Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany
franziskaner-weissbier.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Also known as Franziskaner Weissbier and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell.

Added by Todd on 11-13-2001

Ratings: 4,520 |  Reviews: 1,698
2.61/5  rDev -35.4%

I'd drink it but wouldn't buy it. Not too bad warm. If you follow the pouring directions it's better....

2.68/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a light yellow orange color with a two finger white head. The head gives way to some lacing. The aroma is kinda weak with a hint of coriander and maybe some orange. The taste was clove up front with a hint of citrus, however, the taste was very faint and it left me wanting more i felt it was a bit watery. The mouthfeel was good, good carbonation, and tangy. The drinkability is high, you could have a lot of these and be very fine.

2.69/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A beer that lacks everything, aroma, taste in the mouth, subtlety, a point of alcohol. Only to spare the fame that has, for me, too big.

2.7/5  rDev -33.2%

2.71/5  rDev -32.9%

wonderful gold color glows within the glass . It seems brighter than the light on my desk . Nice to look at . Tastewise that is where it is not my type . I like a little bite . It is weak I guess you can say . Is it bad ? No . But for this "-1st year BA apprentice-" I will try another type / style

2.74/5  rDev -32.2%

This was mid gold to light amber and densely cloudy
The head was pure white and dense with an active bead.
The smell was redolent of bread yeast and not particularly pleasant.
Initial taste is acidic/sour and not particularly nice however it finishes nicely with malt sweetness.The change is abrupt and challenging.
It has an astringent feel in the mouth
Overall I didnt enjoy this beer,but it may be that I just dont like wheat bears

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

Very Rare smell and taste, similar to New castles Brown ale so if you in to that beer you will love this one.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

I poured this into a typical weiss bier glass. It has a dark, cloudy golden color with a decent 2-fingered head with good retention. The smell is yeasty with hints of banana and clove. The taste is of yeasty banana and malty with a very slight hop bitterness. I think I detect a trace of skunk…this could be from the store's method of storage (green bottle...florescent lighting) or how long it's been sitting there. I am in Bud, Miller & Olde Style country after all. It has a medium body that is very highly carbonated.

Overall, I'm disappointed. I tasted this beer from the cask in the Styrian region of Austria, which is very close to Bavaria. This is not quite the same beer I had there. I put an orange in about halfway through the glass to finish it off. Perhaps this deserves another chance at some point in the future.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

I got this the other day because the store was out of Paulaner. The store guy recommended it. No comparison to Paulaner. too much hint of alcohol in taste. Did not taste like a wheat beer to me.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

Served in official glass during brewery night at Flying Saucer.

A-Cloudy, golden color with thick foamy head. Does that head ever go down? Hold my lemon please.

S-Real mellow scent, that head just gets in the way when you want to stick your nose in there. Smell the wheat, citrus (stupid lemon) and spice notes.

T-Wheat malt stands out with a bready, buttery texture. Some citrus and coriander sneak through. Very faint sweat, off-taste.

M-Served kinda cold. Heavy on the tongue and kinda flat for all that head. Clean finish like it never happened.

D-I like hefe's but a like more spice and citrus and less malt. Not one of the better wheat beers from the Rhineland though I haven't found too many that make the trip across unscathed. Go with a fresher American version instead.

2.76/5  rDev -31.7%

I guess I am discovering that Hefe-Weisse is not my taste. At least this one isn't. As one reviewer called it, it's the cloves. Yes, that's the taste.. I don't like.

APP - Nice and cloudy, with a good foam that settles into a fair lace.
SMELL- Not much as I can tell. There is the yeast.
TASTE- this is where it loses me. As earlier stated, I now know that wheat must not be my taste. And those cloves! Uugh.
MOUTH- at this point does it matter?
NOTES- This beer is somewhat highly regarded. So be it. Just not for me.

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured into a Franziskaner hefe glass a nice pale orange-ish color and foamy head that was pretty thick. Refreashing and citrusy. It also is light yet a little more body than expected. I do hate when it is served with a lemon, I feel it just kills some of the natural flavor. I know the majority of people like it, but I do not. All in all, a very nice wheat.

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

This beer came in a sampler pack, and I think that it is past its prime: there is little punch to it like most Hefes, and the ingredients just seem to be sub-par. I could be wrong; this could be the way the beer was made. It pours a golden color with a little head. The smell is light and mostly wheat filled, with a hint of sweetness to it. The taste takes a while to develop, but when it does it comes in the back of the tongue with sweetness that I've come to love from Hefes. However, the finish is much like water, and doesn’t hold any real taste to it. I've seen it many places and its probably good to try for yourself at least once, but it doesn’t rank among my favorites for German Hefes.

2.81/5  rDev -30.4%

A poured from the 12 oz bottle into my tumbler.
CLOUDY with a finger and a half of white head.
yellow color
deliberately poured all the yeast into the glass.

S clean, unfamiliar smells

T is this lemony? not sure if I like this or not

M light body, medium carbonation

D funny taste - not sure I'll come back here.

2.85/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Short review here...

Nice big head that laces nicely.

Smells of watery orange and a slight hint of spice. The taste is a bit watery and a little too sweet like an overripe orange. Not really a bad thing but not something that I could not drink a lot of. The aftertaste is a bit mediciney for my tastes. Reminds me of baby aspirin.

The mouthfeel is a bit watery.

What we have here is just a decent beer but not anything that I would want to revisit. Sorry.

2.86/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours out of the green bottle a semi-hazy yellow with a touch of orange. Head runs rampant and nearly flows onto the counter, had to let the creamy head settle before I could finish pouring it.

Smell seemed a bit weak, might be my slight cold. Smells like bananas and beer, but not offensive at all, just odd. Not skunky either.

Taste seemed a bit watery, this my be due to the fact that the beer may have not been cold enough. Banana flavour with a bit of... something, not wheat or malt though. Strange aftertaste, sour.

Mouth seemed watery as well. Slightly creamy with a bit of a dry finish.

Drinkability doesn't seem very high, just about average.

2.86/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.87/5  rDev -29%

A: Huge head with a nice bit of cloudiness from the yeast in the bottle. Color is cloudy yellow. Very nice lacing.
S: Initially very bland. After a few sips, there was a nice wheaty smell with no real banana/clove smells.
T: Better than what the smells would lead me to believe. Some hints of bubblegum in the taste, with hints of lemons and bread. Nice sweet maltiness with low hop flavors.
M: Smooth drinking and clean. CO2 and alcohol seem to be in good levels.
D&N: The budweiser of hefe's. Nothing spectacular, nothing that is plain bad, just a middle of the road representation. Try it if you haven't, but don't expect a world class beer.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu