Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Todd on 11-13-2001

Reviews: 1,596 | Ratings: 3,877
4.79/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my all time favorites. Been drinking it for years. Love the 'Thick' Hefe mouthfeel and the essence of banana and clove. The Monk on the front of the bottle takes away any guilt I may have of drinking too many. I still do not find this beer generally available everywhere here in Illinois. Good in the summer after a day of gardening, or good in the winter while working out in the garage.

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

This is NOW my favorite beer--a close win over Erdinger. A really smooth and easy-drinking beer not too strong and no aftertaste, which is what I like. I like this and Erdinger just a tad better than Weihnstephaner, which is a bit too tangy for me, which are probably due to the cloves.

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Extremely smooth and easy to drink. No bitter notes can be found whatsoever. Heavy banana notes on the nose and on the taste. No alcohol taste coming through.

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

Had this one at a restaurant in Autria where they serve over 30 different pizza´s.

Murky light brown ale in a hefe glass, big white/off-white head sitting on a thick looking bubbling beer. Massive arome of fresh banana bread, brown sugar, clove and cracked wheat. Absolutely crazy, I´d smell it all day.

Flavor of fresh banana bread, sweet fuit and spice. Incredibly malty and rich, but not heavy or cloying at all. Really good! Have a couple like I did!

Franziskaner - Weissbier

Always one of my favorites, my wife surprized me with a gift in the fridge this afternoon. It sure was great. I can't get enough of this beer, and even better with a few grilled brats. I've loved hefeweizen ever since getting sent to Germany with the Army in the 90's - it was beer like this that kept away from all macro-brews throughout my college life. After some great Hefeweizen, I just couldn't back to bland, tasteless American Lagers.

This beer pours a deep, golden color, a very cloudy blond-light brown. The 12 oz bottle filled my 500ml weizen glass to nearly the top with a thick off-white foam that went down fairly quicky, but not without lacing the sides all the way down.

It's a very flavorful wheat beer taste, slightly sweet, slightly malty, slightly heavy, but all in a great combination. You'll want to be sure to give the bottle a few swirls before you finish your pour to ensure that you get all the unfiltered wheat that you've paid for.

As I finished my brew and typed this up, some fruit fly decided that he couldn't take it anymore and finished himself off with a dive into my glass. While I switch to my covered stein and pour anothe, I just can't be too upset. That's the way I'd like to go too.

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured into a tall weiss glass, I got a huge, billowy, 3-finger head.
It's a bright, hazy, orange-gold. A very attractive looking hefe that is equally aromatic with clove, coriander, tea, faint banana, and citrus. The taste mirrors the aroma with additional notes of bready yeast and maybe a bit of caramel.

Even though this a bold hefe, its mouthfeel is surprisingly clean to me. Although it feels creamy and smooth at first, it finishes refreshingly crisp. Drinkability was great - I could have easily downed another and that says a lot since hefeweizen is not typically one of my styles of choice.

Overall this is a classic, authentic, and very flavorful hefe. Sure as hell beats the lame hefe's usually found on tap at the 5,000 bullshit irish bars around here in Boston. Adding slices of oranges or lemons to the rim of this one would be insulting.

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

pours a really beautiful orange color with a big fluffy white head, has a lot of carbonation, its just exploding with bubbles.

smell is really fantastic, has a wonderful spiciness to it, smells more like a belgian wit, but still amazing aroma

taste is just as good, has a fantastic taste, a perfect balance of yeast spiceness and malt/hops

mouthfeel is good, as is drinkability, a really superb hefe.

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

Appearance: a thick billowy head covers this clear hazy brew. Lovely colors dominant this hefe, and it looks quite nice

Smell: this smell is excellent, and its one of the strongest smelling hefe's ever (at least in my experience). Strong, strong smells of banana and clove, both in equal high strength, mesh together into a highly refreshing and pleasant experience, showing the brewery skill in manipulating the yeast to give off a equily strong balanced beer smell.
to me, that balance is perfection

Taste: Also, this is a great example of the beer balance. It has a nice malty backbone (odd of a hefe), and extremely strong, pleasant banana flavors with a strong spicy clove finish. This is a truly great flavor

Mouthfeel: this one is much less watery than a traditional hefe, with a nice slick feeling on the tongue, balanced by a strong carbonation bite.

Overall: I'm giving this one a 4.5/5
Its a truly amazing hefe brew that comes very close to being almost perfect (for this brews style). a excellent beer to have with breakfast, or after a hard days work, I cant recomend it enough

4.76/5  rDev +17.8%

I have this beer on tap when I go to Heidelberg in NYC. It is so good that I can't get anything else. Wonderful yeasty bite, yet mellow at the same time. I just love this beer.

4.76/5  rDev +17.8%

A: hazy golden orange, quickly building foamy white head that slowly dissipates
S: lots of banana and yeast, some clove, faint wheat
T: lots of clove and yeast, some banana and wheat, faint lemon peel
M: refreshingly crisp, dry finish, nicely carbonated
O: an extremely reliable German hefe

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

I keep going to the store looking for something new, but somehow I always end up picking up a six pack of franziskaner hefe-weisse. Its such a crisp clean taste that its almost a necessity to quench my thirst for a good beer. I can always pick out flavors and "Be Constructive" in my definition of this distinct taste, but thats hardly doing it justice. Give it a try, then give it a try again.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

A- Pours a cloudy golden color.

S- Very pleasant aroma, a well balanced smell of banana, wheat, cloves, and a hint of citrus.

T- A hint of banana and wheat along with cloves, and then a slight acidic taste of citrus can be noted.

M- Crisp and smooth, slightly creamy due to the cloudy carbonation. Goes down quite nicely.

D- Very drinkable! Perfect mixture of taste and armoas, one of the best examples of a Hefeweizen I have tasted. Great weissbier. Prost!

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

This beer or should I say bier is the money. It has the typical cloudy color (due to the yeast being left in the beer) and that wonderful lacy head. This beer is a great summer time brew and a must have for cookouts.

Tip: I use this beer when boiling brats just before throwing them on the grill. gives a great added flavor especially when using Usinger's brats but Im from Wisconsin what do I know.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was the first Hefeweizen I ever tried. I love everything about it. Cloudy pour, banana/clove smell and taste, tons of carbonation. I drink it year round. I would give it all fives, but nothing can be perfect. I know it's owned by InBev, and I don't care. Great beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite Weiss beers. Up there with the Weihenstephaners, Ayingers and Andechers. Has more of a spicy flavor than other Weiss beers as I get more copper/metal from the hefe (that's yeast in english). The appearance is cloudy and golden like a great weiss beer. Mouthfeel is tangy and smooth at the same time. Taste is a touch spicier and sweeter than other weiss beers such as Hacker and Paulaner. That's a positive. I love this beer and so should you.
When Bayern Munich play in the Champions League, I drink these bad boys all match long (about 3 to 4 half-liters) at the local bar that has it on tap. The monk on the bottle? That's an original art-deco Ludwig Hohlwein painting from the '30s. Oh yeah, they don't call it "Hefe Weizen" in Bavaria. It's called Weissbier! Now you know and order accordingly when you're next in Munich!

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a nice cloudy golden orange with two finger frothy white head that gradually sinks to a thin coating on top.

Aroma is cloves, banana, bubble gum, maybe a bit of pear, a touch of citrus and wheat malt.

Flavor is mostly dominated by the wheat malt itself then I get a bunch of spicy cloves with a bunch of banana and some citrus on the finish. A bit of breadiness as well.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Very refreshing.

This is a very drinkable brew if you like weissbiers. Definitely one of my favorites in this category.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

my first real wheat beer that I paid attention to...opened my eyes to what beer can be! I love this brew...felt like the closest that beer can approach to being food.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

A great example of a Hefeweizen. Poured it into my Franziskaner weizen glass.

Appearance: Good head retention, a cloudy orange color. The head is fluffy looking. Looks good so far.

Aroma: Typical Hefeweizen...soft notes of wheat, some citrus and banana.

Taste: Banana going down, with some lemony zing going for it. Its got a bit of a bite...a little crisp, but goes down fairly smooth anyways.

Mouthfeel: Creamy on tongue, I like to swirl it around for a while just to get all the complex, yet subtle flavors.

Drinkablity: Excellent and refreshing..I always buy variety 6-packs..2 of them, 1 with familiar beer and another with new types of beer. This one always manages to find itself into the former.

Overall a great example of a Hefeweizen. Smells great, tastes great and has an amazing mouth feel. If interested in exploring more Hefeweizens, try Paulaner Natural Wheat, Weinstephaner, and Schneider Weisse. Those are other great examples of the style.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was my first beer that wasn't mass-produced American crap. I had just moved to Italy, and at a small pizza place, I decided to order the most German looking beer on the menu. The waiter poured it over a small orange slice in a tall hefe glass, then swirled the bottom and poured the wheat/yeast grub into the glass.

I've been addicted to "good" beer ever since.

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Pours a hazy straw yellow into an American shaker pint with a little white head that dissipates rather quickly and leaves some lacing.

S: Wow, a lot going on here. Apricots, bananas, pineapple and spices.

T: Like the nose, fruity as hell with the added experiences of granny smith apples; wheat and pale malts give it some biscuit taste.

MF: Heavy body, smooth, sweet and crisp. A bit syrupy.

O: What an awesome Hefe! quickly rises to near the top of my favorites.

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

12oz green bottle with portly monk on label. malt liquor...HA!!

a - pours a cloudy amber with a dense rocky head and produces excellent lacing. can't see through glass, but a good deal of light is let through.

s - smells of bannanas, clove, wheat, and other spices (maybe corriander, but i'm not 100% sure on that).

t - tastes of a perfect blend of wheat, bannana, and perhaps just a slight hint of orange. very satisfactory, smooth finish.

m - definately a light/medium bodied brew that goes absolutely perfect with most foods.

d - you can drink this just about any time of the year, however, i probablly wouldn't start drinking it until late september as it is a bit heavier than summer beers.

NOTE: i would definately suggest trying this while eating crackers and cracked red pepper hummus. they're a wonderful pair! also, you should try this with lamb, i find that they compliment themselves very well.

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

Tall bottle poured into a hefeweizen glass. Crystal snowy foam blesses this terribly attractive hefe. A lovely cascade of peach runs down the lengthy glass. Aroma is of mild citrus. Full of wheat, and great malt. Visually incredible. Scent is good.

A sweet lemon and orange present this relaxingly cool brew. The wheat flavors are delicious and bright. Feels sooo fresh and smooth and goes down nicer than most beers.

This is easily my favorite hefe.

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

in the last few years, this has become one of my top 5 favorite beers. looks great, smells great, tastes great, goes down oh so smooth, and quite the quaffable brew. i can drink this all day long. hot, cold, mild- whatever the weather, Franziskaner always tastes great

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bar pint glass. Hazy, golden color. Malty and foamy head. Spice and banana hints. Excellent lacing. Tastes best cool, not cold. In the top 10 on my list.

4.71/5  rDev +16.6%

A- A medium honey yellow, mildly hazy, lots of visible carbonation. A darker than usual hefe. The head has a soapy-foamy off white head, pillowy and light. Very good looking hefeweizen. No real yeast sediment from the bottom

S- Spritzy hefeweizen spice-- cloves and bananas, wheat malts, grasses, spring flowers. Mild and hard to really grasp, but decent enough.

T- Taste is mild and very pleasent. Light malt flavors, a creamy blend of spice and creaminess and a just noticeable hops bittered finish. So tasty and damn refreshing with a wonderful smoothness of tastes. Top notch German hefe, one of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had. Heartier than most other wheats, but still retaining it's lighter and uplifting nature. Two thumbs up!

M- Superb, a wonderfully fuller feeling beer, with great texture. The higher ammounts of carbonation don't really get in the way of this crisp beverage, it still seems delectably smooth and relaxed.

D- A most perfectly drinkable brew-- my new favorite wheat beer, simply fantastic!

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu