Spaten Dunkel | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2009

Reviews by LexShaw89:

3.92/5  rDev +6.8%

One of the double-plus benefits of living at Chez Woody is the six-pack bottle shop out my back door & across a short parking lot. I like to go in & browse, shoot the breeze with my neighbors & generally keep my hand in. Occasionally, something will just jump out at me, like tonight, when I spied a rack (sixer) of these sitting on the room temperature shelf. My neighbor was equally baffled and discounted the price since they were not cold. I love my house, my neighborhood & my neighbors!

From the bottle: "Brewed in Munich Germany since 1397".

Once the cap was Pop!ped, I employed an aggro pour that produced a finger-plus of rich, thick, deep-tan/light-brown head with good retention. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a treacle-like sweetness and it reminded me, just as Cuz Colby did last night, that I really need to read my copy of "Malt". Is this melanoidin? I don't know, but I am interested. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was nutty, bready, treacle-like and very drinkable. The finish was semi-sweet, making it all the more enjoyable. I can go for years without sweet stuff and this was only slightly sweet, just enough to be enjoyable without doing me in. I am gifting the remaining five to my tasting club tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see what they think.

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a medium russet color with a a slight amber hue, a sticky off white head atop,aromas of caramel and light roast mainly with a slight tinge of iron.Just well rounded flavors of cocoa with light caramel sweetness,not much hop presence but I didnt expect any.Its easy drinking with some nicer subtle flavors to be had.

Appearance - This is a very pretty beer. The liquid is dark but not black, more like a darkish brown, but very even with a nice, fluffy off-white head that showed great retention.

Smell - The aroma here really needs to open up as the beer warms, but once it does you get some wonderful sweetish malts just filled with a rich, rich caramel smell.

Taste - The malts here come out nicely and lack that overly bitter bite you find with many cheap efforts at the style. Simplicity reigns here with some big caramel malt flavors and a slight hint of burnt toast.

Mouthfeel - This is light-bodied with some nice, moderate carbonation and a smooth bitterness that is caressed with the gooey sugars into a nice, warm finish.

Drinkability - This is incredibly smooth and quite the rewarding treat. Really this and the Ayinger MDL and maybe the Hofbrauhaus's effort are the only good examples of the style commonly available around the US that I've tried thus far.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Deep red color with a small, off-white head.

The aroma is clean with sweet malt, caramel candy, and biscuit.

Soft malts on the palate with a touch of earthy hops and a nice, chocolaty fade into a long finish. Mellow carbonation, the mouthfeel is a tad thin, though not watery. Definately a solid beer.

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured from a green 12oz bottle into a Pilsener glass. There was no noticeable freshness date on the bottle.

Appearance: It has a deep reddish amber body that is very dark but also has good clarity. On top there is a thin light tan head that fades quickly down to a ring of lacy foam.

Smell: The aroma has just a simple sweet caramel malty presence with no hint of hops at all.

Taste/Mouth: The flavor has a candy like sweetness with caramel, light roasted notes and very light floral hops in the background. The palate has a sweet malty finish, soft carbonation and a modest medium body that is very drinkable.

Notes: It reminds me of a lighter bodied, average tasting bock beer. It's simple and sweet but not cloying, so I could see myself drinking a few more of these.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A: This beer poured a nice dark, almost brown, but seemed a bit more amber in the light.

S: The smell was very dark, and earthy, with roasted barley smells.

T: The taste was very good overall, it was fairly sweet for the aroma that I was picking up, and it finished with a pumpkin aftertaste.

M: The mouthfeel was good, it was smooth and finished smooth, not too much carbonation on this one.

D: I'd rate this higher if it was priced more effectively, and I know, some are going to say, you get what you pay for when you purchase beer, while I agree with that sentiment, I still feel beer of all styles and all greatness should be reasonably priced.

Overall, good beer, I'd recommend it for a fall, or early winter beer. Cheers.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Brilliant light brown pour under a thin cream colored head that quickly recedes to a thin film. Dark bread aromas, meloindins, some malt sweetness but no roast malt aromas, very smooth, medium body, medium low carbonation, there are dark meloidin flavors but they are not dark sugars and are not roast or dark malts.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

2.76/5  rDev -24.8%

A pour that looked like a generic cola, dark brown flimsy beige carbonation head that falters on the side of the glass. Harsh aroma, not pleasant, alcohol and industrial cleaner type of aroma. Can't recall seeing a beer of this color (dark) in a green bottle.

Taste was a little better, the aroma harshness was a little much, not as bitter or alcoholic as I was expecting it to be. Flavor is lighter and easy going, don't let the color fool you. Some licorice like notes got in there though, I don't know if that's the yeast or what. Not really getting the dark roast flavors, just the bitterness, which, while less than I expected after getting hit in the nose with the smell, is still above average for style.

Overall, this is an average dunkel lager, with a far below average aroma. Sheesh. Bring on the nail polish!

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

On tap
Dark amber brown with a durable foamy beige head.
Surprisingly rich and nutty aroma. This is followed up by the flavor which is nutty but not rich. The feel is a bit too thin and might benefit from a touch higher carbonation.

3.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A real nice dark red/brown colour with a slight khaki head.
Malt and caramel aromas.
Sweetness, nutty, malt flavours.
Mild mouth feel. Nice and gentle carbonation.
Quality German beer! Before the craft beer explosion, this would have been a favorite.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle from a mixed pack received as a gift.

Pours a clear chestnut color with a one-finger light tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of sticky dark caramel malts with hints of nuttiness.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Dark caramel malt flavors that are lightly toasted kick things off and are followed by a hint of nuttiness that carries through to a mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my bottle without a problem however I'm not sure I'd like another.

Overall this beer didn't have a whole lot going on to make it stand out but I thought it was solid. Worth a shot.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a green bottle (scary!!!!) into a pils glass. It looks good despite my initial fear from being in a stinky green bottle. The beer is garnet with dollops of just off white suds. Not a bad start.

The nose is sweet and has a full malt aroma. Slightly toasted in the background but not overly caramelized. Nice and simple.

A fine lager. Clean and crisp with a meaty malt backbone. There is a nice subtle bitterness that works well to just balance the larger grain presence. Again, simple and fantastic.

The mouthfeel is the only thing that slips a little in my book. It tends to be a little tart and not really a full bodied beer as the style should be. The carbonation is also a tad aggressive which sizzles a little much and distracts from the fine malt profile. It is however an easy drinking beer and one I've been happy to wrap my soup coolers around.

Spaten Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu