Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Todd on 11-13-2001

Ratings: 3,929 |  Reviews: 1,603

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

Poured from the bottle in to a hefeweizen glass the beer was a hazy dull orange color with a frothy white three-finger head. Streams of carbonation ran up the sides of the glass and some spots of lace were left throughout the sample.

A faint grainy almost macro BMC smell to the beer; very surprising. Thankfully, some slight citrus fruits came thru: lemon and orange mostly. A perhaps just a faint hop presence in the nose as well.

The taste thankfully did not immitate the smell. Citrus fruit and orange and lemon dominated the taste. A malty backbone lent some substance and moderate mouthfeel to the beer. Some slight banana undertones as well and there was ample carbonation.

There are certainly much better hefeweizens out there and this was only about par for me. The smell really turned me away, and the taste (although not bad) did not overly impress either. I'll look for something else when seeking a hefeweizen.

2.54/5  rDev -37.1%

I didn't care much for this beer, which could have to do with the freshness here in the states. Something about this brew tasted rather old and stale to me. It had a medicinal, alcohol smell to it when first poured in a glass, which I found unpleasant. The head was foamy and the color was actually lighter and less cloudy than other Hefeweizens I've tried. This beer was very carbonated which lent each sip a tart sharpness which finished with a heavy banana flavor. As I continued sipping, the scent mellowed out a bit and became reminiscent of brown sugar and cloves. Hopefully I'll make it back Munich again where I can sample a fresh Franziskaner. Until then I doubt I would purchase it again.

2.55/5  rDev -36.9%

How have I not had this yet?

Franziskaner Lefe_Weisse

Pours a huge white creamy head. This is going to take a while to finish pouring. Forest of bubbles explode from the bottom of this beer. Though hard to see them through far more yeast and protein than expected.

Bananas and cloves as expected, but stronger is a sour aroma. What is happening here?

Cloves, bananas, touch of vanilla, and a light touch of sour to even the sweetness out. This beer is rather light in flavor and a touch lacking in some of the better qualities of a great wheat beer.

The mouth is really where this beer falls apart for me. All this head, bubbles, etc and it still comes off as thin and watery.

This is better than any American wheat beer, but it doesn’t stand up next to some of the better Germans. Still pretty good stuff on a hot summer day.

2.56/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Paid 9 bucks for this a few months ago at a local bar.
Taste was bland with just a little kick of hops and a hint of banana in the smell.
This was easy drinking but not memorable. Definitely not worth 9 bucks.

2.59/5  rDev -35.9%

I didnt like this beer. Although it does become better the more you drink it.
The appearance was cloudy with sediment floating in it. color was a goldish yellow.

The smell is moslty banana.

The taste is also of bananas. But I had a friend tell me it tasted like rotten tomates smell. Once I heard that I picked up a weird tomatoey taste as well. There is something in this that when it hits the back of my toungue in the first few drinks it makes me shiver like Im drinking something disgusting. But this does go away the more you drink it.

2.61/5  rDev -35.4%

Random pick from a mix'n'match. Haven't had a hefeweissen in a long time, let's see how this one goes. Pours a rusty, fizzy orange w/ a firm three inches of white head. Smells broadly, along with the whiff of wheat, of citrus, mostly lemon, some pineapple.

Taste is more bitter than I expected for the style. Pretty subdued otherwise though, especially compared to the scent. Goes down somewhat watery, with a little less fizz than the still-sparkling head-o-rama suggested. Honestly, I would've welcomed some more.

It's fairly drinkable, I'll give it that. Question is, would I seek to drink it again after this one? I'd say no. If this is representative of the style, then maybe I just don't take well to hefes.

2.61/5  rDev -35.4%

The Hefe-Weisse poured a delightfully creamy gold it had a thin head that quickly dissipated. It's smell was of malt and grain with hints of citrus. The taste was malty with no hops and a distinct aftertaste of sorghum (or other big grasses). The feel was oily and foamy.

This beer started off very promisingly with that beautiful creamy glass, the smell dropped off a bit, and the taste fell off the table. I had recently had the Hefe-Weisse Dunkel and found it to be an interesting beer, but not one i would buy regularly. I bought the blonde to see if it would be a better match for me, as I prefer the lighter beers. I could probably learn to live with the first half of the taste, but the second half is very unenjoyable. All I could think about was cutting Johnson Grass on a hot day. So I'll move on and find a better match somewhere else.

2.61/5  rDev -35.4%

I'd drink it but wouldn't buy it. Not too bad warm. If you follow the pouring directions it's better....

2.68/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a light yellow orange color with a two finger white head. The head gives way to some lacing. The aroma is kinda weak with a hint of coriander and maybe some orange. The taste was clove up front with a hint of citrus, however, the taste was very faint and it left me wanting more i felt it was a bit watery. The mouthfeel was good, good carbonation, and tangy. The drinkability is high, you could have a lot of these and be very fine.

2.7/5  rDev -33.2%

2.71/5  rDev -32.9%

wonderful gold color glows within the glass . It seems brighter than the light on my desk . Nice to look at . Tastewise that is where it is not my type . I like a little bite . It is weak I guess you can say . Is it bad ? No . But for this "-1st year BA apprentice-" I will try another type / style

2.74/5  rDev -32.2%

This was mid gold to light amber and densely cloudy
The head was pure white and dense with an active bead.
The smell was redolent of bread yeast and not particularly pleasant.
Initial taste is acidic/sour and not particularly nice however it finishes nicely with malt sweetness.The change is abrupt and challenging.
It has an astringent feel in the mouth
Overall I didnt enjoy this beer,but it may be that I just dont like wheat bears

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

Very Rare smell and taste, similar to New castles Brown ale so if you in to that beer you will love this one.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu