, my wife surprized me with a gift in the fridge this afternoon. It sure was great. I can't get enough of this beer, and even better with a few grilled brats. I've loved hefeweizen ever since getting sent to Germany with the Army in the 90's - it was beer like this that kept away from all macro-brews throughout my college life. After some great Hefeweizen, I just couldn't back to bland, tasteless American Lagers.

This beer pours a deep, golden color, a very cloudy blond-light brown. The 12 oz bottle filled my 500ml weizen glass to nearly the top with a thick off-white foam that went down fairly quicky, but not without lacing the sides all the way down.

It's a very flavorful wheat beer taste, slightly sweet, slightly malty, slightly heavy, but all in a great combination. You'll want to be sure to give the bottle a few swirls before you finish your pour to ensure that you get all the unfiltered wheat that you've paid for.

As I finished my brew and typed this up, some fruit fly decided that he couldn't take it anymore and finished himself off with a dive into my glass. While I switch to my covered stein and pour anothe, I just can't be too upset. That's the way I'd like to go too.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

This beer bumped my beloved Yuengling into second place after nearly 20 years. I didn't think that would ever happen, but this beer is that good.

Appearance: After pouring into a glass, this beer forms a beautiful, white, fluffy head that disappears rapidly. Lovely hazy, golden color, nice carbonation.

Smell: Just the smell of this beer is intoxicating! Light sweet smell of bananas, hints of lemon, grain.

Taste: Light-medium body with the taste of banana, and as one reviewer said, oddly enough, bubble gum. Just a delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, clean, smooth.

Overall: Like I said, this beer has officially bumped Yuengling into second place. Have absolutely no doubt about this beer if you haven't tried it but see it on a shelf somewhere. Just get it. You won't be disappointed!

4.94/5  rDev +21.7%

Exceptionally well balanced hefeweizen with aroma of ripe bananas and a hint of clove. Drinks exceptionally smooth with yeasty rich sweet banana and hint of clove. Much better on draft but decent in the 16.9 ounce bottle. The 12 ounce bottles are not as good, and often even bad. The kegs I have purchased state "MUST KEEP REFRIGERATED" which implies it is not pasteurized. The dunkelweizen kegs do not have this statement.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%