Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany
franziskaner-weissbier.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Also known as Franziskaner Weissbier and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell.

Added by Todd on 11-13-2001

Ratings: 4,520 |  Reviews: 1,698

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance - Pours a cloudy, deep yellow with a white, 2 finger head. Good retention, and the resulting lace stays thick and sticky.

Smell - Classic hefe aromas - banana, clove, yeast. There's also soft lemon, which might be it's most prominent aromatic quality.

Taste - Prominent clove spice throughout, with subtle notes of banana and yeast. A soft lemon tinge on the back end. Finishes quickly, but what's there while it's there is good.

Mouthfeel - Light and slightly watery. A fair amount of carbonation leads to a decent bite on the back of the tongue, but not enough to save a disappointing body.

Overall - A decent hefeweizen. If you don't try it, you aren't missing much, but it's a decent buy if you've got a hef itch and there aren't better options available to scratch it. Promising flavor, but ultimately it's the nearly dimensionless mouthfeel that keeps it from being great.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

3.23/5  rDev -20%

12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a hazy brownish orange with a one finger head. Pretty poor head retention and lacing.

Smell is quite yeasty with loads of clove coming through along with a light musty odor. A small amount of bubblegum and orange too.

Taste has a lot of bubblegum and clove but not a whole lot of orange. A definite yeasty quality is there but nothing is present in large amounts. Honesty it taste really watered down. Mouthfeel is extremely watery.

Overall I was a little disappointed by this beer. I'm not sure how fresh it was but I have had much better hefe's. Might have to revisit it sometime.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%

I wrote this entire review and left the computer for a little while. I tried to submit but it asked for my login info again. Then, when I did, lost the damn submission. I am shortening it now.

Murky straw. White head leaves quick to disk. Some bubbly cling. Smells like wheat, slight barn funk and a trace of malt. A little sharp lemon in there too. Taste is exactly like smell. I would drink this all night.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

This was a random pick up at Bevmo. This was a low point price point compared to other pint bottled beers it was about $2.99 I believe. Im actually surprised the beer is a good drink it has a citrus flavor and medium to full body. I should have never doubted the Germans. My only thing I'm not to happy about is I get alot of carbonation with every drink, from a glass may be different.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a weizen glass. The pour left a thick, creamy white head that dissipated slowly, leaving some lacing. Color and clarity was typical of the style, somewhat cloudy and orange-yellow. I detected the faintest hint of clove, but mostly some orang-ish citrus although overall this beer did not have a strong nose.

I picked this six pack up on the way home from the golf course, and I was hot and thirsty, a great time for a weisbier. This one did not disappoint. It was very refershing, with good carbonation but not fizzy, and a smooth, slightly citrus flavor. Would have been nice to have a little more spice character, which I really enjoy in a wheat beer, but still, this is a good brew. I would buy it again.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu